Bisect Question

I know that the Pope Bisects have been discussed here before, but I'm curious if anyone has an opinions on the new carbon fiber hollow bisects that they're making. Has anyone here ridden one? If so, how did it ride? Any other general ideas/opinions on the design/concept?

I’ve saw a prototype about 5 years ago where Karl beat the thing with a 2x4, no problem. I guess since then he had committed to the long and expensive process of putting the project into production. The Yater 9’6” is coming out soon, if not already. I hear of more on the way. The commitment means that someone is pushing the envelope for change in surfboard design. The strength to weight ratio is pretty incredible, at something like 12 lbs. I could be off on the weight, anybody?

“The commitment means that someone is pushing the envelope for change in surfboard design”

No offence, but a molded surfboard is the exact opposite of pushing for change in surfboard design. By its definition, molding a proven shape for mass production is not contributing to change in surfboard design, it is forcing the design to stay static.

And in case I missunderstood you and you meant surfboard construction instead of design, well then if you call 30 plus year old construction techniques new I guess you are entitled to your opinion. ( I say 30 plus years because the first time I remember seeing one built this way was as a 10 year old at Manly Beach in the early '70s. It was sticking out of a trash can in 2 pieces and I remember my Dad saying some thing about 'I wonder if we could stick it back together and then fill it up with expanding foam and get some use out of it.)

That`s right…

“Preston ‘Pete’ Peterson was actually the first person to build a fibreglass surfboard,” wrote Young, and “he did this in June 1946 with the help of Brant Goldsworthy, who had a plastics company in Los Angeles which supplied component parts for aircraft in World War II. The board was constructed of two hollow moulded halves joined together with a redwood central stringer and with the seam sealed with fibreglass tape.”

1946: Peterson, Goldsworthy, Thal, Quigg & Sweet

http://www.legendarysurfers.com/surf/legends/ls09.shtml

Whoa, did you say fiberglass tape? I’ve never heard of that. Is it just cloth with a sticky side to it? I’m wondering if this would be of use for ding repair or is it not even around anymore?

So if I understand your point, it’s that you think Popes construction is the same as it was in the 70’s. How is it you know how he is doing his work? I have been told it is rather original design that took some time to perfect before committing to the molds. I don’t think its fare to compare what you saw in the trash can to this, but we can agree to disagree. I give him credit before discredit. I did mean surfboard construction / design. I find it fascinating how quick people are to judge others on something other than polyurethane foam laminations. I’ll stick to my statement minis the pushing the envelope, regardless of what level of commitment he might have. To me, it’s exciting to see.

They still make it, I think it’s used for wall repair and whatnot. You’d still have to cover it with resin, so it doesn’t do you much good for ding repair… more expensive, and the adhesive might be problematic?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these boards? I'd love to hear some feedback on how they ride/perform...

I don’t why people would be so quick to dismiss what Pope is doing, after all, he and Morey did come up with a “few” ideas in the past. At least the bisect has a point, as opposed to simply mass producing duplicated shapes a la Surf Tech.

I’d have to believe that the construction technology has come a long ways since Pete Peterson stuck fiberglass shells together with fiberglass tape. I’d also have to believe that Yater’s 9’6" is a very refined and accurate shape. They have a new model available - a 6’10" swallowtail “Big Guy Short Board” Stealth Bisect.

The way I understand they build them is by inserting carbon fiber inside a mold and inflating a bladder that forms to the mold from the inside. Kind of reverse vacuum bagging(?) with no seams. The Bisect technology was worked out quite awhile back and I haven’t heard of any problems.

If they will let us borrow one for display at S.A. 2004, maybe we can take it up the hill and use it for target practice to check their “bullet proof” claims…

http://www.bisect.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Geez louise. This is a tough crowd. I have a custom bisect LB in polyester and have traveled enough with it to say I have more than recovered the cost of purchase. It rides just fine. If you put one foot on each side of the seam, you can feel just a little play. But it is surprisingly ridgid and tough. With normal foot work, you don’t spend too much time in the middle of the board. The method of attaching the two halves is ingenious (and not 30 year old trash technology). The Popes are true innovators and should be given their due.

Thane Pope had a prototype down at Cardiff about a month ago. It was “No Frills” at that point. Not as shiny as the picture shown. Very strong: he dropped it on the asphalt parking lot to demonstrate its strength, and it showed no damage at all. The weight was not super light. I’d say it was a little lighter than a conventional polyester resin board.

Got to keep it out of the sun though. It’ll be a wax-melting machine! Doug

I have a 9 foot Hydro Epic hollow carbon/honeycomb in my quiver. It’s 6lbs. lighter than the Pope. It is a spectacularly Stewartish-type tuned longboard shape. If your going to mold it, mold a great shape. And they did! Mine weighs 10lbs. without wax and surfs amazingly silky smooth and fast,and not a ding or dent yet and I weigh 210lbs. Hollows will definately have a resurgence in the spotlight, after a 30 year vacation. The materials have been around. To succeed requires excellent shapes and a business plan with minimal holes…and minimal production errors. The price of carbon scraps can send you to bankruptcy overnight. You’ll see several new carbon hollow factories emerging soon. I think it’s fresh to see all the construction creativity even if it’s finetuning something old and almost forgotten. Paul Jensen is rocking the hollows. I shared a fun point day with him on his new blue hollow last week. Love, Delbert Pumpernickel

It was fascinating to read how the first resin and fiberglass surfboard ever made, was molded hollow. I wonder what it felt like to those who rode it, their conclusions and how long it lasted.

Fast forward 58 years, and the hollow board still lives, composed of epoxy and carbon fiber, in refined form. Pete Peterson and Brant Goldsworthy would be totally stoked.

I think it`s great to see the old made new.

from their website

'Thanks to advances in aerospace technology, construction methods and materials, todays ‘Travelboard" is not only practical, but surfs like a one piece surfboard.’

notice it doesnt say their board surfs equal to a one-piece,

but like one. Makes me very suspect.

Sort of like a morey-doyle surfs like a real board??

Merits further investigation.

an old bud used to build epoxy hollow carbon kneeboards and belly boards for his friends. no foam. that was back in the 80`s. he used to talk about how easy it was to make em super strong. really light hollow boards all under five-six feet. i test rode a few and they were so sweet. eventually moved on to cusotm carbon bicycle frames. passed away in france chasing his dreams. RIP dane sanderson.

The main thing I wonder about a two piece like these is how rapidly does the amount of play in the joint increase? Is this a board you would only want to surf when travelling, or can you just ride the thing all the time and it never gets that bad?

I'm also curious about the "play" at the seam... how much is it? Does it get worse with time? Hm...