Balsa Rails...Comments/ Ideas

so meecrafty, are you just doing balsa deck and bottom with foam rails ?

cross between j bay and back door ?..

if its beachy looking maybe ,rabbits , but it wouldnt be 10 secs …

grunters gets hollow and can suck some sand up to and hold that size …

plain old yallingup mains straight in front of his house can get rather round at that size , looks more like a moving mountain from the side …

p break , but thats a short barrel…

maybe supertubes , but that place is mutant …

could have been up north , longer walls could expect 10 second barrels up there , dont know any rights that long up there tho …

now i think about it there are a few spots off the beaten track , maybe those ones should stay that way …

id have to see the movie then i would know for sure …

could be anyone of 20 or 30 spots in west oz

der , it could have been northpoint , did it have a bendy bit at the end where it kinda mutates a little before it lets you out …

that was probably it …

its a long righthand barrel , that you fall into like backdoor ,easily gets that big and bigger , with barrels big enough for buses and lines up like j bay would , but not the same length as j bay …

if your description is good , i would have to say northpoint …

the place scares me , had to many pastings out there , that bit on the end takes negotiation .

youve got to turn while your in the barrel to get out , but on your backhand and locked in it takes a little more effort to get around the corner , it goes a bit out of shape as you approach the bend so if your not tucked nice and high you can get axed , but if you go to high it will pitch you on the bend , then you and the lip become one …

if you saw something like that its probably the spot …

gonna miss the juice …

our east coast is on par with cali from what i experienced of the power over there …

most crew who come west compare it to hawaii …

regards

BERT

northpoint’s the spot…wasnt anywhere near the tip of my tongue but you sparked my weakened memory bank…

what an epic wave…its was Taj and Wardo in the vid…looked like a shorter version of jbay on steriods…the wind must have been 20knots plus offshore…the drop looks almost unmakable…then just a fast medium short BT into the pocket…full on mach speed barrel that broke like a machine…absolutely no flaw in the curl…like original endless summer capestfrancis…never seen anything like it…at least a righthander…seems like for every one worldclass righthander in the world there are 5 worldclass lefthanders so that one really stuck out…NORTHPOINT…all i can say is WOW! you blokes sure are lucky…planning a trip to southern pac in two years with the fam with an emphasis on NZ but if im gonna trek that far might as well puddle jump to AU for a week or two…

yeah, going thicker balsa top…no rail or bottom wood…im revamping all my stuff/design to really target the goal…i figured it would take a few tries…second try was killer as a result of some wonderfull mistakes…next one’s gonna beat’m all…hopefully in time for some hurrican surf…still waiting

then you and the lip become one …

LOL!!!

I sure am curious about what you’re up to there, Mr. Crafty. i.e., “the wonderful mistake”, etc. Ive been wanting to try the balsa thing, and i was thinkin of just doin a deck for a first attempt…

Got pix of that mistake/magic board??? ;]

Havard,

The animal glue being water solutable explains a thing or two. I was wondering why the traditional

Sami bows were wrapped in birch bark…

Yeah - clever solution :slight_smile:

Re: center springer versus rail springer, I think the problem with the rail is the tuning. Since

this is an outer part of the board there are limitations to what you can do to them without

changing other aspects of the board. If you’d like a softer flex, but the same rail thickness, what

do you do? The internal springer is more easily tunable and does not effect the shape of the board

in any way. Althoug the stringer would only press against the foam, the foam would press against the

skins so I think it would load up pretty quickly. You could also make supports of high density foam

or woodat the tips for a more direct response. Just make sure it’s not glued to well together or it

might be rigid, eliminating shear.

Adjust the width of the wooden rail :slight_smile: Variable width means we wouldn’t necessarily have to compromise on thickness and shape. But yes, I can see some clear limitations. I am leaning towards a combination of pretensioned wooden rails and subsurface slats… Probably with a full length “tillered” “internal springer” (BTW, I like that name, communicates what it does nicely). And yes - I reckon you are right about the way you could use other supporting structures. Personally I will probably start out simple and not introduce additional complexity until I find it necessary. Wood can do an aweful lot on it’s own - it has properties (or, at least, combinations of properties) not found in any other materials.

Shear is interesting. Too many layers and too much glue could eliminate shear… But due care can be used to induce shear INSIDE the board.

Since I cannot get 8’ of balsa in one piece I would have to laminate the wood in one way or another

to make up an 8’ stringer/springer. Furthermore, I would think that I’d need a layer of glass on each

side(ecpecially on the tension side) of the laminated stringer for reinforcement or balsa would break

way to easily. This layer of glass with epoxy could be used to install the stringer also.

OK, with you now. What I normally do is simply splice the peices togethor. The compression side will not need any reinforcement whatsoever (from a mechanical perspective, anyway). The tension side will definately need some! At least over the joins. A single layer of fiberglass cloth and resin (epoxy IMHO) should be fine. You shouldn’t need to laminate multiple thin layers - in fact that’ll likely remove some of what you hope to gain using wood.

Regarding foil/taper. I’m not even really sure where I want the board to flex the most, but I’m

leaning towards a nice curve with apex at the center of the stance (or with a slight setback). I’ve

been pretty much set on a FU center fin box, but I think it will screw up the flex in the back of the

board. Secondly, you would have to take into account the thickness of the board and how the pressure

from the water is distributed on the bottom of the board when doing the taper of the springer. The

stiffness of the board is also related to the cubic of the thickness. However, by creating a deck

concave some of this thickness is removed making the initial board more flexible. Also, the fins

regardless of which fins system you use(or glass ons) is going to stiffen up parts of the tail. All

this needs to be considered when designing the stringer taper. Or drop taper and prestress/bend the wood

instead is possibly an option.

Hey, you are miles ahead of me :slight_smile: This is my first board and I am not really certain at all! So far I have been planning fairly even flex the whole length… With maybe a bit more in the middle of the board (8’6" longboard). Lots of good points to consider… And, as you have guessed, I am leaning towards pretensioning.

All these variables…

Oh yeah! IF this is how Bert has dealt with flex (big IF), or part of it, he is miles ahead of us in where and how he puts flex in.

-doug

if ya wanna see some good footage of northpoint

try TRACKS BastardChild

that wave looks dangerous (long hold downs ) i heard

its got some of OURS as well

that well worth getting hold of

one of my favs

Paul,

Nice to know there are people on here only a few steps ahead of me that are getting good results!

I thought that a board which (a) bent and (b) sprang back to shape gave a more responsive ride? Wouldn’t that hold true for anyone from intermediate skill up?

Got to agree on your comments about how everything is going to be interrelated - got to expect it.

-doug

the mistakes were that i didnt get a solid bond between the deck and core so i got more flex out of it and the rocker changed while i built it too…chest to headhigh the board just lights up…the rocker just suited the wave face and my style perfectly…i felt the board flex which is something im not used to…i’ve had to major repair the thing twice and tweaked it some more here and there…

some pics here

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=224605#224605

Looks sweet!

-doug