Ancient surfers

that chief was probably KAHA’I( Tafa’i,tahitian and samoan,Tahaki,marquesan and tuamotuan,Tawhaki,maori)

yeah man,I surfed with Woody.He always smiled.With a friend,we took him for what would be his last surf.He was 90!Aloha Woody

just enjoying myself this morning,surf went down too much already,but sure was fun yesterday.Anyway,it’s the other way around,PAPA,female,WAKEA,male

[quote=“$1”]

One thing that’s been interesting to me is something called Mitochondrial DNA… it’s not storytelling, acid dropping poetry, shrooms with phycodelic wanderings, or anything else, it is scientific fact… Since the mapping of the human Genome, there have been lots of studies of the ancestory of lots of people groups… there is a scientist here in Hawaii, Rebecca Kahn, who has mapped the dna of several hawaiin people groups that could follow their families through recorded history very far back… and she has found that the ancestors of Kamehameha the Great didn’t come from Tahiti or the Marquesis islands but from Central America, and she can tell exactly what tribe that they came from with the DNA testing that she’s done…how about that ? We might not be who we think we are after all…maybe the Japanese really were the Menehune of yesteryear, so the “Aina” really does belong to the Japanese!!!, that would make a lot of people mad…

[/quotei would very much like to read this research that you are talking about.this is what I have read,no such thing about Kamehameha and Central America,“Cann’s research also concluded that it is likely that Polynesians first sailed to South America rather than the other way around,as many researchers had previously asserted” and also"Interestingly,this genetic marker that distinguihed the polynesian sub-groups was also found in some Native Americans".http://www.hawaiianencyclopedia.com/chapter-3.asp. DNA research on polynesian origins and migrations

Disagree with you on this Brah.What you wrote actually reminds me of what people were told to think of the old culture by the priests/ministers.With all our wars in the name of religion/culture,western civilization is the same,and let’s not get into decadence.No doubt the people were delivered from human sacrifices and battles and associated hardships,but what else has been gained?loss of land,culture,language,identity,health.All the ancient knowledge lost,only pala(smear) left.And once they got to Hawaii,they did continue exploration,always Eastward.And they certainly were NOT bored into non-existence without battles, as you presume,as the  legacy of Hula,Oli,He’enalu,Lawai’a,Mahi’ai,and for ali’i,Holua,Panapua,He’enalu,etc…proves.He’enalu as a form of contest and betting was for ali’i,but everyone could and did he’enalu,hula, oli.As for RAPANUI,it has been conclusively PROVEN,that the people did not bring on self destruction,and cut down the last palm tree,as has been assumed ever since it was discovered.Instead rats are responsible.Arriving as stowaways in the canoes,they devoured the seeds of the palm trees,effectively wiping them out,same as on O’ahu,the ’ Ewa district,which was once covered with Loulu,till the rats wiped them out.

on a lighter note,the Marquesan legend of KENA,one of the Gods of  Tatau or Tattooing,tells how he spent so much time SURFING that his back got covered with limu or seaweeds,and HIS WIFE LEFT HIM(somethings never change),so he got covered with tatau all over his body,a huge feast was thrown in his honor,he was so handsome,and his wife wanted to get back together with him,BUT HE GAVE HER THE BOOT(yeah Man!)

I disagree.They adapted to what they needed.And adapted tools and implements to local conditions.They showed great ingeniosity(spe?).The culture was far from being static.

No doubt polynesians got to the american continent,and brought back the sweet potato. DNA from  ancient chicken bones in Peru I believe show a match with chickens in Samoa(non western introduced chickens).it was previously thought that chickens were strictly a spanish introduction.In a museum in the Pacific northwest,my dad told me where,but I can’t recall exactly,I think Vancouver Island,are stone poi pounders like the Hawaiian ones from Kaua’i(stirrup shaped)

yes they did surf where they came from,Marquesas,Tahiti,Australs…They lived on and of the ocean…Tahitian,HORUE(surfing),Hawaiian,HORUA/HOLUA(land surfing).

[quote="$1"]

There was an article that went into the language of Hawaii and the Chumash, it seemed the word for wood and canoe were the same, from what I remember

[/quote]

This may it:

http://cla.calpoly.edu/~tljones/klar1b.pdf

groves, comes and vee’s… anyone one research Rabbit Kekai Paipo Beginnings?? well interestings! one of the exclusive hotcurl individuals seems he started that way starting on. theres something ignored in this age of engineering… the past! understanding the roots to viewpoint the lengthy run.

