CI Flyer

If anyone is interested in a detailed visual and dimensional evaluation of a CI flyer let me know and I’ll post.

FLYER

General

6’6 x 19.5 x 14.75 x 12 x 2.63

Lightly crowned deck with thick rails.

This board is primarily suited for heavy surfers, 190+ lb

Board is approx 3-4 years old and has been ridden on the north shore.

Owner (not me) is a big dude…about 220lb who rides both short and longboards.

Board is somewhat on the heavy side…I’d say 7.5+lb with wax & trac top, without fins.

Visual

Both template and (rail) rocker are identical to the pics on their web site.

Template

See web site.

Wide point is 4 inches back of center.

Hip is centered at 16 inches.

Rocker

Rail rocker identical to pic on web site. Note how tail curve peaks around rail fins and is more relaxed towards tail block - critical to fading the deep concave.

Stringer rocker is as follows:

Tail = 2 5/8

12T = 1 1/16

24T = 5/16

Nose = 6 1/8 (wow)

12N = 2

24N = 7/16

Bottom Contour

DEEP single concave runs entire length with slight double added from just ahead of rail fins rearward to center fin leading edge. The single peaks broadly between the rider’s feet, 3/16" deep and slowly fades outward front to back. It is deep through the tail section but with a little double added, not much really. Concave exhausts between the rail fins and center fin. At the center fin the single concave is replaced by a shallow double concave and fades to a very slight vee, double concave combo at tail block, very subtle. Basically just a long deep single with some subtle changes here and there.

Rails

Center is thick and beefy, somewhat rounded, and slightly turned down about 60/40 or 55/45. Center rail apex is 13/16 above rail base! Think big boy here. The lower half has fairly standard, long tucked under edge, hard to semi hard that fades to center. Upper half is very soft and rounded. Did I mention thick?

Fin Positioning

Has FCS fin plugs. Rail fins set at 10 7/8, center fin at 3 3/8. Toe-in about 4 inches offset out from nose tip, Cant is 7 degrees (relative to inward surface slope of concave), probably 4-5 degrees relative to horizontal.

I plan to make me one (6’3) from EPS/Epoxy but with much less nose/entry rocker, probably 30% less, about 4 inches nose rocker. The extra entry/nose rocker seems contradictory when compared to the rest of the board design…its got more nose rocker than most R blanks. Mine will be nowhere near as thick either; about 2.4 inches with less volumeous rails. Likely change the fin setup a little too. Will be used primarily for catching lots of waves in small to descent surf.

1 Like
Quote:

If anyone is interested in a detailed visual and dimensional evaluation of a CI flyer let me know and I’ll post.

Yes im very interested. Basic dimentions, rocker specs, concave configuration, rails etc…

Yes, please…

I’m interested as well

me too

review is posted at top

Can anyone give a description of the design differences, riding characteristics and type of surf bwtn the CI Flyer and Flyer II (I’ve seen the CI website already). Thanks, John

Quote:

Can anyone give a description of the design differences, riding characteristics and type of surf bwtn the CI Flyer and Flyer II (I’ve seen the CI website already). Thanks, John

As far as i can tell the flyer2 has a more pulled in outline in the hip area and a swallow tail. Apparently everything else is the same

The Flyer F is just the current Flyer model - it’s the one on the website.

Yes, I measure using the method you described. I thought it seemed low too.

The board I have has a slight (3/32") spiral vee in the last 4 inches of the tail. Single concave throughout the rest of the board.

ok, thanks

cheers Tommy, I did a search for the Flyer F and it exists but its not on the CI website yet although I could see a new design called the “Whip” which looks similar to the Flyer 2. The nose rocker you measured seems reasonable but a tail rocker of 1  5/16" seems really low. It was measured in the usual way, with stick at a tangent to the half way point along the stringer?

The Flyer 2 is more of an all round board than the Flyer 1

[img_assist|nid=1046471|title=Flyer 2 dimensions|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1046472|title=Flyer 2 outline shape|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

I measured my 6’1" Flyer F last weekend. The nose rocker is 5" and the tail is 15/16", fyi. It’s a great board. LOVE the way it surfs.

WHERE IS THE ROCKER APEX OF THIS SURFBOARD, WHEN THE WP IS 4’’ BACK ???

IF YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION YOU ARE A GENIUS !!!

Define "rocker apex."  Is it the lowest spot in the arc when the board is balanced on a horizontal surface bottom down?  Is it the apparent spot where the rocker line makes the tightest arc?  Is it at the center point when a reference edge is placed accordingly?

