Another PlusOne Asymm

I am taking a variety of fins to Ecuador.  Not sure if I have the wherewithall to discern the difference, but will report.

resin head, I meant no offence.  goes to show what speaking in generalities with do.  I have a Loehr “funboard 7-6”  that I have owned for 20 years and I will never let it go.  great board.  several of my kids learned to surf on it.

all the best

Hello George!

How many different A-syms do you make?

Small ones too?

Any 6ft4 machines to get priority over shortboarders, lie next to longboarders and still carve it up good?

Any more pictures would be great! Stories too...

Wouter

Hi Wouter,

I’ve done quite a few now in a broad size range.  There’s some in Hawaii, California, Texas, Florida and even Morocco.

Here is the smallest so far, 3’10" for a kid just over 50 pounds (23kg.)

[img_assist|nid=1069922|title=Smallest Board|desc=3’10" A_Symm|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

In action in San Clemente:

[img_assist|nid=1069924|title=Smallest Board|desc=Asymmetric heel side carve|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=427]

Also doing some Stand Up Paddleboards.  Maurice has done quite a few Tow boards asymmetric for his tow

partner Ross Clarke-Jones, and in the video I saw, they were working in MEGA BIG S. Australian surf.

I made for myself, a 5’8"/5’6", 5’10"/5’8", 6’2"/6’0" and 6’6"/6’4".  I’ve ridden an 8’0" that really surprised

me, and couple weeks ago I “borrowed” my friends 7’0"/6’10".   These are speed blur shots trying to track

motion, my friend went out at minus tide onto the reef and set up his tripod, right where we normally take off!

Here I am on a “borrowed” 7’0"/6’10":

[img_assist|nid=1072623|title=A_Symm4thGen in action|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=426]

When I say “constant speed” I think a better term comes from when I designed and built slope sailplanes,

“energy retention” which feels like you maintain speed well, as with a bottom turn or a cutback, or a 

combination…

[img_assist|nid=1072624|title=A_Symm4thGen in action2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=426]

Another thing I noticed while doing cutbacks is that the board feels like it gains speed through the arc,

so hitting the rebound off the whitewater becomes pronounced.  I like doing cutback/rebound combos

and the board is well-suited for this.  Also, the board seems to go backside quite well for a lot of people,

the rhythm seems well matched somehow.  The speed is for sure higher than conventional boards and

stranger they feel like they paddle a little faster as well.  That extra paddle comes in handy when dealing

with crowds because I can have the paddling advantage and not give up too much maneuverability.

George

Plus One, Have some photos  of the 8'0"? 

Nice shots George.  Reminds me of low tide Malibu. 

And speaking of mid lengths.  I just came across this one, a couple actually, 7-7 silver Bruce Jones, and 8-8 Shrosbee .  Both boards belonged to Miki Dora.  He seemed to do well on mid lengths. I like the outline of the 8-8. 

I guess I’m a child of the 70’s because I like the way mid lengths surf

[<iframe width=“420” height=“315” src=“http://www.youtube.com/embed/WH3myrp6Cyw” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>/]

<iframe width=“420” height=“315” src=“http://www.youtube.com/embed/WH3myrp6Cyw” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“http://www.youtube.com/embed/G_0RuY9t8oI” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>

ps mostly single fins but you get the idea.  I don’t know how to embed.  Happy New Years!

Mr. Tate…Never any offence taken, you know I love you.  And you know I love mid lengths.  I just don’t want anymore people figuring it out mid lengths.  because if they do, then that means less waves for me.

I Like the look of that Shros. Bill shaped a couple of boards for me back when he was working at Sunset.  he bought the Fresh Pineapple from Sid Madden They may have been shapping boards together at the time.  I would be tempted to get Shrosbree to make a "Pineapple Cat"