CLEANING SHAPED BLANKS FOR GLASSING

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN A SHAPED BLANK? THE BLANK I HAVE HAS SOME LINT & DIRT ON IT. ALSO PEOPLE HAVE HANDLED IT W/ OILY HANDS, HOW CAN THIS BE CLEANED? WHAT ARE SOME CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED TO DO THIS AS WELL AS SOME WAYS TO STORE SHAPED BLANKS? THANKS STEPHEN

Lightly brush(use a soft brush) off or blow off the lint and dirt. Then lightly sand the blank with 220 to remove oil from handling.>>> I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN A SHAPED BLANK? THE BLANK I HAVE HAS SOME LINT > & DIRT ON IT. ALSO PEOPLE HAVE HANDLED IT W/ OILY HANDS, HOW CAN THIS > BE CLEANED? WHAT ARE SOME CLEANING PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED TO DO THIS AS > WELL AS SOME WAYS TO STORE SHAPED BLANKS?>>> THANKS>>> STEPHEN http://www.viser.net/~anthwind/

Lightly screen it off. Blow it off. Wide masking tape pulled gently across the board (Sticky side down dude) and rails works GREAT for lint and animal hair.

Never handle a blank afer you’ve prepped it for laminating unless you hold it with paper towels or you’ve JUST washed your hands. I never do a final “blow off” with with the air. I let the lam prep guy do it. If you leave a little foam dust on the blank while it’s in the racks awaiting glass, it will slightly protect the blank from unwanted handprints to a point. Every shaper (even backyard guys) should have a compressor with an air nozzle to assist in keeping the blank free of grit while fine sanding. aloha

So that’s why all you shaper types bring boards into the shop full of foam dust! I never thought of that Tom. Good point.

So that’s why all you shaper types bring boards into the shop full of foam > dust! I never thought of that Tom. Good point. I airbrush my own so I had to think of away to get them to my glassers without greasing them up…you may have heard others say this ,but as far as I know I was the first to do this…DRY CLEANER BAGS! Go to you favorite dry cleaner, cry alot,and ask them for some long bags.The longest bags are 6ft. so you have to double up for longer boards,plus they are a great UV BLOCKER!!!CraftyHerb!

Some shapers buy big rolls of poly tubing (available in 24-36" widths) and seal the ends with tape. Also available in different thicknesses. One roll will do a lot of blanks. A link to a supplier is below. http://www.veripack.com//Product/dept.asp?ClickedSku=no&dept_id=11119&DeptPath_id=110%2C+1120%2C+11119&Searched=True&HeaderName=Clear+Polyethylene+Tubing&search1name=Mil%2FGauge&Mil%2FGauge=2.0+Mil

I was in a shop whose owner is into collecting boards. He had located some board bags, complete with zippers that were simply made out of bubble wrap. They cost about $29.00 and seemed like a perfect reusable solution for transporting shaped blanks safely. TS>>> I airbrush my own so I had to think of away to get them to my glassers > without greasing them up…you may have heard others say this > ,but as far as I know I was the first to do this…DRY CLEANER > BAGS!>>> Go to you favorite dry cleaner, cry alot,and ask them for some long > bags.The longest bags are 6ft. so you have to double up for longer > boards,plus they are a great UV BLOCKER!!!CraftyHerb!

Some shapers buy big rolls of poly tubing (available in 24-36" > widths) and seal the ends with tape. Also available in different > thicknesses. One roll will do a lot of blanks. A link to a supplier is > below. I get mine at the Home Depot (Dad’s toy store) for $1.79 for a 36" roll of clear poly and it lasts for a long time. Tape on each end and you’re done. Got the idea watching Jim protect a blank he just shaped… Magoo

24" wide bubble wrap. doubled, cut to length, duct tape the sides and one end. these work so good. also great for storage and inside a coffin for travel.