Advanced sanding...

What is it that brings out all this hostility in surfers who share the same passion. Is it really that hard to agree to disagree. I was able to come to peace and a understanding with others and if a old Dick like me can you guys can too. One more thing good Sanders are a Shapers best friend.
B)

sssssssaaaaaaayyyyng somethinnnnggggg annnnnngggggrrrryyyyyy!!! I love lamp…

So, Thirdshade, has all this varied advice enabled you to ''step up'' your sanding technique and take your finishes to the next level?

I just read through this whole thread, and I have to say it makes for great comedy, and there are some techniques and information here.  Here is my opinion, if your not competent or scared by all means block the whole thing out, with a long block, but its not necessary if the board was machine sanded correctly.  Take your time, and the quality will show, if you don’t the weave, or worse the foam will.  Airflow and good lighting, both side and top help to see things like shineys.  Sanding a board quickly is like a race car driver who knows his car and the course he has to take, shifting gears around fins and slowing down around the curves (rails); so be care in your approach, or else you may just kill somebody.

Yes bill it’s really coming together. Many thanks to all that have contributed. The last few boards have seen considerable improvement however I’m yet to try a gloss finish with my new approach…next time I do one I’ll post the result…
Cheers all
Rich
Www.thirdshade.com

yep read the whole thing

almost fell asleep on  page five

but jumped back awake

and persevered till the end.

threads like this should have

a test to get college credits.

tanks prof.sano for the patient input.

I feel greater . my synapses are ready

to turn on the grinder … sanding a rain hat

for my outdoor drill press dont use anything

but my mini grinder with a hard rubber pad 

spins and rockin good time glossin’ w/ epoxy

not ready for prime time production display 

but does the job ^^^ OHHHH BABY !

the master class is not open to closed minds

or opinionated sediment… thanks again sano

esta muy sano!

…ambrose…

after all real californians are part mexican

in espanol;

no beso a los sapos

http://www.spanishdict.com/translation

[quote="$1"] Aloha Thirdshade,

Something to keep in the back of your mind, when preparing to sand that special board (any board), is that sanding the glass coat ''is the final step in the shaping process.''    Much can be influenced when ''tuneing'' the rails, especially in the tail.    I start the block sanding process with a hard block of Alder or Pine, and finish off with a softer block of Balsa.    If putting a sharp release edge in the tail, as on a Gun, I stick with a hard block all the way in that area. [/quote]

The best pro machine sand jobs I've ever seen, can always be taken to a higher level, with careful accurate block sanding.     It really is the final step in shaping.   Just one more step in the quest for perfection. 

Looking for two sanders 2800 and a 5000 variable speed Milwaukees. I have a second shaping room to set up. I am so over hauling around my tools. I’m always leaving the wrong tools behind. 

@ The Rat  good points Prep is the key. A good sander is only as good as the the Hot Coat. If you want perfect sands have the sander hot coat. If ya want a perfect polish make him the glosser. 

Is it really spring? Its colder then I can remember. 51 to 54 water temps sucks.

forget the thermometer

check the sunset sunrise times

and then check th fruit set.

here the mangos are as bib as a small thumb 

getting dark well after seven

and sunrise getting earlier too.

what in your town it’ll be peaches and cherries?

spring has sprung … as you awake believe

your tools are about to materialize,

today is garage sale day stop and turn

at that magnetic cosmic garage sale sign

and get your tools from that old man who

hasn’t turned em on for years still in

the original box…

when I wake up some times 

I just feel better.

…ambrose…

Ambrose, now we have tangerines, tangelos, navels, grapefruit, lemons, limes, fuerte avocados, macadamia nuts, and a few purple lilikoi going off, and all to be had in the neighborhood with only the effort that comes from picking it myself.  One of my favorite things is to do picking that stuff, and sharing it, until people start expecting me to pick it and deliver.  And my kids are the worst when its pomegranate time, for I’ll remove the seeds, and put them in the freezer for later, only to return later to empty bags; it took them a while to figure out how good they are.  

My fruit trees are in bloom.  Peaches and nectarines so far.  The plums are lagging behind.

Ahhhhh… pomegranites.  So many good childhood memories around those.  The best were in an old ladies back yard with the nasty little biting dog.  So big and heavy… some nearly touched the ground. Sneak along the top of the brick wall,  listen and look for the dog, pick your pom before you hit the ground, and run your ass off, grab it and l sprint back to the safety of the wall laughing your ass off when the little son of a bitch came barking and chasing us from around the corner!!!  Sit on the street curb in the smoggy heat scraping the seeds off with your teeth, fingers and faced stained for the next day or two.  

We’re having a late winter I hope.  Water is spring cold though.  Once the Humbolt gradient starts up and the kelp begins to fill in we’ll be into some great afternoon wind swell.  Mike

my tip to anyone learning to sand is...................

.............. grab a beater............. fix it.............. and start sanding.

if you kill the beater.......................you can fix it again and again until you get it right.

i'm down to one sander right now...........as all the others have died and gone to heaven.

my makita 2 speeder(2800/3400).it my oldest and has out lived between a dozen to a half dozen others..........and still going strong.

herb

hey guys is a bad thing to use 3000 rpm when sanding? what about more than 3000?

do i have to start with less rpm and increase the speed? what about the polish part do i have to do it with lot of speed or what?

cheers

Hey fellas, it’s the other way around over here. Just finishing the late peaches, picking the last of the tomatoes and digging up the potatoes, while appleas and pears are about to start. Our neighbours have just finished the grape crush and vintage 2012 looks like it’s going to be the best for several years.

I’m about to hotcoat my 3yo daughter’s first board and I’ll take a lot of advice from the last 10 pages to make sure I do it right. You only ever have one first board…

Bumped up for Jeekone…read from the beginning

Some good drama in the middle (page 5) but overall good info you just got to dig it out

Well sanolocal uses 3000 rpm so why shouldn’t you.  Makes sense to me.  You should be fine.

Good thread and I stand by the things I said.   The only difference these days is that I am doing more of my own Glassing and sanding.  Being out of practice as I am I found that I had to start with 120 or 150 on the hotcoat.  After 3 or 4 I am now starting with 150 and going to 180 for a glossed board.  On a sanded/Secret Sauce sanding job I finish at 220 before my wipe down finish.  No swirls or scratches.  The only kicker is I am not doing them at 5000 rpm.