Building a mid-1960s type noserider and fin. Seeking input.

Well, you may be right, but my impression of the boards I rode in the '60s that were the best nose riders had a bit of ‘pig’ element to them; i.e., wide-point behind center. Here is a link to history of the current Bing Original Noserider:

I think you would be hard pressed to call this wide-point forward.

I’m still seeking more opinions about which fins you  guys like.  

Phil Edwards’, reverse fin.      Thick foiled, of course.

The removable fin was invented so that people could fine tune a board by swapping out fins and choosing what felt best on a particular shape. Put a box in it and let the owner experiment a bit.

All that aside, the Hobie Noserider I had was one of the very early ones. It had a standard D fin.

If you take an 1” or 1 1/2” out of the width of any modern longboard;  It will look more like the old boards.  Automatic.

The “Fringe” by Rainbow.   Has a decent amount of rake, but a wide base.  Comes in at just under 9”.  An “old school” feel and look, holds for nose rides, but turns way better than all those old “D” fins.  There’s a reason people quit using those old fins.  If you are going to install a fin box, install it further back than most modern boards.  If you want the old school ride, you will need to set the fin in such a way that puts the tip of the fin at the tail block or beyond.   Depends on whether you’re just after looks, ride or both.  Under the feet of a good surfer those old D finned boards could turn, but not quickly.

^^^ That’s a good fin.  

My rider is the big guy - 260#.  He’s the one i built that 6-8 quad for a while back.  He likes traditional singlefins, he can surf and he has enough stature to turn just about anything.   He already has a 9-6 pig with a Reverse D fin and an 11-2 TrimPig, also with a Reverse-D.  I just talked to him today about it and he’s thinking one of the pivot type fins.  

I’m sizing the board to suit with a 16.5" or 17" tail so I reckon I’m going to need a larger-than-avg fin to hold when he turns and to hold when he’s trimming forward on the board.  

If he is already a good enough surfer to turn old school D fins well and has some experience with “Pivot” fins;  He will love the Fringe.  The result will be that he will think you have shaped the most responsive Old School log he has ever surfed.