any APS3000 in use in southern calif?

Anyone know of one in the socal area? i would like to see it in action and try one of my designs out.

a machine will be coming to ventura shortly i believe

Northwind Glassing in San Diego has one in operation.

Ken

Hey bro,

I was looking into them, I know that there is one in the Huntington area that JC Surfboards uses and one in the South bay that Spider Surfboards uses. They are great machines, I have seen 2 others machines and if I was going to pluck down 85 thousand, it would be on the 3000 they are a just awesome to see shape, plus the computer part is really fast to learn. You have have to call to see if they allow you to use the machine to cut your board.

Surrfdaddy

Quote:

Hey bro,

I was looking into them, I know that there is one in the Huntington area that JC Surfboards uses and one in the South bay that Spider Surfboards uses. They are great machines, I have seen 2 others machines and if I was going to pluck down 85 thousand, it would be on the 3000 they are a just awesome to see shape, plus the computer part is really fast to learn. You have have to call to see if they allow you to use the machine to cut your board.

Surrfdaddy

daddy, you are misinfromed. the machine that spider, jc use is the 3DM. hobie has returned their 3DM. has some major issues. surfacing isn’t very good, what you design on screen isn’t exactly what is cut. believe me, save your money.

hoping to see how the APS machine will run. I think the surfacing will be much better. not sure about the hardware over time.

Hey there Bro,

You are so right, I am sorry, I contacted John Yow about the machine when I was looking into getting one. The 3000 is from down under and I just confused it with the 3DM machines. I am at lost also as who would have a 3000. If you find one. Let me know, I would like to check it out also.

Surrfdaddy

My brother has the latest one up and running here in San Clemente. He has had great results with his initial projects. Sure there are a couple speed bumps. But, the software is very intuitive and machine puts out a very nice finished product. I’d say Miki and Jimmy did a great job.

Tomataum,

How did your brother like the set-up? Did they have help in setting up the machine from the company? What is your brother charging for a board?

Surrfdaddy

Last time I spoke to him he was very happy with the finished shapes he was getting. Jimmy and Miki were here for a week setting up the machine and getting Jerry up to speed. I already deal with a different type of CNC. So, I’m helping my brother with the transition from one level to the next. He’s only doing his own shapes and a few local shapers are in line. But, I haven’t asked about a per shape price scale yet.

Tomataum,

What machine are you using? How long have you been using it and are you happy with the company?

surrfdaddy

APS3000 and yes I believe my brother is very happy.

Yep, what was said above is what’s going on.

There is one in San Diego, NorthWind Glassing. That machine is running very well. Miki and I were just there and Miki was very happy with it.

The one in San Clemente is Tom’s bro and that’s the one we just installed.

Northwind sounds like they have a little more open time right now to do other boards. I believe they have a website with contact info. Tom’s bro, Jerry, has a lot of production and I’m not sure he was looking to farm out too much work on that machine. Tom’s the one to ask here as he might know more details.

Let me know if there are more questions.

Jimmy

The glass company i use ordered an aps300 over the winter they said its going to be here feb or march im really excited to see it work. ivr tryed to download the software but was unable to get it to run on my computer i even installed the java program and still no dice any info?

yea wardo, chances you don’t have Java installed on your machine. If you’re using Windows then you have to download the Java JRE from Sun’s site. Microsoft and Sun aren’t super good friends so Windows doesn’t support it as well as we’d like.

There’s a link from our site to Sun’s site right before you’re able to download our software that lets you download Java Web Start. Let me know if you’re getting specific error messages and I should be able to help. Otherwise there might be some buried documentation on our site for some common problems.

The guys that are getting that machine over there in NC are on it. We’re looking forward to them getting their machine.

Jimmy

Quote:
daddy, you are misinfromed. the machine that spider, jc use is the 3DM. hobie has returned their 3DM. has some major issues. surfacing isn't very good, what you design on screen isn't exactly what is cut. believe me, save your money.

hoping to see how the APS machine will run. I think the surfacing will be much better. not sure about the hardware over time.

Well, BigBrother, I’m affraid you too are misinformed. Hobie’s machine was not sold due to surfacing issues. It was an issue of no one at the shop to run the machine. Mark Johnson, who was the man for this, is now working in Hobie’s clothing line. In his absence, nobody at the shop wants to learn how to deal with the machine.

You should also realize something else here. That machine is an old, retro fitted machine & not representative of 3DM’s machines today. Additonally, it was never Hobie’s machine. It was there on a “lease” sort of arrangement with John. Since there was no one interested in learning to run the machine, John sold it & got it outta there.

If anyone is wondering about quality of the 3DM product & design software, they should contact one of their customers. In addition to the aforementioned, the most recent in the area being Barry Vandermuellen in Huntington Beach.

Lance

Whoops, forgot to mention something.

While admittedly the Hobie machine was out of alignment, no one at Hobie cared to take the time to help John make it right. As far as I know, the machine is working fine for the new owner.

Lance

Quote:

Whoops, forgot to mention something.

While admittedly the Hobie machine was out of alignment, no one at Hobie cared to take the time to help John make it right. As far as I know, the machine is working fine for the new owner.

Lance

Well, isn’t alignment considered part of the entire surfacing if not the most critical? What’s the use of using a machine, especially if it’s not accurate and precise in repeatability?

Quote:
Well, isn't alignment considered part of the entire surfacing if not the most critical? What's the use of using a machine, especially if it's not accurate and precise in repeatability?

Yep, probably the most critical. A mere .010" [approx. the thickness of a razor blade] out of alignment at one end can translate into an 1/8" or more out at the other end of a 10’ longboard.

ALL machines need to be periodically checked for alignment. If someone says that theirs doesn’t, well…they are salesmen after all. Running cutters into support brackets, slamming the gantry into the limit switches and other mishaps will give cause for a complete re-check of the unit. Your post alludes to the fallacy that the 3DM machine is the culprit and is not a good machine. This is really what Im taking issue with. The problem with the Hobie machine was due to problems that were not inherent flaws in the machine. The biggest problem was their resistance to actually take the time to get it working right. Again, the machine is working fine for it’s new owner.

To be really fair, you need to compare the current 3DM machine to the others out there. As with any prototype[Hobie], refinement is the name of the game. Obviously, I’m a bit biased but I’d put a board off a 3DM up against any others out there. Given the same parameters, I know the finish, time to cut & quality would be as good or better.

Btw, how did you come about the statement that “what you design on screen isn’t exactly what is cut”?

Lance