Big gun suggestions

In light of my recent misfortune at Moss Landing on 12/31, I’m in the process of developing a new strategy to re-attempt my favorite spot next winter, on a similarly large day, hopefully with more success and less pain/embarrassment.

Aside from changes to my diet,exercise, practice, and hopefully some professional instruction to give me a boost, I thought an appropriate board may be a plus.

Perhaps a gun in the 9’ range or so? Or should I go longer? Is the primary benefit of longer guns the ability to paddle them out, or the stability? I always wondered that.

I’m gonna be in SouthernCal this week, Ontario and LA areas, can anybody recommend a source for an EPS gun blank … I’d prefer to go with the lighter EPS foam and thicker laminate rather than heavy foam and simple 2 and 1 glassing. I’ve just had better luck with it.

I’m open to suggestions … and ‘give up and go home you’ll never be any good’ doesn’t count! HAHA

Billy

Quote:

Is the primary benefit of longer guns the ability to paddle them out, or the stability?

No, to paddle them IN.

Its all relative…but they share a few atributes…narrow nose and tail…massive rocker…

I had an 8’6" gun that was trifin with 3 inches rear rocker and 6-6.5 inches nose…and a 9’10" with 3.5 inches rear rocker and 7 inches nose…both did well…the first for OB SF, the second for some other big wave in the Bay Area…the rocker is very important…hth…I’d prolly use an 8 ft board at Moss, but ymmv

I see, you need the length to have enough momentum to paddle and catch that fast breaking wave … makes sense.

So what about rails … more 50/50ish on one of these? I’ve never really looked at one that close … I know they’re kind of pointy nosed with a pin tail or close to a pin tail, and seems like the widest spot is usually set back from center?

So those guns that are over 11’ … what the heck kind of wave do you surf with that? Seems like a lot of board to try and manage … the pointy template must help it turn otherwise you’d need to hire help to bring that thing around …

Quote:
So what about rails ... more 50/50ish on one of these? I've never really looked at one that close ... I know they're kind of pointy nosed with a pin tail or close to a pin tail, and seems like the widest spot is usually set back from center?

So those guns that are over 11’ … what the heck kind of wave do you surf with that? Seems like a lot of board to try and manage … the pointy template must help it turn otherwise you’d need to hire help to bring that thing around …

Wide spot centered, some prefer it slightly forward.

The rocker is key for the dropin, keep your weight stably where it needs to be.

Down rails in the back. Some prefer them down much further up, some like fading to 50/50 by the midpoint.

Longer boards turn surprisingly easily when they are going 25 MPH…hth

There is some variability in guns in lots of other parameters…some concave some vee in tail some reverse vee some 3 fin some one fin some quads…

But all are heavily rockered with down rails in the rear, all have WP fairly close to center or slightly forward, all narrow at both ends.

i ve surfed moss for 35 yrs. my big days are over, but i have memories. lol!!! any way what is key for moss or other big wave beach breaks is #2 things… like the other guys said rocker, and lots of it, … another thing is thickness… i see so many guys that are under gunned cuz they just dont have enough float to catch the waves… so for the average sized guy, { 6 foot 160 to 180 lbs. } here are some dimensions for a gun to surf 6 to 10 foot moss…8 ft 6 inches, nothin over 9 foot, cuz you will just pearl that extra length… 19 to 20 inches in the middle… narrow nose and tail… round tail… lots of rocker… blocky rails that are hard in the tail 50/50 in front… lots of v in the tail and some belly through out… theres lots of juice on those waves so you really dont need a super flat or concave bottom board… what you want is control… the main thing you need is a board that takes off easy… dont worry bout gettin out as there is a big ass rip next to the jetty that will plant you in the line up…ok as for gettin along with the locals here goes… #! come by your self… #2 dont park right in the middle of the locals parking area… #3 by all means keep your cell phone in your glove box, do not get caught calling your buddies… #4 dont shoulder hop anyone… pretty much the rules for all spots… good luck

Quote:

the pointy template must help it turn otherwise you’d need to hire help to bring that thing around …

The pointy template allows the board to hug the wave face without sliding out. Pintails don’t turn nearly as easily as boards with wider (and faster) tails, but when the wave is pitching you are generally happy to give up quick turns for the ability to stick to the face. Regardless of size, if the wave is hollow and fast narrow tails are in order. If it’s mushy and slow, wider is better.

That’s why fish don’t work so well when the waves get big and serious. Too much tail keeps them from hugging the face in critical sections. They slide out and you get pitched over the falls.

Length and thickness allow you to paddle into big fast waves. Once you’re in you don’t need the length, but as blakestah says - guns don’t feel that long when you’re going 25mph.

I like the Rusty Desert Island gun concept. Since I rarely ride the big stuff any more, I built my big wave board to more versital. I ride big south shore and even Sunset beach a double overhead. Perhaps something like 9’ x 22.5" x 3.25" can get you into all sorts of larger waves. I designed my board to support my 275 lb. girt at 10’ x 24" x 4" (see 'big boy semi-gun".

D

UncleD,

I think your suggested dimensions are bang on.

So 225 lb doesn’t make me hopeless as a surfer? That’s good to hear … I’m constantly being ripped for my weight … trying to lose but it comes off slow …

So those dimensions are just like my new board I made, only it’s more of a performance LB shape. This is wicked good advice … thanks guys … I think I’m gonna make one …

Anybody know a good source for an EPS blank in LA/Riverside Co. I’ll be there Tuesday. I was even considering pre-shaped if the price is right … but shaping is kind of fun … so … well you know

Billy

hi endless go with uncle d measurements except go an inch wider 23.5 and about 3 and a half thick… run the foam on the deck way out the rails… { make them blocky}… right where your butt is when you sit keep some width… then like back where your back foot stands start pullin it in… this keeps some curve in your outline, which will hold to a steep big wave but also support your 225 lbs… good luck

call Ken at Segway for a blank. He has a link on the site here. He has a nice 9’0 eps gun blank works well.

Thanks! Got a hold of Ken today, and he was able to fit it into his schedule. Looks like I’ll be another step closer to ripping Moss on another big day.

Now if I could work on that paddling strength and get a little more practice on the smaller stuff … maybe I’ll have some skill to go with that board by next winter.

If not … oh well … sharks have to eat too right? :open_mouth:

Billy

Met w/ Ken tonight and got some blanks, and also some wicked good fish tacos :smiley:

That carbon board is awesome … I’m not convinced I could ride a 6’ though :open_mouth:

These blanks are the real deal … I’m so stoked I’d start shaping it tonight if I had my tools in the truck =))

Billy