Cheap bagging materials

For those of you who buy bagging film, you may want to check this out. I usually buy my bagging materials from Richmond or Airtech. This is waaaaaay cheaper. They make it in different wieghts, flats or tubes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is common knowledge, but here ya go just in case.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2103.asp?desc=6+Mil+Heavy+Duty+Poly+Tubing

This is exact the stuff that I used. The downside is its a pretty large roll. You have to be commited to buy 300 feet!

great find aqua! im all over it.

how bout some perforated release film?

Not that it really matters, but they are an extremely nice and helpfull company to deal with.

I just bought a 500 ft roll of the 6mil thickness bag. I thought it would be more durable and last longer. Prior I was using 4mil thickness. I am going through the thicker bags way faster than the thinner bags. To get 2 pulls out of the thicker bag is about the norm. My thinner bags, I could get up to 20 pulls. The thicker bag seems more vunerable to leaks on the edges of the tube. I bought mine from a windsurfing manufacturing supplier from WA state. I am going thinner next purchase.

I was wondering about that. I only managed to get 1 pull from my 6 mil bag and I thought it was because of my lack of skill. I would think that the 4 mil would be much easier to seal off. Has anybody else experience the same problems?

What kind of release film are you guys using? Thanks

I think I got my last roll of release film from FIBERGLAST. It all is pretty much the same. Different colors and standard 60" width. Look for the cheapest supplier when you buy this. Don’t be afraid to use it multiple times also.

wow HUGE price diff too…4 mil is much much cheaper!!!

thanks for the heads up…

For cheap release film, take a 1/4"x6"x18" peice of ply and fill it full of nails/screws with the points protruding out. beat the hell out of some film on a cutting table and there ya go.

i was in my vac bay today , got a new guy im training for vac , so bags and jobs everywhere , i pull an old bag out and say wow this one has really done the job , bag is about 6 or 7 years old and done close to 1000 pulls , no drama with setting up new bags and looking for leaks … $120 to 150 for one bag , but way cheaper in the long run …

regards

BERT

The problem for the home builder with the quality bag approach is that I could see myself building boards ranging from 6-12 feet. One bag wouldn’t cut it (at least I don’t think it would). With the tube film I could use it once and throw it in recycling bin.

ther ya go…and it doubles as a self defense device as well…

hey bert…

i found a few places that make bags for about the pride your talking, heat seamed really nice looking. the only problem is that they all use 30ml vynil… i bought a piece of 30ml from the hardwear store and it seems like there i no way it would bend the way i want it too. any suggestions on the thickness? i also have seen some bags made out of rubber and other materials but they are all not clear…

yo dan i made my first bag at almost 10ft and the largest board i have bagged is 7’0", and seeing how i wasted sooooooo much time screwing with homemade bags already…

for cheap release film i just use 1ml painters tarp… cmp gave me some 'real" release film and i just can’t see how it works any different since epoxy dosn’t stick to slick plastic…

Quote:

i made my first bag at almost 10ft and the largest board i have bagged is 7’0"

I was wondering if it would work with that much extra space. Thanks for the info!

A lot of this low cost bagging film you guys are using has permeability issues, they are not completely air tight. You may not need full vacuum, but if you do you are better off using a more expensive quality bagging film.

You can also make a reusable bag using single component moisture clear silicone. 6 ultra thin layers with a scrim in the middle. Use a bondo squeegee to make thin layers. I would use a sheet of glass to my bag off of. You must use a thick layer of Partal Paste #2 (no silicone), flashing off the solvent in the wax with a heat gun, as mold release in making the bag. The silicone will stick to anything.

I use a 15’ long 4 mil tube. I have 2 “rod-in-c.channel” type plastic bag clamps, so I can make the bag any length up to 15’ I want and the rest stays rolled around its tube.

Quote:
You can also make a reusable bag using single component moisture clear silicone.

What kind of silicone do you use? Is it just silicone caulk?

Quote:
Quote:

You can also make a reusable bag using single component moisture clear silicone.

What kind of silicone do you use? Is it just silicone caulk?

Clear silicone Caulk. There are several silicones designed for this that are Styrene resistant, however for gluing skins, no worries. I have used clear silicone caulking from Walmart and it worked just fine, however I would recommend starting with a proven system (see “Airtech” below) and then experimenting on your own after that.

Sealing the bag off can be difficult but there are several methods that work great.

Airtech has one that works great and has a starter kit to boot.

https://www.airtechonline.com/newsletter/index.htm

Sluggo