Cleanlines; r.e. color panel on hotcoat

A quick one: How well would it work to tape off a large, full deck and bottom area on the sanded hotcoat and simply hand paint a background base color of acrylic, followed by a more intricate detail painting, then lightly sand (is sanding neccessary before gloss?) and gloss/polish? Would a large panel hand painted, rather than sprayed, look nice? Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

A quick one: How well would it work to tape off a large, full deck and > bottom area on the sanded hotcoat and simply hand paint a background base > color of acrylic, followed by a more intricate detail painting, then > lightly sand (is sanding neccessary before gloss?) and gloss/polish? Would > a large panel hand painted, rather than sprayed, look nice? Thanks for > your input, it is much appreciated. In my opinion few people have the talent to hand paint a solid color without making it look obvious. Now if your detail painting covers up brushstrokes, or you can artistically incorporate brushstrokes into your design, go with it. You don’t need to sand after acrylic, and I recomend a few light topcoats of protectant.

In my opinion few people have the talent to hand paint a solid color > without making it look obvious. Now if your detail painting covers up > brushstrokes, or you can artistically incorporate brushstrokes into your > design, go with it. You don’t need to sand after acrylic, and I recomend a > few light topcoats of protectant. I kinda agree with Rook about the background thing but if it is art you can do waht ever pleases you…you can always sand it off if you dont like it.Here are the steps I take…let the art dry for a few days…it will be thicker than spray so it needs time to cure.Scuff it lightly with red scothbrite…apply a mist coat of clear acrylic (some paints will bleed so this is a safety measure)…let it dry for 24 hrs and scuff again.You can now gloss the board…to get it really nice I double gloss with thin coats sand in between with 320 on a soft pad.By double glossing you can polish out any brush strokes that were in the paint.Jim Phillips told me that they double glossed all of the replica Greg Noll Da Cat boards in this manner.One point about this double gloss thing…I use super green foam and six ounce glass.I tend to think that double glossing over four ounce with light (blue) foam may have a tendancy to crack but I have never done it personally.The “marble” board of mine somewhere in the archives is double glossed…“better safe than sorry”…R. Brucker

Thank you very much Rook and Roger. I think we are going to go ahead with a “painting” on the sanded hotcoat. The girl doing the work is great, and I’m thinking since she wants a water scene with fish and kelp, etc., the full panel blue can be well done with the brushstrokes, then do the fish over it. Then I’ll do what you said Roger and, if the first gloss does not do it, a second will be added. Thanks again!

what about tinted resin panels? like stripes…what grit should be used to sand the panels prior to glossing??

what about tinted resin panels? like stripes…what grit should be used to > sand the panels prior to glossing?? Just hit the zits by hand with some 220 and then use red scotchbrite to dull the finish.If you gloss at the right time you don’t have to do any of this but it can be tricky…no big hurry eh?..R.B.

Just hit the zits by hand with some 220 and then use red scotchbrite to > dull the finish.If you gloss at the right time you don’t have to do any of > this but it can be tricky…no big hurry eh?..R.B. Speaking of that, is sand or gloss resin used for resin panels on the sanded hotcoat? To do acrylic paint on a resin panel, would it be best to handsand to 220 and scortchbrite before the acrylic, then gloss? Thanks R.B.