CI Flyer vs. ...Lost Shark

I’m looking into buying my first brand new board after years of owning only used boards. I have a shop credit for a hefty sum and instead of spending all of it on a lifetime’s supply of wax, I’m looking for a board. It would be for mostly small beachbreak with dreams of bigger things, like maybe waist high if I’m lucky? I talked to someone at the shop and they recommended a 6’2" CI Flyer or 6’2" …Lost Shark. They are roughly the same size in length, width and thickness surprisingly, but surely there are bottom contours, rail profiles and rockers to be considered. I’m about 5’8" and 140 lbs. I don’t know much about either of these boards so I was looking for a little help in that regard.

The two boards are the exact same price, so unfortunately that can’t be my decision maker. The CI Flyer is glassed pretty light as far as I’m concerned (6+4, 4) and I’d like something that will hold up.

And no, I can’t just take the money and make my own. Although I really wish I could. I finally rode the fish I made and it was magical.

Swaylocker Oneula recently suggested the flyer to me and I’ve been looking into it a lot. If you’re nervous about the glass and don’t mind the surftech stuff… I noticed those versions are the same as the poly. I still don’t know if I can go that route though…

Also, I’m about the same size (5’7" 130 lbs) but I was looking at the 5’11" flyer. I’ve never had a potato chip but the CI site said to ride the flyer two inches shorter than you would a normal shortboard… and I was thinking that would put me at 5’11" or 6’0" at the largest… Am I off my rocker? I’ve had the tendency in the past to lean towards boards that are a bit long and corky for me, so maybe I’m overcompensating?

At any rate, everywhere I looked I found nothing but amazing things about the flyer. Everyone who’s owned one seems to have been quite thrilled with it.

Quote:
The CI Flyer is glassed pretty light as far as I'm concerned (6+4, 4) and I'd like something that will hold up.

don’t know about your local shop but custome boards are often the same price as off the rack. So one option might be to get a custome just like the standard and have it glassed heavier. 6+6,6 maybe…

if it is a pu blank which I’m sure it is, is it clark or walker. walker is more even density. there is always a trade between core strength vs glass strength. each has its pros and cons.

just some thoughts

if you want a big label, Rusty > CI in mush…better rails…at least for what’s on the racks in south florida. but potato chip thrusters are just so…UGH!!!..why not get a something like a Martinson X…maybe 7’0"-7’6"…that board’s whole new kinds of fun in any kinda surf! flat entry, and SUPER thinned out rails…single fin only…check one out!

what i would do is go to WRV who has been making boards in that neck of the woods for over twenty years. They know the surf condition on the east coast especially the central EC and shape a good board. There factory is in NC or VA and you could get a custom ride from some cool folks, at least every time I have met Wes Laine he has been a pleasure to talk with. Just my thoughts. Oh yeah you probly save enough to buy a years worth of wax.

Hi Rach,

I heard that the Lost Speed Demon is also comparable to the flyer. That might be another option you might want to check into.

FWIW, I would go for the CI Flyer if you have no preference. The only reason I say so is that the resale price of a CI (from my experience) is usually higher than other boards. People seem to go gaga over merricks. I usually buy in the winter when there alot of deals for merricks then sell in the summer when all the tourists and wannasurfs start looking for boards. You can double what you paid for when you sell in the summer. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Rio

I would say go for a shorter Flyer, in the 6’ range --reasons: 1) Merricks are actually glassed pretty durably for what they are, compared to Rustys and …Lost boards, and 2) that model is supposed to be GREAT for small surf as long as you know you’re gonna be surfing it (pivoting it and pumping for speed) pivoting off your back foot, and 3) if you get one too big, you’ll be forever standing too far forward and bogging the thing, and yeah, 4) Merricks do sell quick.

But honestly I’d say ride your fish a while, look into what rocker does, think about surfing front-footed and whether you really want to spend a lot of time pumping and pivoting, experiment with volume and outlines as you make some more boards,

before you pull the trigger on a board that sounds too big, expensive, and wrong for your style (if you like your fish so much, and understand what surfing off the front foot is).

Nice dilemma though.

I second Daklaw’s suggestion. You don’t seem overwhelmed with enthusiasm for either stick. Wait another 9-10 weeks, then use your shop credit to pick up the Merrick at a clear-out price (if the credit is large enough, buy 2 :slight_smile: Ride it once or twice - maybe you’ll fall in love with it. If not, sell it next May or June at top value. You may not be able to collect the credit in cash directly from the shop, but with a minimum of planning and effort, you should be able to accomplish nearly the same thing.

-Samiam

What is this shop you speak of in DC? Just curious.

Aren’t there any local shapers in your area?

If I was going to fork out the cash for a new board I would never get “a mass produced piece of garbage just like what everybodyelse is riding.” (Loosely quoted from “Dogtown and Z-boys”).

In my area I’d contact Jeff Biggs, Joe Bark, Zen Del Rio or Pat Ryan…someone you can talk to and knows the waves you ride. If you’re lucky they’ll let you go watch them shape it too.

Quote:

Aren’t there any local shapers in your area?

If I was going to fork out the cash for a new board I would never get “a mass produced piece of garbage just like what everybodyelse is riding.” (Loosely quoted from “Dogtown and Z-boys”).

