Best Cloth

Hi there!

I gonna make a board and not sure which cloth use.

E cloth vs Volan vs S cloth

I would like to get super strong and light board, will be a 6,6 single fin

Cheers

Just found another cloth

4OZ QUAD AXIAL CLOTH

Anybody have somenthing to share??

Cheers

https://youtu.be/CjJzAZHYO8o
Epoxy resin 4oz s /2oz inegra /4oz s

“E” is garbage “Electrical” cloth made for cicuit boards. Figures the cheap surfboard guys would gravitate to it.

Volan is no stronger than Sylene. just greener in color. Requires cut laps.

“S” is the shit. The twist in the weave makes it so strong.

Get a lightweight blank, glass with 4 or 6oz. “S” Glass.

Will last forever.

You can free lap it too.

Volan is not techincally a cloth, its a chemical finish applied to cloth so the resin can chemically bond to the cloth.  Usually heavier cloths have a Volan finish.  The Volan finish is older than the Silane finish that comes on all other cloth.  S glass has a higher silica content than E glass and thats why its stronger. Both S glass and E glass have a Silane finish.

S glass is stronger than E glass, and E is stronger than whatever is sold as ‘‘Volan’’ cloth. 

1 Like

Guys thanks a lot for your answers :wink:  

I will go for S glass   Which will be the best option,  4+4 top and 6 bottom  or 4+6 top and 6 bottom??

Someone had experience with Varial Foam??

Cheers

That stretch bamboo cloth is no longer made sadly. Is there anything else like it so easy to work with without glass shards?

E is for ‘Electrical’. Learn something every day.

It’s used 95% of the time in the land down under (the factories I have been in any way)

‘S’, I knew it was better…,… thats good hey. doing the switch I reckon.

Cheers Barry

[Quote=ahausheer]Volan is not techincally a cloth, its a chemical finish applied to cloth so the resin can chemically bond to the cloth.  Usually heavier cloths have a Volan finish.
[/quote]

Correct. Although, it’s a common myth that volan is heavy. It comes in most standard weights and is typically used in boat work and other generic applications.

Scroll down on this page to “boat and tooling fabrics”. Fiberglass Supply offers it in 4, 6, 8, and 10 oz.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Reinforcements/Fiberglass_Fabrics/fiberglass_fabrics.html