Blank setup does it matter?

As I’m the only shaper posting on here who has actually designed blanks for the big PU companies, I guess I should put in my two cents to help out.

To be successful and sell well, blanks need to accept rocker changes well and have a little versatility built into them. Minus rocker changes can lead to big distortions on deck; so most blanks are designed with about the flattest rocker the shaper would want. That way most of the custom rockers applied will be additions, which won’t make lumps in the deck. Making the blank a little thicker (proportionally) at the tips gives some versatility, and makes indexing on machines easier as well.

Clark worked off of a deck rocker standard, I would imagine US Blanks still does. What this means is that if you submit a bottom rocker, they are going to transpose it to a deck template to glue it up. See the comment above about tip thickness to understand one of the reasons for this; you’re almost always going to be foiling tips to finish, it’s much better to take this off of bottom. Many shapers never understood all the reasons for the deck rocker standard so it would be hard to explain it all here:) 

There are some good horror stories about guys submitting “finish” bottom rockers and getting back really ugly blanks because of distortions they didn’t account for.

The easiest way to submit a custom rocker is on paper, full size with a reference line. The reference line (a straight line on the paper near your rocker curve) allows them to make sure they get it right.

Thanks again - Mike! I think I’m primered on trying a custom rocker now. I know when I eventually build my egg shape (7’2"), I’ll remember all of this.

Anyway, I like how many options there are - once you - say move temp forward, or back… then measure center fore, or aft etc… and that moving template forward - increases rocker in nose, moving template back - make a flatter board. I never really knew how many options open up…

Here are a couple of shots of a very poorly indexed file/rocker/blank combo. Stringer left in tact so you can see the issue. Way to much foam off the deck so it becomes a miscut…trash. example of the guys who dont know and just try to cram anything into Natural rockers. “Just make it work” cuts.

Aqua - g, I got a massive amount of foam on zee deck that needs to pulled back off my (blank deck side) FYI - it’s 2 1/8" Thick 12" from tips! We gotta get rid of the foam tommoro! I’ll be very careful how much FOAM I remove…ty