In my area I’d contact Jeff Biggs, Joe Bark, Zen Del Rio or Pat Ryan…someone you can talk to and knows the waves you ride. If you’re lucky they’ll let you go watch them shape it too.

If you read Rachel’s post, it appears that she has a credit at a particular surf shop that may only be redeemed in merchandise…

-Samiam

Yeah Sam, I was aware of that. In fact, I tried to stop my post “mid flight” and I tried to add on that if the surf shop does not offer boards by any local shapers, OK, buy the the Merrick, Lost, HIC, Rusty or one of the other half dozen “namebrands”, but you should also wag your finger at the proprietors and say , “Shame on you for not suppporting your local shaper!”

I’m sure aa few of you would agree with me.

The shop nearest me has a few “name brands,” and a few of what I believe are Chinese made generic brands (Cult?), but he always has a few boards by local guys as well- Angelo Ferrara, Andy Hohri and Joe Bark.

Quote:

Yeah Sam, I was aware of that. In fact, I tried to stop my post “mid flight” and I tried to add on that if the surf shop does not offer boards by any local shapers, OK, buy the the Merrick, Lost, HIC, Rusty or one of the other half dozen “namebrands”, but you should also wag your finger at the proprietors and say , “Shame on you for not suppporting your local shaper!”

I’m sure aa few of you would agree with me.

The shop nearest me has a few “name brands,” and a few of what I believe are Chinese made generic brands (Cult?), but he always has a few boards by local guys as well- Angelo Ferrara, Andy Hohri and Joe Bark.

I know that feeling of wanting to make the words reverse direction all too well :-> Somehow the “By the Great Goo I command you, electrons return to my keyboard” incantation never works for me…

If Rachel can manage to turn her shop credit into cash, she could use it to patronize local shapers, make more sticks of her own, whatever she wants. I should also have suggested that she find out from the shop if the credit is transferable. In that case, taking a 20% (or so) hit to turn it into cash might be worth the reduction in aggravation.

-Samiam

The credit is at McKevlin’s Surf Shop in South Carolina. I’m down here a lot and so it only made sense to me to sell the board somewhere I could get a quick return. Which is what happened, as it was gone within a week. And for $125 more than I paid for it. It was a longboard and they sell very well in the summer. I sold it in April.

I’d lose 25% of it if I took the money in cash, which is why I went for the store credit. They have a lot of boards and do carry a couple of local NC/SC shapes, but they’re apparently not quick to recommend them as they do cost less.

I’m not particularly stoked on the whole shortboard thruster thing, as I’ve been watching the couple of guys at my beach who get maybe 3 pumps and a turn out of the tiny waves. And it never looks smooth.

My quiver is pretty full at the moment so I was looking for something to fill the slots I don’t have. And I don’t have a thruster. The CI resale does sound like a good bonus, I’ve seen them go for a lot. And I’ve only ever heard great things about the Flyer. Maybe I’ll just wait and buy a wetsuit or a boardbag. 5 boards is too many boards for a girl to ride just a couple months out of the year.

I’m 5’9" 160 lbs and ride a 6’2" Flyer. I surf in Jersey so it gets used in everything from knee to waist mush to head high clean 'caine surf. It’s also my board of choice when I go visit my family in San Diego. I wouldn’t consider myself a “ripper”, I mostly just carve. It was my first shortboard and it still gets much use. The Flyer can handle anything Jersey dishes out. It paddles almost as easy as my fish, but can handle steeper drops and faster bottom turns. It also seems to cut through the mush like a fish on sloppy days. I can’t recommend it enough. Since then I’ve gotten into other custom shapes and local shapers, but if I lost the flyer I would either buy another one or ask a local shaper to copy it. Considering the contributions Al Merrick has made to board design along with Malcolm Campbell who ghost shapes for him, I think the Flyer is probably CI’s most significant contribution. Not at all a bad board to have in your quiver. Consider it a shortboard you can ride when the conditions aren’t ideal for a shortboard, but which also works well when you would want to use a shortboard. At your size you might want to go with a 6’0". I have no experience with Lost though so I can’t help you there.

I can’t find anyone who can say a bad thing about the CI Flyer. I’d like to be able to ride it in hurricane or nor’easter surf in Rhode Island, so knowning that it will handle head high is good.

The Flyer . . . .

that was the board that hooked me until Al Merrick’s line . . . until . . . the high CA prices stopped me.

Its very good under OH. It can catch stuff that funboards can get and you can sometimes nail water bumps that longboards usually are required to hit.

I took my Flyer out in OH n OH+ and walled conditions and I was having nurse the crap out of turns. Flyers don’t like good surf. Next day took out the MBM, and I had tons for more fun.

It can turn decent, but if you’re expecting to have nice walled up 4 ft faces, and wanting to slice them apart, you’d better get something more rocker and thinner rails.

For mushy waves the Flyer is the one of the best shortboards to rule.

I weigh in around 155 lbs, and the 6’2" Flyer I had was really bad. It was like riding some big funboard. I could barely duck dive it, and it didn’t have the responsiveness of my 6’2 MBM. I managed to trade a guy for a 5’11" Ksmall. I think the Ksmall is near magic. I have to ride it more and get used to the ultra responsiveness it has.