Can there be more than one 'apex' along the curve?  I've been known to reference "tail rocker apex" (incorrectly in all likelihood) as the spot where the tail rocker breaks.  There might also be a "nose rocker apex" where the nose rocker is most abrupt.  I realize that this is not technically correct in geometric terms.

In the James Kinstle book on surfboard design and construction ($250 on Amazon.com - LOL) he has a unique way of measuring rocker... the tail is placed dead flat and used as the zero point.  NOBODY I know measures rocker this way.

If Meecrafty has measured from a zero center point, the rocker line can pretty much be determined with a flexible batten or rod bent through the dimensions given.  Equally important to consider might be thickness measurements.  His rocker reference point was placed within the concave ('stringer rocker') but rocker measured in the same spot between nose and tail will be different at the rail and stringer... I.E.  concaves and vee can throw your raw 'stringer rocker' measurements off. 

Even when the 'apex' appears to be placed behind center, the stringer rocker can still be measured from center.  The appearance of rocker being behind center is simply related to thickness placement and how the board is positioned when they took the picture... tilt the board forward and make it appear that the apex is at dead center.

Note: balance point and rocker apex are not necessarily the same.  The same board placed on a horizontal surface might not balance at the center point OR the apex.  

The center point used as the zero reference makes more and more sense when the variables are considered. 

Then there are the guys who reference everything to the deckline.

Rode a 6’4 flyer in Puerto Rico this winter, and the board really worked for me. One of the most versitile shortboards I’ve ever ridden. I’m about 190lbs, and had no problems, even on smaller days when I’d normally grab a different board. I think the volume distribution is key to this board’s performance and versitility, including the rail volume, which didn’t seem overly thick to me, but well shaped and foiled… full and round, with a nice hard edge. I recall the pod to be slightly wider, too, but not so much that it mutes the wide, accentuated hip at the leading edge of the rail fins.

As for changing the rocker, I think that’s what made the board work in bigger, more hollow surf. If you flatten the entry rocker, you might not get the board to perform as well when it gets good… it could become just another groveler. If I was lowering the rocker, I’d make the concave shallower, too. I think they complement each other.

I took a good hard look at a "Flyer F" quad recently in a shop and it was definitely a very solid looking board, good all rounder type of board - seemed to be ample for the"big guy" (I am one at 6 ft 225 lbs)... this one was 6'6 x 21.25 x 2.75(? I think)

I have been seriously considering this board as my all round hp shortboard (NE FL sand bottom beach break waist to head high mostly)

I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about what is the difference between a Flyer and Flyer F (???)... I have no clue

Apart from the three main rocker threads in the archives, there is this one that I found really helpful.

Modern Rocker (Webber's Taj Model)

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1009111

Particularly Bert's comment on 'hidden nose rocker' about two thirds down.

Quote:

"...ive been into that style of rocker for along time ,,,,i remember when merrick started getting copied coz of kelly's wins , guys were trying to copy his boards by putting the straight edge on in the usual manner but because of his false nose entries the straight edge was falling onto to the nose more and giving the impression of massive tail rocker ....i used to laugh at the merick imitations coz the guys doing them had no idea about the hidden rocker....they were churning out unsurfable pigs.....

im sure if spence was recomending that curve hes well aware of the fact you should eye the curve and move your straight edge around and not always work from the centre...when dealing with hidden nose rockers

regards
BERT

In the past the CI Flyer rocker has been published as 2" tail and 5.75" nose rocker (that would need to be scaled). I'm guessing the above poster has made the exact error Bert mentions.

[quote="$1"]

In the past the CI Flyer rocker has been published as 2" tail and 5.75" nose rocker (that would need to be scaled). I'm guessing the above poster has made the exact error Bert mentions.

[/quote]

Dont think so bra.

6N and 2.6T was the accurte measure. Properly executed, ie using a straight edge (accurate tangent) pressed at dead center, there is only one proper reading because there is only one true tangent at that point.

Rocker measurement has been argued on Sways to death (there was one thread that was many pages long and no matter what Barnfield said and photos he put up, people just wanted to debate further) and to me there is very little to argue about. Its a very simple measurement. If what Bert said is true, the measure would have been 5N and 3.5T - and that wasnt the case. 

Variable rocker thru the use of concave has also been covered ad naseum. And yes, you can extend entry rocker by using concave, in fact it sort of happens by itself if you know how to shape concaves for performance.

Rocker Apex is probably one of the most overly argued topics on Sways. And it can vary depending on what part of a concaved surfboard your looking looking at.

My personal preference is look at a board's concave from the side with the deck side up. There are things I can see that I cannot see with the bottom up. Ive gotten to the point where I can look at a shortboard's profile and estimate nose and tail rocker to within 1/4 inch. This is what happens to people who do more, rather than talk or type more. YMMV...to each his own...