I invest post something soon when I encounter its ready to be seen… might just be wooden created though. haha

Aloha crew,…

I’ve seen some interesting thoughts spread here on the subject jst thought I’d add this:

Several years ago I was involved with a yet unfinished documentary on “surfing before Cook’s arrival”, with Tom Stone, as mentoring historian produced by Dan Herlihey, and Sandy Deeley.

We did filming from the prospective of the native Hawai’ian, with rituals, and traditions passed on and down.

I had the unique distinction of making Rabbit cry—we were doing an iterview with him at Tom’s when I asked him about his grandfather,…when Rabbit’s eyes welled up----“Nobody has ever asked about my grandfather,…”, from that moment Rabbit talked story about all his rememberances of paipo and surfing during his life time, and the oral history passed down from his family-----he and those that are of his era, are the only ones left that can truely try and close the gap of what we may know of the ancients.
Soon they too will be gone from us.

Aloha, Randy

the Grandfather Spirit dwells within all of us.

the molecular memory ,leary called it 

in an attempt to translate the well

of experience in our bone marrow /dna.

the culture we coincidently  own aside,

we are the culmination

of all the experiences we allow ourselves to 

to be effected by,(syn?).

the first time we saw

a magazine cover of…

the first time we sat in a VW…

the first time we saw a renault dauphine,

and then heard the horn…

are indelibly etched in our vicera.

My mom said after I went for a walk

with my grandfather ,perhaps on his 

‘beat’ in golden gate park as the

foreman gardener at big rec,

I came back imitating his walk.

he perhaps was imitating his grandfather’s walk as well

or perhaps the indian fishing guide his folks sent him with

when they were working the store…these means of information transmital

eclipse the written word a hundred times over.if a picture is worth a thousand

words, then a walk in the park ,or surfin’ with your grandfather,is way beyond words.

Tears are charged with DNA.

how many stories

are there in just one tear.

…ambrose…

Tom Stone is da man!any of you seen the movie"The ride",filmed in Hawai’i,about the modern surfer who gets knocked unconscious while surfing and gets rescued By Duke Kahanamoku?I love that movie.

This weekend was the first Doheny Surf Fest and Tom Stone made an appearance, spreading aloha and riding a beautiful Wiliwili alaia.

He and Jackie Baxter came face to face and talked for 5 minutes before they realized who they were talking to and then it became a surfer's reunion.

They agreed it had been at least 40 years since they'd seen each other.  

L-R

Duncan Wilson, Denny Michael, Henry Ford, Tom Stone & Jackie Baxter

Notice the Go Pro mount on the Wiliwili alaia.   

After this event Pohaku and the alaia were headed to New York for another surf expo. 

Looks like Ford hasn’t missed too many meals.

the alaia looks so nice,too bad the gopro!

hope this thread goes on like the Ewa one ,great thought provoking history and ideas,evolution is necessity or otherwise ,no historians or scholars can clearly define the stages of the ancient development of the surfboard as a refined craft oral history was the way of many cultures so lets look at a recent development in the evolution of sailing and board craft the windsurfer .not any of the great waterman that currently live some with great sailing and surfing skill had the vision.We see for the sake of a timeline only that it might be a late 70’s creation by who? collective thought and why for fun ??? and when it hit Maui it took off and 40 years later it has so many incarnations yet for how long sailing and surfing existed the 2 never meshed.But we are able to trace the evolution of these craft and the refinements and now it all makes sense which evolved to tow boards and so on in such a short timeline comparatively speaking.The twin hulled open ocean sailing craft are a magnificent sight to see and had the Hawaiians reached the west coast with such a craft it would have been well documented and more then likely copied by the west coast cultures who were great water  men in their own right.The bow and arrow was used on the west coast[very refined] by many cultures if this contact had taken place the Hawaiians would have incorporated into their culture, bow and arrow did not exist in ancient Hawaii i think could be wrong no examples exist or???The first time i encountered the Hokulea in the west Maui channel on a windsurfer  going so fast,[not to close they were towing fishing line ]around her i realized the greatness of achievement of waterman and the honor it is to be able to have experienced that encounter[evolution of the craft] i have learned and been given so much from the ocean, today i sat in half a foot wave to get inspiration to write i read this thread at 3 in the morning and it is very thought provoking i hope others contribute globally…

[quote="$1"] ''...the windsurfer...for the sake of a timeline only that it might be a late 70's creation by who?...''   [/quote]

My first exposure to windsurfing, was in 1964/65.     The wishbone yoke was developed even before that.    Who?    At one tlme I knew.    Now, long forgotten.

When I was a kid, we’d stand on our father’s tankers (12’ long) and spread out our tee shirts to catch the wind and blow us out on off shore days. Closest I ever got to wind surfing.