Apprentice Shaper

Hello all, I’m looking into starting to shape boards. I have the perfects workspace, and have about $500 i’ve saved up to work with. I have been reading articles all over the net, but perhaps you all could recommend a perfect place/resources to start with. I’ve wanted to do this for about 3 years now and I’m stoked I’m finally going for it… but anyway, any advice would be great. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any responses… Jon in Woodland, CA.

Also, I would really love some tips on getting materials, preferably mail order. What is the best place to get blanks/foam from? resin and glassing materials? what kinda pricing ranges should I keep my eyes open for? thanks again! -Jon-

1. Never start before you got all the materials in hand. This is to make sure everything you can buy in your district. My experience is I cant get good epoxy resin in Hong Kong. If go online, the transportation cost added much. Besides, resins are dangerous items and airfrieght not entertained. 2) Ask someone about the compatibility of the materials. 3) Know someone who have experience in using these materials. You can easily call that guy upon any questions. 4) Be tough and dont afraid of failure. If you got the right tools and right materials, your failure probably must be the technique you have been doing wrong. 5) got few blank core if possible. My friends was quitted, which left some foam blank block to me. I shape a few before glassing. If you got only one, you will give up diy project easily. If you got few in hand, you may try different approach. > Hello all,>>> I’m looking into starting to shape boards. I have the perfects workspace, > and have about $500 i’ve saved up to work with. I have been reading > articles all over the net, but perhaps you all could recommend a perfect > place/resources to start with. I’ve wanted to do this for about 3 years > now and I’m stoked I’m finally going for it… but anyway, any advice > would be great. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any responses…>>> Jon in Woodland, CA.

The closest surfboard material shops are in Santa Cruz.(I use to live in Auburn) For mail order look at the resources section of this web site.>>> Also, I would really love some tips on getting materials, preferably mail > order. What is the best place to get blanks/foam from? resin and glassing > materials? what kinda pricing ranges should I keep my eyes open for? > thanks again!>>> -Jon- http://www.viser.net/~anthwind/

Hello all,>>> I’m looking into starting to shape boards. I have the perfects workspace, > and have about $500 i’ve saved up to work with. I have been reading > articles all over the net, but perhaps you all could recommend a perfect > place/resources to start with. I’ve wanted to do this for about 3 years > now and I’m stoked I’m finally going for it… but anyway, any advice > would be great. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any responses…>>> Jon in Woodland, CA. Jon, just find a local shaper and tell them that your interested in shaping boards, also about what materials you need. ask them if they dont mind you watching them too. worked for me. good luck man. Josh