board building video

Sometime back in the late 80’s ; an excellent surfboard building video was produced by Crawford productions. Narrated by Charley Baldwin and shot at his CB surfboards factory in Florida. It covered everything from shaping,airbrush,laminating,fin work,sanding and gloss-polish. It was offered in only one issue of “Surfing” mag. (I think). It quickley and mysteriously vanished from the scene. It was a great help to me and i’m wondering if anyone else has a copy.

let me know if you find a copy man. Josh

If you find a copy, I would like to get one. I know of two(Northwest USA) videos(80’s - early 90’s) made for building boards. The pressure from other board makers kept the videos from being published. It is too bad. From the people who have seen them, said they were pretty good. Anthony>>> Sometime back in the late 80’s ; an excellent surfboard building video was > produced by Crawford productions. Narrated by Charley Baldwin and shot at > his CB surfboards factory in Florida. It covered everything from > shaping,airbrush,laminating,fin work,sanding and gloss-polish. It was > offered in only one issue of “Surfing” mag. (I think). It > quickley and mysteriously vanished from the scene. It was a great help to > me and i’m wondering if anyone else has a copy. http://www.viser.net/~anthwind/

If you find a copy, I would like to get one. I know of two(Northwest USA) > videos(80’s - early 90’s) made for building boards. The pressure from > other board makers kept the videos from being published. It is too bad. > From the people who have seen them, said they were pretty good.>>> Josh and Anthony ; I have a copy and as I said it was a big help. I refered to it a lot on the first few boards that I did. Especially for the laminating and gloss/polish info. I’m glad I jumped on it when I did because; as you said, info was hard to get back then. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it as I never see it mentioned. Thank you Swaylock for a great service to our sport and craft. Cleanshape

anyone want to sell a copy…come on $$$$$

If you find a copy, I would like to get one. I know of two(Northwest USA) > videos(80’s - early 90’s) made for building boards. The pressure from > other board makers kept the videos from being published. It is too bad. > From the people who have seen them, said they were pretty good.>>> Anthony How in God’s green earth can or could the “industry” put pressure on them? Hit men in the bushes? It most likely was lack of marketing and distribution, a very difficult thing to get a grip on and also the internet was only a fledgling embrio at that time in space. It was an east coast video with a limited audience, today would be a different story.

if you could make a copy of it and send it to me, it would be soooooo awesome. ill pay for shipping and video. i just want a copy. cant have too much knowledge. send me an email at Josh

If not the matter of copyright, digitalize the video and cut it into parts. Get some free web and post the video into it. I think the professional board builder will angry to death. Regards, Crabie

How in God’s green earth can or could the “industry” put > pressure on them? Hit men in the bushes? It most likely was lack of > marketing and distribution, a very difficult thing to get a grip on and > also the internet was only a fledgling embrio at that time in space. It > was an east coast video with a limited audience, today would be a > different story. I guess everyone views things differently,I saw the video in question and found it fairly lame even for how it was the only one out back then. I wrote it off as Charlie and the gang just tryingto make a buck. If memory serves me correctly it really had no insight except to someone who was totally clueless(I mean those who had never seen a factory or a production board being made) from the pics I have seen most of those on this forum are light years beyond what was shown. The JC videos were way more informative and cover much of the same material, so to those willing to pay extra to get a copy, you might want to rethink that and save your money for the Jim Phillips VIdeo , I’m sure that will be money well spent. P.S. This is no slam to Charlie or any of those involved it is merely my critic of the video and the material contained.

Clay: Thanks for the upfront view on this. All the talk had me digging through the old magazines and sure enough I found the ad. Even thought about calling CB and inquiring about a copy. This whole “learn it by video” is new and you have to give the guys who first thought this up some credit for all their effot. I even bought the SaltFever- The Making of a Surfboard video from AU. and found it to be less detailed than the 101 Series but I still found good information in it. Some of it I used today in a glass job. All of this instrutional material is priceless to me especially if you live on the fringes of “BFE” as I do. For those that might be interested , there are several out of print publications on surfboard construction that have great old photos and information on early design and building topics. Some of the early Channin staff photos actually attest to the fact that some of us used to have a full head of hair! The upcoming “Master Shaper Series” by Damascus Productions is going to run circles around the rest of this material, from what I’ve seen. Check their site out at: www.damascusproductions.com Some of the old book titles that are out there: 1. Surfboard Design and Construction, by James Kinstle c. 1975 Natural High Express Publishing- Lis Fish, early egg shapes, basic shaping and construction. 2.Surfboard Builder’s Yearbook Vol. 9, c.1973 Stephen Shaw- early Clark Foam photos, Channin Factory, Tony Channin, Sam Cody, Hoy Runnels, Dick Brewer, Duane Brown, Paul Bordieri and others. 3. How to Build Surfboards and Sailboards, c. 1983 Stephen Shaw, Transmedia.- Topper Driggs, Carl Ekstrom, resin pins, early swallows, bump rails etc. Tom S.>>> I guess everyone views things differently,I saw the video in question and > found it fairly lame even for how it was the only one out back then. I > wrote it off as Charlie and the gang just tryingto make a buck. If memory > serves me correctly it really had no insight except to someone who was > totally clueless(I mean those who had never seen a factory or a production > board being made) from the pics I have seen most of those on this forum > are light years beyond what was shown. The JC videos were way more > informative and cover much of the same material, so to those willing to > pay extra to get a copy, you might want to rethink that and save your > money for the Jim Phillips VIdeo , I’m sure that will be money well spent. > P.S. This is no slam to Charlie or any of those involved it is merely my > critic of the video and the material contained.

Tom S – Call CB and borrow a copy of his vid. Then you tell us. Was this early effort “lame” or loaded with usefull info. I would think most first time board builders are basically “clueless” about much of the process. I know I was and (living in mid-atlantic area) there wasn’t a factory on every corner. Carper’s vidios are better and I’m sure Jim’s will be “state of the art”. I ,for one, am gratefull for all of it. Cleanshape