#002 - Recycled for a good cause

Painted the dark blue panels on the deck today. Tomorrow I’ll tape everything again and do the light blue panels. It takes so long to paint everything with a roller.

I ordered resin and cloth on Monday, so hopefully they’ll get here by the weekend. I also need to order fin boxes from ProBox. With luck the whole thing will be done in two weeks.

Nice! those are very nice curves\lines. I think I might need to borrow that design someday, if you dont mind :wink:



Finished painting the board today. Now I just need to wait for resin and cloth to arrive and I can start glassing. I’m pretty excited about UV cure resin. No more waiting 6 hours for my epoxy to cure.

Great work, can’t wait to see it glassed.

I’m a lot less excited about UV resin. I bought a gallon, and short of quick ding repair fixes, I don’t want to use it again. I love epoxy, and I’m not ashamed to say it. The smell alone is the number one reason to switch. And I’ve been living with that smell for the last 24 hours because it will not get out of my house. I had to glass indoors because I don’t have a garage sealed off from the light to work in. Every window and a couple of the doors are open, and were all night. It still lingers. I HATE that smell.

Fortunately it provided me with an hour to two hour working time, because it was a lot tougher this time around. The bottom was pretty easy to glass, I went with freelaps because cutlaps would be a pain with a painted board. I don’t like freelaps either. I tried my best to sand them flat, but I clearly didn’t spend enough time. They were bad enough that there are air bubbles all over the deck. And they’re not subtle. Especially on dark blue.

Anyway, glassed the bottom with one layer of 6 oz E. For me the hardest parts are the nose and the tail. I still haven’t found a good way to make relief cuts that don’t create air bubbles. Since all of the laminates I put on have white backgrounds I had to paint the backs of them. For a couple of them I cut out several stencils so paint didn’t get everywhere. It worked pretty well on the bottom lam, the top ones had too much paint and didn’t fair too well. The lam for the website had to be hand painted. It turned out pretty good, going very slowly with a small brush and a little bit of white acrylic.

More pictures of the board.

Today I’ve got to go back and fix a couple of the larger air bubbles and do something about the nose and tail. Then hotcoat both sides. Afterwards I can install the ProBox plugs and leave it be. Might add some pinlines to hide the color transition. And maybe a second hotcoat since I don’t have any gloss resin. How well does hotcoat resin polish out?

Hey Rachel, bubbles are not that bad. That’s why champaign tastes so good.

Seriously, don’t worry too much: all of us (and I mean ALL) have had bubbles on our first laminations. It’s not funny, especially when you spent a lot of time on a shape and it looks fine and a lot of time on the deco and it’s fine, too. And then you glass and the next thing you know you feel like smashing the whole mess with an axe because it’s soooooo horrible…

I believe that the only way to do a good lamination on the first time is to do it with an experienced glasser…

Now, cut those bubbles open, fill them up and hot-coat. More time, for sure, but everything can be fixed.

Polyester smell will stick to everything for a long time, so it’s not a good idea to glass indoor.

Hey Rachel,

Did you print those logos yourself? How did you get the printer to print white? Did you just paint the white on? Your board’s comming along nicely BTW.




I didn’t print them myself. My color inkjet likes to print everything in green. I had pierpontscott print them and ship them to me. I had to paint the back of them. I just got a can of flat white spray paint. It’s hard to know how opaque they’re going to be. I definitely overdid it on the lams for the deck. They sort of bled through in places if you use too much paint.

god on ya Rach !

welcome to the messy. smelly world of polyester resin …mmmmmm…polyester !

[It’s probably like smoking …I would imagine [not being a smoker myself] that the people that take it up generally wouldn’t LOVE that first intake of carbon dioxide , tar , nicotine and other assorted crap going down their throat and lungs , but after a while , they are addicted and pretend not to notice the smell , the taste and the overall lack of fitness .]

EXCEPT …you have a finished BOARD , something to show for your labour and money ! So, ENJOY it !

Now , can I see a few shots of the WHOLE board , please ?



Last night I hotcoated the bottom, and this morning I hotcoated the deck. Yes, I know, backwards order, but that’s just the way things turned out. The hotcoat on the deck turned out a little lumpy, but that’s because it was getting close to 90 degrees out and it was fairly humid. It started to gel just as I started to level it out. There are some spots on the rails that didn’t get covered, so I’ll have to go back and fix those. The bottom turned out fairly nice. I managed to get a very nice resin edge in the last 1/3 of the tail. This thing is going to slice through the water.

Tonight will probably be more sanding and routing out for fin boxes and a leash plug. I can’t add pinlines just yet because there isn’t enough resin on the rails to sand them. And unfortunately I’m going on vacation for ten days tomorrow. Once I get back I’ll have roughly a day to finish it completely before its debut at the DC chapter’s Paddle on the Potomac on the 26th. It’s going to be interesting is all I can say.

Another picture of the deck for Ben. I’ll make sure when it’s done to get a shot of the rocker and foil. And of course the fin setup.

And also my take on modern art. I call it “Wasted”