9'2 Chambered Balsa & Redwood Pig build

Log out as one, log in as another.

Sorry for chiming in late! Board looks great, nice job done! 

I did a chambered once with my first own build, finally it is a waste of wood. Since that, I’ve realized all my builds as Hollow Wooden Surfboards. Building a HWS is much easier than at first sight. And it need a lot less wood. I get my balsa premilled as 2mx20cm blanks, at various thicknesses from 2-10mm. For my last longboard the wood was about 160€. So material costs do play in a 200$ range in total, including epoxy, glue, glass and usually a finbox. And additionally a balsa HWS is much lighter. My latest 9’2 was slightly above 6kg (approx. 12-13lbs), I suppose your pig is close to 9 kg (18-20lbs)? I like lighter boards, but this is preference, a heavier board may have its positive aspects.

As a coincidental historical aside: Velzy’s Grandfather was an accomplished woodworker, in fact he built Teddy Roosevelts casket. Many of the woodworking tools Velzy used early on had belonged to his grandad. 

ER;  Thanks for all the detail about the issues you faced and the final result shows that you worked through them successfully.  Like you, both my grandfather’s were woodworkers, one of them was an Art Deco pro and did all the finish work in the downtown L.A. post office which was built back in the '30’s.  I have some of their tools and have given some to my son.  About 15 years ago I got a commission to do 4 longboards based on Harbour’s Trestle Special with tripple stringers.  Two of them were to have T band stringers on the outside.  As I was finishing the final shaping I kept having issues with the stringers at the rail.  I went to Rich (RIP, teach) and explained what was the issue.  He loaned me one of his planes with his hand sharpened blade.  I couldn’t believe how well it cut the stringers to the finished shape.  The blade was so sharp that you could get foam shavings thinner than a sheet of paper!  I’ve never been able to get my blades that sharp.  I will probably buy more wood than I need to at least limit some of the bowing.  Q:  What was your final rocker numbers?  Thanks again for replying, Just my 2c…

Wonder where those tools are now.  His son shapes a few boards on Maui.  Dave Gott does the glassing.  Wonder if he inherited them or if they are still with Dale’s wife.  His son does a decent job of those old models like the “Malibu Express” etc.

Many of them are at SHACC and some still on display. FWIW after 13 years there, 5 as a volunteer and 8 as a paid staff member I quit at the end of July. They brought in a new 30 something director who just rubbed me the wrong way.  

Surfteach, isn’t it funny what gets passed down? I have only a small fraction of my grandather’s tools - rightly so - I was one of about 16 grandkids and all of them treasured their time with him. His tools were spread among us. 

More valuable than the souvenirs was the time spent with him learning, and more valuable than that was getting to grow up in a space where these sorts of projects were a source of fun and bonding rather than unpleasant chores. To this day I’d rather hang out in someone’s garage or workshop than their living room.  

Measurements - I ended up with a 3 1/4" tail kick and a 2 1/4 low nose rocker. I was worried about it being that low but had zero issues with it in the water. It’s been an enjoyable board to surf. 

Sweet!