10’6 x 9.5 x 21.75 x 11 x 3 7/8 first gun build thread

Thanks for the kind words reverb, I haven’t had much experience with the beaked noses. As I mentioned in an earlier post they just seen to be common to the other guns ridden around here and it was easy for me to understand the reasoning behind it. I myself usually prefer much less volume in the nose, but I guess this thing will never get duck dived … the outline is inspired by some other boards I’ve looked at by local shapers and some boards had a look at recently on the Northshore. 

By the way the photos are Japan. You’re right, brick houses are very rare in these parts. 

Impressive project !

I have no clue about boards like that, but it looks very harmoniuous to me. And I like the look of the beak nose.

Hello again Bill. Looks like you may have caught me out. I never considered the target weight for the board before the build. Just the target dimensions. I knew with the length and thickness that it was going to be much heavier than anything ive built before. Im guilty of just accepting that the board is going to be ‘heavy’. Its a challenge to understand how the slight difference in weight will change the ride apart from the basic physics. How heavy is too heavy for a gun of this size? what do you think i should have aimed for? I dont want to skimp on the glassing which leads to more questions.Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. Ive read many of your posts on the topics, many of the things you shared help me get to this point.

look at the tail on that beauty! Must take a different way of thinking to ride something like that! One of the old boards I try to ride at the spot I’m building the gun for has a very narrow tail. I’m struggling to surf it well. 

Thanks Huck. Fin position is my next challenge. So many option to consider. What would you go for? I’ll keep you posted!

Hey thanks man. I’ve really been inspired by the quality of your workmanship. Your builds always look so nice. Love looking over your build threads. Look forward to many more. 

mmm

9 years old and still going…https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/i-missed-class-106-quad-fin-gun

Ace! The Ace from that funny funny wicked thread!!! awesome!! i read it right through before i started on the board and noted many things but couldnt find it again in the sea of gun threads. Thanks so much, cant wait to give it another read now my project is underway. Ace! well i never!!! PS Did she dump that fella or what?!!

She dumped him…Andy Carter picked up the board and has been putting it to proper use. 

I see. I saw some of the photos of the board being ridden in some real waves. Look like it went to a ggod home. I found the information about shaping the rails to fit in your hand so useful. When shaping the bands i had a rough idea of where to go, but found my self 'sculpting ’ carefully a small section based on my hand, measuring carefully the area i sculpted and applying to the entire board. Sound like a hack i know.

With some help from some Swaylocks legends I was able to settle on fin set up and position for the 2+1. 101/2” Bahne fin box around 6” up from tail to be installed after glassing, side bites at 17 1/4” up set at 1 1/8 in from the rail with1/8 of an inch toe in. All installed with my state of the art super expensive futures instal kit. I hope that I’ll get to ride it as a single sometimes. Just need to sand off the pencil marks and get into lamination. 

I reckon good call on the triple stringer. I made a 9’2" gun a few years back. It had a nice heavy glass job but I snapped it the first time I took it out in some serious size. Wished I’d glued some more stringers in it, or at least a thicker central stringer. 

yeah it has three stringers but not that thick and only ply. Hope its enough. when you say heavy glass job, what did you go with?

Been really tough to get any work done on the board. Finally found a spare minute. I have limited experience with foam staining and resin tinting so I thought I’d try on this one. I want the tail patch to be visible so added a foam stain under the tail patch. Full bottom lam with double 6 oz tomorrow. Please pipe in if you see something that’s not looking right. 

Tail patch,logo and bottom lam done. More details tonight. What an epic. Logo looks a bit strange but it had the name of a surfbreak written in there, and id likely get my balls chopped off if i shared it on the internet. The bottom has a 6oz tail patch with two full layers of 6oz. really tough to wet out and i allllmmmooosssttt totally screwed it as the resin started to kck. Boards is 2 1/2’ longer than anything i have glassed before. managed to recover, but color in some area of the rails is a bit streaked, hoping to cover it up when i lam the deck tomorrow. all just cosmetic site anyhoo.

6oz resin tinted inlay on the deck. 

Looking good.  Such a solid board!

[Quote]Logo looks a bit strange but it had the name of a surfbreak written in there, and id likely get my balls chopped off if i shared it on the internet.
[/quote]

You run with a rough crowd.

Board looking great!

Thanks John, im afraid too solid! two full 6 oz on the bottom, 6 oz deck patch and 2 full 6oz over that. Shes heavy! Havent put it on the scales…scared to that…definately wont want to get in the way of this thing!!!