Australia Trip

If you are going to "the land Down Under"  I am in awe and totally envious.  My Sis, my daughter and her hubbie just went down to Cairns(sp) and the Great Barrier Reef from the Land of the Long white Cloud.  Yeah I'm friggin' envioius. 

Personally I think Merimbula is a good place to stay.  There is a great van park and affordable cabins right on the point and there are a lot of waves nearby.  Not to mention fresh oysters. You could even get the fabled Pambula Point!

As stated above, Mallacoota is a good spot and fairly consistent surf-wise and Cape Conran is a nice stop, but a bit off the road and really iffy in terms of surf (I’ve had waves there once in years of trying).  Just before Lakes Entrance is Lake Tyers Beach which has good campgrounds/cabins and access to waves not least of which is Red Bluff.  It’s about a 5-7 hour haul to Melbourne from there, but if you have time head up to Buchan Caves for some guided spelunking. I think that the bridge is still out at Wilsons Prom, but I may be wrong.

Surfwise I reckon the highlight between Sydney and Melbourne is the Ulladulla area which is a few hours south of Sydney. So many options and quality set ups for nearly all wind and swell directions. This area is one of the premier stretches of surf coast in the country I think - certainly one of the highlights on the east coast.

Why rush. I'd get out of Sydney and drive for 3-4 hours with a detour at Kiama. Jervis Bay area has waves but rarely in JB itself. I'd stay a few days on the coast near Milton which has tea houses and places to eat and wife friendly options. Narooma area sounds ok. Next stop after there would be either Phillip Island or Mornington pensinula. Wineries and stuff you can research.

Get a good surf guide. Many spots require some exploring /knowledge of  conditions that suit. There are two web-sites that make it easier. Swellnet and coastalwatch. If you go to Melbourne drive to Torquay area and 12 - apostles, both are worth going to. You may even get some waves. Lorne is a spot my wife likes when I disappear looking for waves.

Bob

So the plan is to stay in Sydney a few days, drive the coast down to Melbourne for a few days, then stay in Melbourne a few days with a trip out to Bells.

How much rubber will I need in February for southern NSW down to Bells Beach? 3/2? 4/3? Boots?

I'd say a 4'3 to be safe but it depends on where you are from. I don't know how reliable this is but have a look at: http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Bells-Beach/seatemp

Bob 

Where I live the water temp can dip down to a balmy 38 F (3 C) in the dead of winter but 40 - 42 F (4 - 5 C) is more typically.

At 40 - 42 F I’m usually in a 5/4 unless the air is really cold and I go to the 6/4.

I think a general rule for me is:

Above 60 = 3/2

50 - 60 = 4/3

40 - 50 = 5/4

Below 40 = 6/4

But it also depends on air temps.

Thanks, looks like in Feb it should definitely be above 60F

The Bells Beach area is where I mostly surf. In mid-winter, you can expect the water temperature to drop as low as 11C. This year, it only got to 12C, and is currently around 14.5C. In summer, especially Feb, you can expect the water temperature to generally be around 19C-20C, sometimes as warm as 21C. Air temperature will likely be high 20s to low 30s, although it’s not uncommon to get days above 40C. A 3/2 will be fine, and most likely too hot, particularly on a warm day. I usually wear a 2mm spring suit (short arms/legs) during summer, and boardshorts on days above 30C.

The only caveat for Bells in summer is that you have to get a bit lucky with swell (it will likely be small). However, if it is small, just head east of Torquay to 13th Beach (head to the big carpark with the most cars!), which usually picks up more swell.

Cheers
Paul

I would hate queensland more in state of origin time, they dont even think they are Australian, I saw the 1st game, was out to sea for the 2nd then watched the 3rd in the Phils, with a bar full of queenslanders,

sounds like words of a NSW supporter to me…6 in a row, no wonder Blues supporters are angry towards Qlders…yes, we are Australian and very proud of it, but also very proud to be a Qlder beating NSW against the odds 6 series in a row…

Mate, that was a while ago, your'e like me, have to type it out, I just had to translate a mail from a French chick, took me ages, yea state of origin, gotta love it when your winning and you know what when your not. Lucky for me Manly has been my team since I knew abt footy, for our foriegn friends, the mighty Manly Sea Eagles have just won the rugby league premiership last Sunday and I was down in Sydney for the Dee Why surfing fraternity 50th reunion on the Saturday night, so a huge weekend.. I don't want to think abt state of origin, the 5 best halfbacks are from bloody queensland and noone has ever won without a good one, cheers H, go Manly.

Need some help from you Aussie guys again.  Should we stay in Narooma or Merimbula area?  Where am I more likely to get decent surf in Feb?

never been to narooma but Merimbula (Pambula Beach) is great. Surfs never that great in an Australian summer. If your lucky you may score a peeling left at merimbula bar can get some long rides their. 

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia/NSW/Far_South/merimbula_bar/ Heres some info on the local surf spots

I haven't been to either (but knw the coast a bit north reasonably well), but some things to consider:

- Narooma is only 115 kms from Merimbula and 133 from Ulladulla - thats a lot of good spots to choose from

- coastalwatch.com has a cam for Narooma so you can see for yourself (allowing for time differences)

- Merimbula & nearby Pambula can reportedly be classic but somewhat rare

- both towns have web-pages so you can check out what they look like/offer if you have to factor in non-surfing activities.

Bob

Another question for you Aussie guys,

Mid-February

Sydney to Melbourne coastal drive over several days stopping to surf wherever it looks good.

What short boards do I want to bring? (I can’t travel with a longboard)

Here are my options:

Ubber groveler longboard replacement; Mini-sims, Plank type board

Not so classic modern Fish, Round Nosed Fish type

Groveler type small wave board White Diamond, Dumpster Diver type

Fishy shortboard; little wider, little fuller, little lower rocker than a standard shortboard

HP shortboard, for good waves

What type of surf am I looking at along that drive this time of year?

Mid Feb is our summer, so expect north winds and southerly changes, offshore days arent as regular during this time period, and the swell is not as large as in winter. Find some nice corners out of the wind and you should score. Any board will usually work, but id go for something in the 7ft range and then maybe a 6ft disc or something with some volume. I dont ride performance boards but i see alot of guys still catching waves on them and having a good time, so theirs alot of options for you. 

If you can try surf the fairy bower at manly do it, in my opinoin its the best wave in syd… Scored perfect rights their today in the south wind whilst everywhere else was blown out. 

Zac

Keep it fairly short. Mostly you’ll be dealing with 1-2 foot mush blown in by the prevailing north easterly, so seek out the “back beaches”, with a cozy corner up the northern end.

But every so often a southerly change will blow up from the Tasman Sea. When that happens, find yourself a beach with a nice rocky point on its southern end and (needless to say) head out early while it’s still blowing SW. 

Finally, Feb is the start of the cyclone season on the east and west coasts. It won’t be a cyclone by the time it reaches the southern NSW coast, but it will still be pushing in lots of NE-E swell and there are plenty of bombies and reefs south of Sydney that will hold some serious size. Maybe pack something a little longer (6-7’) just in case you should score one of those sub-tropical lows.

I’m not going to name any spots, cos it’s against my religion, but if you’re camping, keep your eyes peeled to the left about 20km south of a town that’s been mentioned before in this thread (starts with a “U”), you’ll find one of the most amazing national park setups on the coast (starts with an “M”).

These are the boards I have to choose from

5’6"

function

function

5’7"

sd

sd

5’6"

variant

5’10"

rtq

rtq

6’1"

coil

6’5"

coil

I don’t own anything over 6’5"

What would you bring?

Would that spot also be known as T-----l Beach?