Any advice before i`m overcome by fumes or die in a fire....catchy eh

Has anyone any advice on building a glassing room, ive set aside an area in the workshop roughly 12 * 10`, the problem is i have no way of ventilating this room. Can anyone tell me just how flammable poly resin can be and are the fumes themselves highly flammable. I realize a good resipator will sort out breathing difficultys its mainly the fire hazzard im worried about.

As always any advice greatly appreciated… Swaylockers Rule

use epoxy.

no solvents, no fumes.

Yeah this has ocurred to me but costs + shipping to frightning to think about

Yeah, Keep it away from an open flame.

What about lighting or electric sockets are these a problem?

Howzit tommo, The fumes are extremely flamable and a spark will ignite the acetone fumes. You need to vetilate the room some hows. You must have some kind of entry way but you need an exit way so the fumes can escape. I use the trade winds, and I have a box fan in a cut out in the back door. Wind enters through the front and is blown out the back. The bottom of the fanshoud be about 24" off the ground since the fumes are heavy and stay close to the floor.Aloha,Kokua

You need cross-ventilation of some kind. Resin fumes are heavier than the air, so they stay close to the floor. It’s easier to plan on venting low rather than using a ceiling vent, because you’ll need a big air-mover to pull up from the floor. In either case, you want the intake area to be at least 2x the size of the exhaust. Don’t even think of having a clothes dryer, water heater, etc. near this area unless you have it completely open (like a garage door) and cross-vented.

no smoking and air flow lots of air flow.

and the best mask money can buy. dont leave things out uncovered and get a lockable cabinet for all the toxic chemmys,so no grommets get the stuff in there eyes. electrical outlets?..we have them in the shop and so far no boom.

hey tommo this is no joke i was feelin very comfortable in my new finish coat room into my 15th straight

finish ( when the whole room exploded into flames blew me straight through the door)

lucky to get out of there burnt all hair few bruises now i will only do 1 finish and go do somthing else

never used acetone since wash all brushes hot water & soap powder ‘’


Consider full-face respirator. Added safety for areas with minimal ventilation.

Thanks for advice, will defo take note… Will find some way to cross vent…

Howzit huie, Did you ever figure out what ignited the explosion.Aloha,Kokua

hey kokua

i posted that little story just to let thomo know what can happen ;

yes i know what caused the bomb. it was abit cool that morning and i had alot of boards to do

so to warm the room up i turned on alittle heater i had used it many times before but this time i forgot it was on

i was finishing two bottoms at a time cleaning the brushes in 3 separate acetone bins lots of acetone lots of fumes

the heater was about 6ft from floor on back wall the whole room was one big fireball’’

to day the formulla is warm day temperture rising do finish walk outside sqeeze resin from brush

wash whith hot water and soap powder dry brush in sun dry before board is ready to turn

same whith laminating just wipe sqeege and wash the same way

whith epoxy wash in vinegar then hot water and soap powder

not production i know but ican do 4 boards aday and have pleenty time to myself

ps if you try the soap powder trick rub about 1 teaspon into brush as soon as you sqeeze resin out and straight into hot water

work it in well then rinse it all till clear allthe small boardmakers should try this (no more acetone) (save mony) (may save your life)


I do not keep any open containers with acetone or resin in the glassing area. Brushes in-use are stored in jars with lids for the day only. Paper towels soaked with resin or acetone are kept in a metal covered trashcan which is dumped at the end of the day. Dirty acetone, excess resin is dumped into a 5 gal. bucket half-filled with kitty litter which is kept outside and changed weekly. The floor around my glassing racks is covered with cheap roofing material from Home Depot. I replace this about once a month. Don’t leave cups/buckets of catalyzed resin or epoxy to sit around and start smoking; dump them when you’re done. All electrical tools are unplugged and the end of the day also. Get some good smoke detectors installed and a couple of extinguishers. Clean work areas add to fire safety. I’ve seen firsthand what happens when a fire gets going in a glassing area, and you absolutely cannot be too careful. Obviously no pipes, cigars, cigs, reefer, etc either.


and the best mask money can buy.

Hehehehe…he ain’t foolin’ either…this things got forced air, special neck gasket, tinted eye protection, the works!

And huie, glad you are still with us! That is not good, but is a good reminder to us all.