A couple builds for a great mentor Bill T

Da man has mad skills .

This one was a far gone restoration/mod that started as a solid redwood/pine board that was pulled from under a house here in town. 

had no rocker and a 6" tail block - we thought it may have originally been a display of some sort - my buddy wanted it to be something true to it’s time/weight and something he could actually ride and then display at his house. 

board was missing a rail - I had recently tore down our old fence that was constructed of old growth redwood which made for a perfect rail replacement and a personal touch haha. Was also plagued with quite a few termite holes so some filling was needed. 

board was skinned and bleached to get rid of the mold  

I did most of the shaping by handplanes out under a fruit tree outside my shed. A very cool experience. 

at 83lbs it’s a beast by today’s standard and a light weight compared to some that I studies at SHACC. I did actually get a few decent rides on it before handing it over. No wax needed! 

Ha! GB - I thought you may enjoy this one. I know you saw the hotcurl I made out of the log I got from Bill - this one wasn’t quite as much work haha. 

Pieces of art, i would be scared to use and damage them !

lament - they are just surfboards - I enjoy the process, I could care less if a board end up in the rocks on the first surf, it’s all fixable. In my eyes a perfect shiny board is pretty boring it needs to be ridden, why else would you make em?? Surfboard should be working class (but they can look good doin it). 

Good Lord those are beautiful. I’d be happy to make a board half as nice as those. 

Haven’t seen anyone do a bead using that method in at. least 25 years.  Nichols put heavy beads like that on fins he did on the Noll wooden boards He was doing up at the chicken ranch in Los Berros, but used a different  method.  Learn that from bill?   How did you finish them of?  4oz?

Excellent work. BRAVO ZULU

Still can’t thank you enough for the help with the Hotcurl. - invaluable to be able to touch and see in real life!!! Anyone who hasn’t been to SHACC should put it on the todo! 

slow is fast - anyone can do it. It’s in you, just let it out. Don’t worry about making anyone happy. Just build what’s in you and true to who you are. 

Incredible boards. I don’t have the words. Mike

stunning work…major props