A winged keel widowmaker .......

Hey Ben, post a rocker shot of your board with that fin, would you please? And then I trust you’re going to give a riding impression. I don’t understand why supposedly side fins don’t work well with that fin–I’d sorta like to get your impressions with and without the sides, if you plan on riding the Bushfire both ways…

Thanks bro

i had one of those fins when i was a grommit

it was on a 5 11 freeflight channel bottom pintail

it worked great

as good as the 80 s thrusters that were around at the time

board eventually died though

God bless the spitfire wings that adorn the Starfin…

hey CHIP!!! got an extra one of those fins…

Sure would like to try that on my stingray!!!

Paul

Chipster, very interesting. you know if you can somehow get a chicken bone or even better a raw chicken wing to fit in that back plug, your board will fly. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

zosurf lives !!

It’s GREAT to have you back here , mate . [Now all we need is ‘Skeletor’, too ?!]

Janklow , I will see what I can do. I probably should have taken the keel with me today , as in four hours , with empty waves , it would have been the perfect day for it ! [maybe if “sandy groper” and I ever do another sunday session there , I’ll try and remember to take it , okay ? ]

Shipman …fresh out of chook wings , sorry mate !

zo, nup, i’ve just got the one winged keel , at the moment , sorry .

[I’ll keep an eye out for if they are ever on special here , though ?]

HOW is your “stingray” going , by the way …will you give us a riding report any time soon , please ?

Well , cheers for your unexpected feedback , guys !

ben

Hi Chip…where has the surf gone…looks like swells ewverywhere but ear…that board with the star-fin…when itried with three fins seemed to much fin…plenty hold im sure thew right size would be nice…is that u in the pic?

thanks Cheyne !

how big of side fins have you used with a winged keel ??

I have only ever used them as SINGLE fins .

“is that you in the photo ?”

nah Cheyne ,

that is the surfing legend , in the TRUE sense of the word , 94 year old Woody Brown who rode massive waves in hawaii some 20 years before we were even born mate , according to the link in my signature …check it out !

here he is again …

(even your mate 47y.o. ‘Buttons’ , in that photo with you and Garrett at Bondi recently , didn’t look quite THAT aged by the sun !)

Cheyne, if you’re still around, can you give me a clue on what kind of tail (and nose?) rocker your fin works with–I’d like to get one from my local shop, and I want to get the board drawn so it makes sense.

Thanks if possible!

By the way

SALUTE

not least for stepping up at that wave park contest many years ago and calling it what it was

well, I am not Cheyne obviouly Janks , but here is a profile shot of my ‘bushy’ fishtail board , showing the [ 1 1/2" ] tail rocker …hope that helps , mate ?

…and , finally , here it is , with the winged keel [9" up ?! yikes]. Sorry about the delay in getting this shot to you , Janks !

cheers !

ben

Yeah it does. Thanks ya handsome devil.

I tried to line it all up on APS3000–looks like where the fin’s actually mounted, on the fin centerline, the tail rocker is about 1/2" – remind me, is your fish about a 5’8-10"?

Correct if wrong. If right, it LOOKS like the fin does have about 1/2" of tail rocker factored into the Y wing’s attitude. Important for me–thank you brother

5’8 x 21 1/2" concaved deck …this was taken in february this year [OUR summer , here !]. Hicksy and I both have much the same ‘haircut’ in summer here … it’s waaay too hot for long hair then !!

here I am again , sporting my after-winter growth …taken two days ago

[this was at “nudey tubes” , early in the morning . And , no …we did NOT surf naked , in answer to ‘zap’/ 'sandy’s wife’s question !!]

Thanks, Ben

Man that thing really does look like a seaweed catcher–hasn’t been too bad around here lately…

more …

Quote:

Hey Ben, post a rocker shot of your board with that fin, would you please? And then I trust you’re going to give a riding impression. I don’t understand why supposedly side fins don’t work well with that fin–I’d sorta like to get your impressions with and without the sides, if you plan on riding the Bushfire both ways…

Thanks bro

hiya Janks !

I’m keen to try it with THIS setup , it “may” work okay ? [hopefully …]

to be continued …hopefully for the rest of this week , IF the forecast is right …

cheers !

ben

sooooo strange me and josh were just talking about those fins today at our school library and i get home and look on sways and here it is again.

i want one of those fins to stick in my bumble bee. dose any one know where i can get one?

www.cheynehoran.com.au

haha, you see Ben librians are nicer at coastal towns rather than sydney. remember the swaylocks delinquint thread where i got booted out of that other library

Cheyne or anyone…

Have you ever tryed a Raked out starfin?? As i always see them straight up and down.

Just a desgn thought. Or wat about a cut away star??

The only one i have ever seen was on a longboard here in NZ.

TOTALLY surprised me when i saw it. It was like WOAH, i wud have never thought to see one in nz.

I talked to the guy and he loves them, totally hooked. Would be fun to try on myself, just couldnt handle the

effort of making one lol.

Chris

Benno, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much. I can cut and paste those into my PDF of the Horan inspired double ender…

Wanna see?

Quote: