Cippy Cabato, Classic Longboards Honolulu to close shop...

What a great concept. Why doesn’t someone open a store that only carries stuff that they make themselves. Have a lady sewing hand made surf trunks. Print their own silk screen shirts. Only sell custom classic hand made boards shaped by the owner. Get their aloha shirts hand made to their specs in Hawaii from print cloth from a surfer owned textile company. :slight_smile:

howzbout hand print

the cloth 4 yards at a time.

like that field of dreams tagline

build it and they will come…

this revolution is slow in

being fully appreciated

but on its way,

joanie said it …

''dont know what

you’ve got til it’s gone…‘’

…ambrose…

trunks 125.00

aloha shirts 300.00

custom hassle? nah,

try 'em on they fit?

She go. one time

broke the seam 

bring em back 

fix 'em right there.

whats the opposite of mass market ?

in england  thats be - spoke

oops double trouble…

posta-saur

If it’s good stuff, it’s still viable.

Interesting history of Kanvas by Katin: went under corporate hegemony, then succeeded in liberating themselves later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanvas_by_Katin

Quality and tradition are paramount with them. As of about three or four years ago, you could still go in the shop in Surfside, and Sato would be in the side room with her sewing machine (every day). You could get sized, describe to her what you wanted (style, material)  and be back to pick up your custom trunks in a day or so.

I’m guessing she might still be there.

Sad to see the shop close. They sold a few boards for me on consignment over the years. One time I dropped off a board around 4:00 pm in the afternoon and got a call from Ginny 45 mins. later saying that she had just sold the board. You never knew what to expect upon entering the shop to browse in the used board section…classic longboards from back in the day to cherry 70s downrailers. I’m still kicking myself in the butt for not picking up a late 60s Hayden Kenny Greenough influenced spoon that was selling for less than a hundred bucks and saw it at an auction a few years later going for a few thousands. Cool to hear Barry M. will be taking over with his Inter Island brand, I’m pretty much sure he’ll carry on the legacy Cippy left behind with his own brand of stoke.

Always a good bunch of vintage boards in the racks, I’ve bought quite a few myself over the years from Ginny. Sold a bunch too. Always a pleasure to do business with! One in particular was a Greg Noll original slot bottom with his fatboy/movie camera logo. Same thing, it was a couple hundred bucks. Big $ now. Oh well, I always bought em to ride anyways. Next time I’m ready for a new longboard, it’s going to be Cippy who makes it for me!

Bill I Have been to a shop like that in Florida. It’s  run by a really nice couple. He has a lot of  stoke  for an old guy and She is so nice and charming.  It is a pleasure just walking in the Door.  

Now if I could only remember their names and the name of that Shop? 

An old guy? Yeah, I wonder who that could be…mmmmmmm.

I stopped in the see Barry at the new Inter Island Surf Shop on Kapahulu within site of Waikiki.

It’s in Cippy’s old location so there’s lots of history there.

Barry has some great boards and a real nice selection of t-shirts. I even got a t and so did my son. I have a t-shirt printing plant so for me to buy a t-shirt at retail they have to be special and these are.

Had a great time visiting with Barry on a couple of occasions last month. Stop in if you’re in the area.

i just picked up a Cippy. My neighbor called and said a guy who lived near us had some boards to give away for my boys. I told him we would take them, I guess he remembered I longboard and he picked up a Cippy from him as well. It’s in rough shape missing a fin, going to see if its worth restoring a bit to ride.