BOARDWORKS secrets

On Eva Hollman’s “Boardlady” site, the differences between Boardworks and Surftech are shown along with recent improvements in Boardworks construction technology. High density plug inserts, partial stingers and improved rail reinforcement are examples of where they’ve beefed it up at Boardworks.

Broadworks is great, my board had some deck delamination after not that much use. They said they knew about the issue on a couple models and have resolved the manufacturing issue. I think the blank was shaped a little to thin for the epoxy molds that fit over the blank. Either way they replaced the board no charge and even came to my house to check it out offered, to bring the new board over for me or offered to call the local shop to let them know i was coming over to replace the current board. The customer service was very good, so good i was really surprised. I think i’ll keep riding Boardworks because i think the boards have gotten much better and for sure the service has gotten much much better.

Ahh nice…

Hi Robert,

The improvements that boardworks has made is noticeable and i think the boards are getting much better in quality. So Surftech Vs. Boardworks ? I think it almost what shapers boards you like better. I like the Infinity Surftech and the Stewart Boardworks so i have them both. Maybe an Aipa comes next.

Boardworks ride better than Surftechs. I am now going into the restroom to wash my mouth out.

I agree, the shape of the board is what matters most and has a much bigger effect on how well it works than the construction. I have compared the exact same shape in pu/polyester construction (the master shape) to a epoxy sandwich prototype board without stringer system and built light and standard Boardworks construction with stringers and a little heavier in the same conditions with the same fin setup. The differences are noticeable but not like changing the shape or even just changing the fin setup (I liked the standard Boardworks construction best, by the way)

Customers often ask me if they can switch to a smaller board because epoxy/eps boards are more buoyant. My reply is that buoyancy depends only on the volume of the board and it’s weight, not the material used. Imagine a swimming pool filled to the rim. If you put a surfboard into the pool and push it underwater it will displace it’s volume. Therefore, the volume of water that spills out of the pool is equals the volume of the board. So if a surfboard displaces 200lbs of water it’s volume is 200lbs, no matter what materials it is made of. Weight does make a difference. For example if the board weighs 30 lbs, it will float a 170lbs. surfer (30+170=200). If the same board is only 10lbs it will float a 190 lbs surfer. (10+190=200). So a lighter board is more floaty but only by the difference in weight.

If an epoxy board is a few pounds lighter, the difference in buoyancy is pretty small, probably as much as you would feel if you skipped breakfeast before your dawn patrol. A light board is definitely more responsive and has less momentum to overcome when changing directions in turns and accelerating quickly. In some situations a heavier board with more momentum is an advantage, especially when dropping into big waves with strong offshore winds. So, light is good but not always better. What I’m saying is that no one board does everything well and a good all-around board is always a compromise.

That makes sense to me, unfortunately it isn’t normally that big or that strong of an offshore wind in So Cal. We do get our days though and it is sort of difficult to get into the wave with heavy off shore wind. But i have been able to compensate by just keeping the front of the board closer to the water. Be careful going off the top though. It’s all good - Surf well - have fun - be safe.