Board History? 9'-6" T & C Team Board..For D,Varde by shaper James Turnbull

In late May of 2009, my wife, niece and I took a ferry to Friday Harbor and we were surprised to see a surf shop there.  We had a nice chat with the owner.  I don’t think he sold too much surfboards but tourist were interest in his t-shirts.  I was amazed that there were waves in the Sounds that far in.  I also remember a great ice-cream shop near the ferry landing.  I asked for a two scoop cone and that was the biggest two scoop cone I ever had.  It ruined my lunch that day but it was worth every lick.  I loved ridding the ferry and would like return one day to visit other places including Canada where the ferry goes.  Good times. 

I think setting up a surf shop in the most opposite or lacking area of surfing(like Death Valley) should be a profitable venture for the tourist reasons.Keep in mind also that we have the largest number of boats per capita in the US and probably the most lakes of any state in the union(have to check on that one…and a lot of people here wakeboard,snowboard,skateboard,paddleboard,surf-kayak,river kayak,ocean kayak,and other “inland surfing” ideas so the “surf shop” is more of just a a come-on for the related sports sales.

San Juan Island is more on the western end of the San Juan Island chain in the Straits between the US and Canadian side.It is possible they could have some surf beaches on the western side of the island.I don’t know.I think I’ve probably been to San Juan Island,through Friday Harbor, only 2-3 times in my lifetime.

Vancouver Island in Canada is big on surfing also…with access to Vancouver Island by ferry through Victoria from Port Angeles,12 miles from my other place.I imagine a lot of WA surfers might be going there for a vacation,partially for that purpose.

Surf up here…and the weather have both been extremely flat the last couple weeks…warm and sunny,and no extreme tides or wind to stir things up…but I’m watching…trying to plan another trip and try out the board if things improve.

As far as ice cream cones…I had a friend that I threw a lot of frisbee with on Waikiki Beach…when we went for ice cream,his cones were always a lot taller than the ones I got.One day I asked him why…He said "Simple…when I asked  for my scoops I’d tell the girl there that “A friend told me the prettiest girl in this shop gave out the biggest scoops…so I assumed it was YOU!” After that I got big scoops also.LOL!