5-fin convertables

These are the boards that can be a twin, twinzer, thruster or quad. Can this be possible or do we really need one of each?

I'm getting requests for quads with the thruster option. Guys who have had quads before and enjoyed them seem to have the confidence not to need that 5th plug set-up.

The front fin position for a quad becomes a compromise when its also to be a thruster...not much in it, and reports are that the thruster option works.

For guys coming off thrusters its a guarantee the board will give them the familiar feeling, but ironically for me as a bad-seed saying its all deadweight, the quad ends up being the one they stick with, the thruster option becoming redundant.

There is progressively diminishing returns with increased fin numbers:- The discernible differences are reduced, say, between a 3 fin and 5 fins, let alone going to six or seven!

Like the Twin-fin-with-stabiliser...When is it just a thruster? When does a Quad-with-stabilizer just become a thruster?

And when does it all get ridiculous!?

There's a case for both versatility and speciality. Speciality if you can afford it!

On the speciality end, I'm revising my favourite twin-fin with some more raked fins in progress right now, because I hate the weight of plugs...

Back to pure twin-fin appeals to me...12mm thick d-cell core fins with more rake, like Webbers...Thick foils will help decrease cavitation issues which contribute to twin-fin tendency to drift.

Josh

www.joshdowlingshape.com

Speedneedle. So your saying that the front two fins on a quad are in a different position than the front two on a tri ,

and you can’t have the best of both worlds?

i’m doing a 5-fin convertible right now. the fronts on my flyer are at 11 3/16. the fronts on one of my stretch quads are at 11 9/16. both 1 1/4 off the rail; same toe. i’m going to put my fronts at 11 3/8.

[quote="$1"]

These are the boards that can be a twin, twinzer, thruster or quad. Can this be possible or do we really need one of each?

[/quote]

Yes you can do multiple board set-ups with the right adjustment options. KEY WORD is ADJUSTMENT options. Having Forward and BACK adjustment with no CANT option not good in this type of board set-up. Having different CANToptions with tiny adjustment for and aft not good. Having TAB placement on fins for certain fin set-ups is important also. If you are trying to find a quad postion using thruster fins, always expect a compromise. And most important box placements, with some systems having to big of a foot print and others having to small of a foot print.These are the first things most finsystems have limitation with. Because most older finsystems were used in a side bite and thruster market, never even thinking about Quads or convertable type boards until around 2003 and coming on stronger in 2006 till now.

Here's a JC 5 fin set-up pretty sandard like speedneedle set-up but with limitations because of placement. This board will never ride as a Twinzer or a Twin fin. It has a Thruster set-up perfect but question the Quad set-up. Although  some people liking this Quad placement depending on the surf spot.

Mahalo,Larry

www.ProBox-Larry.Blogspot.com

[quote="$1"]

[/quote]

Buy just changing the position of the 2 rear boxes this board now can ride has a TWIN, Quad, Twinzer or Thruster.

Mahalo, Larry

So Larry. Are you saying the convetable works ,is limited,or in its infancy stage. I’m really intrigued by the pro-box fins, but when I talk to my local shaper ,he says you can mess with cant and foreawrd aft positions but you will end up with the standard placement in the end.I stubbornly  dissagree only because I’m always trying new things but can’t afford a whole quiver. So what would be a good board and fin setup with pro-box’s to experament a with?

Would a standard truster with pro-box work by adjusting cant for either peaky or down-the-line surf?     Give me some idea’s!

Looks like you beat me posting this up? Cool idea. What about the standard thuster idea too?

Who can shape me the board above? Any Pro-box friendly shapers on the west coast USA?

[quote="$1"]

So Larry. Are you saying the convetable works ,is limited,or in its infancy stage.

[/quote]

Yes the convertible concept or as I like to call it the VERSA-PLANE concept works, with the RIGHT components.

Mahalo,Larry

[quote="$1"]

So Larry.  I'm really intrigued by the pro-box fins, but when I talk to my local shaper ,he says you can mess with cant and foreawrd aft positions but you will end up with the standard placement in the end.I stubbornly  dissagree only because I'm always trying new things but can't afford a whole quiver.

[/quote]

Your shaper is completely wrong! I have had some shapers tell me that they don't want to have their boards be to diverified because they would sell less boards. This coming from a few main stream guys, so that's why it's more important for people to know their equipment more than ever.

Mahalo,Larry

[quote="$1"]

So Larry.

Would a standard truster with pro-box work by adjusting cant for either peaky or down-the-line surf?     Give me some idea's!

[/quote]

Most common Thruster front fins are 6-degree cant. Which in a peaky fast beach break condition may be stiff for some if the waves are to small or the surfer isn't a powerful guy to start with.

Down the line surf up to 5 ft. your front fins would be canted at 6-degree approx. and over 5 ft canted at 4-degree approx. Having the rear fin all the way back, approx. 3 1/2" from tail.

Peaky Beach Break up to 5 ft. front fins canted at 8-degree approx. and over 5 ft. canted at 6-degree approx. with back fin back in box. If the waves are breaking slow because of high tide are mushy conditions move the rear fin forward to make the board more responsive without changing the front fins.

Mahalo,Larry 

[quote="$1"]

Looks like you beat me posting this up? Cool idea. What about the standard thuster idea too?

Who can shape me the board above?

[/quote]

JC can shape you the above board, just tell him what you want.

Mahalo,Larry 

[quote="$1"]

Any Pro-box friendly shapers on the west coast USA?

[/quote]

I think alot of shapers are friendly if you tell them what you want and want to experience. But if they are stuck inside 4 square walls and tell you different things like that's to Heavy or to many options you will never use them, because of such in such is doing it with no answer of their own. Then you are talking to the wrong shaper anyway!

Mahalo,Larry

[quote="$1"]

Who can shape me the board above? Any Pro-box friendly shapers on the west coast USA?

[/quote]

Here's two different style Thruster Set -ups in this JC Board.

[quote="$1"]

[/quote]

Or Standard Thruster board like this guy's from Hawaii. ProBoxes in the board using his FCS fins to enjoy the adjustment features of ProBox.

Mahalo, Larry

FCS fins fit in Pro-box ?

What board model is the JC you posted?

[quote="$1"]

[/quote]

Yes FCS fits and adjust in ProBox with no modification of the FCS fins, like in the pic of this Griff Twin with G-10 FCS fins inside ProBoxes.

Mahalo, Larry

[quote="$1"]

[/quote]

This JC board is called a TRD, It's 5'6" by 20 1/2" by 2 3/4". Make sure to explain the rear box positions for unlimited adjustments to JC for Calif. surf.

Mahalo,Larry

Thanks Larry.Pro-box are going on my next board for sure. TRD …would that be the turd model? Do they come in brown?

[quote="$1"]

Thanks Larry.Pro-box are going on my next board for sure. TRD ...would that be the turd model? Do they come in brown?

[/quote]

That would be it, LOL!!!!! I guess you can get any color you want. Thanks for asking the questions you did. These are the most common questions and thoughts other people inquire and talk about. If you need any help please ask and WELCOME to the PROBOX MOVEMENT my friend.

Mahalo, Larry