Backyard Shenanigans

As always, you make great boards.
Does the full mask ever get foggy? I wouldn’t mind using one for sanding boards or even cutting wood with my power saws. Bernie uses a full mask with air pumped in from a compressor. I don’t want to go that far.

Worthy kudos Bud.
Now that is some bitchen work!

Thanks hope you been well! I only recently started to use that full face mask, and only when doing a lam (poly), maybe 15 minutes at a time it hasn’t shown any sign of fogging. Drives me crazy when I try scratchin a face itch though. Otherwise I use the half face one

Test

Thanks. I’m thinking about the full face type for sanding to keep dust out of my eyes. Safety glasses don’t always do the job for dust. My brother has the forced air type, but I’m not sure if I want to go that far.

Another pic blast ! So the first board in this thread turned out to be a magic one for my brother and this is my second attempt to replicate it.

Even took 1" rocker measurements this time haha. 

Damn! Dropped the finished blank dented the rail almost beyond fixable … dumb mistake arrrg time wasted. Managed to recover and move on. Decided to go with orange rails, done with pigmented resin and a small roller

someone asked about my drip tray so here’s a sidebar in pics … I keep using it until it gets really heavy, then I break the hardened resin off into chunks over the garbage bin and use it some more. Then when it’s gets too nasty I change the liner. The skeleton is designed to fit the Home Depot Husky Heavy duty Contractor’s garbage bags. Cut a sliver off the the two long sides and it opens to cover about 7 feet.

Excellent work. Thanks for posting. And I always wear flip flops too when laminating. 

Couldn’t see the rail dent in the pics, but too big for a heat gun to get out? 

Awesome work, as usual. Bummer there was no surf last month when I was visiting (or at least w/o the 25 mph trades).

Really nice!

Is the bottom a single concave out through the tail?  Can you tell the difference between that and a double to vee? 

Highest caliber of shape and finish as usual bud.  That foam stain on the first one is one of the nicest I have ever seen.  That is a good layout on the drip tray.  The black cat is a classic.  Got a blackie myself.  She curls up next to me every nite.  Rescued from a farm at four weeks.  Vinyl fences and palm trees remind me of Maui Meadows.  Lowel

Some pics and build specs from a recent backyard handshape PUPE, 5’4 x 18-1/2 x 2-1/4, finished weight without fins 5lbs 1oz

US Blanks (Orange) 6.0P with custom tail rocker

Catalyzed UV Lam resin

Deck (multi color pigment lam) single 4oz S Glass cutlap; 2nd layer 2/3’s length (clear) 4oz E Glass zip lapped

Bottom (resin pigment yellow foam stain), single clear 4oz E Glass free lapped. Acrylic pinlines. Digital logo prints from BoardLams. 9° FCSII Plugs (post lam)

Dang, Bud.  I drop in here for the first time in ages and out of the gate I see this post.  That is wicked looking.  Epic.  Personal, or for a customer?

How did you place the fins?  Very interested to hear a ride report.

A - inspirational as always, from  A - Z 

B - Would you care to share what you’re doing with rail profiles, foils and bottom contours?   Questions about these design elements come up a lot here and your work is so clean that it provides the perfect illustration for what does what on a board. 

C - Could you also pop in an explanation for where in your design process your blank choice comes in, and how you go about fitting your blank in with your design?   A lot of new builders are simply picking their blanks by length and without further consideration for how their blank affects their results.    

D - I know you’re holding a lot more board pron that you haven’t shown us.  A high-level builder like you isn’t sitting idle for long periods of time.   

Bitchen. 

No he’s not idle.  He’s surfing his ass off on those righteous shapes.  Bud and Charlie blow my mind.