Cold Weather Glassing

Hola Swaylockians,

So I have done a bunch of research on glassing in the cold but I still have a few questions for you guys.  So I lammed up my board about 2 weeks ago with UV polyester resin.  The room I glassed in was heated to about 60 degrees F with a space heater. I catalysed my resin at about 1% then I stuck it in the sun for a fast full cure.  The temp outside of my shop was probably more like 50 degrees F.  I got both sides of the board lammed but have not glassed on my fins or done a the hotcoat yet.  The lammed board has been sitting in the shop for 2 weeks and the tempurature has dropped, especially at night, into the 30’s.  I did not use sanding resin, but my board has lost all the tackiness associated with lam resin.  I am worried that the hotcoat or glass on fins will not adhere properly with the board.  any tips?

…better to have some tackiness but still is good to go. Main problem that you would find is to have micro bubbles in the deck; this hot coat in some cases does not get rid of these.
Why did you let the board 2 weeks without the hot coat?; that s not the best protocol to follow.
Use UV cat resin for the hot coat too.

Hey Reverb,

My friend who also surfs wanted to build a board for the first time and asked me if he could build one with me.  I am kind of showing him how to do it.  I have built a few boards before but still figuring some stuff out.  He lives two hours away and he couldnt make it back to my shop for two weeks. He realy wanted to be there for every step in the process of the build.  Hopefully we can get it all done during the thanksgiving break.  I was thinking of doing a squeeggee coat of lam resin over the Lamination to fill any micro bubbles or possible pinholes in the lam.  Is thata good idea?  Thanks again!

A Squeegee coat will certainly not hurt. Especially if you have touched the board over the last 2 weeks and left oils and dust on it.  Blow the board off real good or wash it down with good ol’ water, just make sure it is perfectly dry.  Make sure you get your room as warm as you can a couple hours ahead of when you hot coat.  You want the board to get a chance to equailize temp with the room.  Use some light bulbs under the board or additional space heaters if you need to.  Once your temps are acceptable, do your light squeegee pass, then hot coat as normal.  I would shut down the heat just before I applied the hot coat and let the falling temp work for you.  Remember, this isn’t rocket surgery, you are building a toy.  In other words, don’t over stress about it, just do the best you can in the conditions you have to work in.  In the end, you will have a functional board and a stoked buddy!

Enjoy!

Aaron

Its all a matter of how much catalyst you use. Cold weather takes more catalyst…adding pigment adds even more…doing pinlines takes an incredible amount of catalyst…unless you want see through runny thin pins.

As for hotcoating over a cured lam coat…this is a good thing, you should beable to prep the lams for the hotcoat and save you grief when you have to sand the hotcoat. Waiting 2 weeks is not that big of a deal. 2 months,maybe.  The issue as stated above is valid. airborne contamination is the issue, but I would not wash my board down with water, soapy water, or any other potential disease without a hotcoat in place.  If you waited this long just hot coat it and see what happens. 95% it will be fine…or the separation in hotcoat will be right where you have been carrying it with your big ol dirty jalopy hands on the rail.

All in all if you have pinholes separation etc, you should be able to sand them out. Hot coat is only supposed to fill the weave, it’s not a thick protective coating…so you need to sand it most of it off.  The protective coating would be the gloss…and that goes on thin.

get to work

Thanks guys. Cant wait to get back at it this weekend.  My buddy is super pumped on the board so far!  It has been really fun building a board with someone else who is equally stoked on surfing.  Thanks for all of the advice.  Hope the surf is up wherever you may be!

…hello, I live in a cold weather place so in winter time the AC units work all day to carry my small lamination room and barely can maintain 18; the fact is that laminate boards in cold weather or in too much hot weather (near 40C) is another world. I work and worked in these conditions;
Resin properties be inhibited in less than 14C (constant temp) even worst for Epoxy resins.
Too much MEKP does not help and happens two things: brittle resin and no cured resin, always.

–All depends on the quality desired. I bet all my tools that you have micro bubbles there in several parts.
Yes, you can use lam resin + styrene with a small harder squeegee to try to get rid of some, then do the hot coat.

Hey Reverb,  Whe you say “microbubbles” what exactly do you mean?  and just wondering how and why cold temps cause this in a lamination? thanks

…hello, in your case those micro bubbles occurs because you have there that deck lamination for too long without a filling coat, finishing with a dried lamination.

With a lamp check in the nose, corners etc and you ll see those micro bubbles caused for the now dried lamination + gassing.
With very hot weather the gassing is worst and you can have a very good lamination and hot coat, then after a few hours you can see a nightmare of micro bubbles where there s a bit less resin and more fiberglass or where s too much resin and less fiberglass

I would never leave a board lammed without a hot coat.  That’s just asking to attract dust, dirt, bugs and fingerprints.  Particularly with UV cure there is no reason to wait.  Doesn’t take long at all to hotcoat…then you can forget about it.

Strange comments Mr. Reverb. Super smart guy uses AC in the winter ?  Do you flip the units backward for heat?

…hello Stringray; why strange? the AC is used in Summer moving cold air and in Winter providing heat…

All that pushing a button in the remote control that says: “HEAT”, “COLD”; “FAN”, etc

Haha here in nz ac units are mainly sold as heatpumps for homes much more efficient than a space heater.

Heat pump is just another name for a air conditioner, reverse cycle (heatpump type) or cooling only both condition the air. A space heater and ac at he same watt rating will be no diference in price, but if that ac was a inverter type, then it become a lot cheaper.

I pulled a old 7kw ac out of a mates place, installed a new one in hes house and put that old one in a small glassing room I built, shed was 38degrees C but the room was a cool 19 haha