Colored Laminates

A bunch of us old guys were sitting around talking today and the subject of colored laminations came up. None of us could remember who did em first. Anyone out there have an idea about this. Was the Da Cat the first. I’m gettin old and the memory…

Dontknow who did em first but they sure do look allot better then airbrush.

Not sure if this was was the first but it pre-dates Da-Cats and others. Quotes from “Surf’s Up” by Mark Blackburn “Hobie, Dana Point, California, 9’8”. Single Stringer, foam with balsa, foam fin, circa 1959. This type of board was known as the “Easter Board”. Hobie Alter and Grubby Clark were pioneers in foam development. Some people give credit to Dave Sweet, but it was their contribution that was most commercially signifficant. Hobie and Grubby hid foam blanks on roofs all over Orange County, Ca., testing UV and heat/cold reactions. Some of the formulas would swell to twice their original size, while othere would disentegrate due to exposure to the elements. The foam didn’t blow clean and wormholes (bubbles) developed. This would not be discovered until the blank was shaped, resulting in the usage of multi-sringer setups in copletely pigmented boards in the 1960’s. Boards were pigmented solid light blue, violet or yellow in order to hide the imperfections in the foam, hence the term “Easter Board”… Tom S.

Hello Tom…long time.Yep those colored lams go way back to the fifties.Anyone know who was the first to wetsand and machine polish a board?I think that I know but I’m looking for input.When they first appeared everyone went insane trying to figure it out.(I hate polishing so lets kill him). R.B.

Hey Roger! good to hear from you. Been meaning to call , hope all is well. Imagine all that pigment just to cover up mistakes, one giant resin pinline. Tom S.

Actually I’m not sure those were colored laminations. I’ve seen some of those and they were glossed color. And if they were, that’s not really what I’m talking about. That was just a crude way to cover bad foam. What I’m talking about was the art of laminating. Trim laps, inlays, tints. I don’t remember seeing anything from the 50’s or 60’s like that. All the boards I’ve seen from the 60’s were gloss color. I remember starting to see colored laminations in the late 60’s… really on some of the first shortboards like Plastic Fantastic. And those were the first tints I remember. Then before that Wind an Sea had what they called “inside color” which was the first airbrush… I think. Fabric was done about the same time. Weber found a source for flower printed paper by Peter Max. So who?

The first full rubouts I saw were done by Oceanside in Melbourne Fl. They told G&S how they were doing it and I don’t know from there. There may have been more than one source. In any case, yes, lets kill them.

Plastic Fantastic,Channin Diffenderfer,and Sunset Surfboards were the first refined boards I ever saw.By that I mean super clean pins,tints,full polish etc.I remember Oceanside…I went there with Wayne Land in the late sixties and they were ahead of the times with floral inlays and all that stuff.Also Surfboards Hawaii with the famous glosser (Brummett)doing the incredible resin fishes.Things seemed to leap forward in a very small time frame as far as quality goes.I still say kill the polish guru (according to Jim Phillips it was Tony Channin.)This is an interesting subject…anybody know Sam Cody??He would be a good source for info. R.B.

laast i heard, cody was painting for evolution surfboards. interesting posts- i remember seeing a bing laying around the shop for a while- the volan had been ‘printed’ with a floral pattern. another product of the oceanside gang?

Mulhern (Donnie, not Pat) was early into that real quality color period too. I’ll bet Haut would know too. He worked at the Oceanside factory shaping some of those flower print boards. And come to think of it, I do remember Oceanside longboards having tint colors in the 60’s. Yellow. The laminator was a guy named Carter. Had serious drug problems and laminated 100 a week with no mask. All colored with trim laps and all. That was in the late 60’s, early 70’s. Johnny Rice was the main shaper at the time.

are most colored laminate boards covered up with a tinted hot coat? any tips for a smoother finish? what type of stroke with the squeege? sorry,but we’re on the subject

While I was on the subject I talked to another old guy today, Carl Beulac, and he mentioned that Surfboards Hawaii had colored laminations in the late 60’s. I had forgotten that one too. That probably would have been Mulhern or Channin. Probably the latter. Most colored laminations have clear hot coats. As far as how, a good squeegee and practice. There is a feel for it I couldn’t describe in words.

I remember seeing pigmented lams on boars around 1959 they were done mostly with opaque solid colors.This was at Tom Flahrty surfboards (in the south bay area). He later had a shop in the San Fernando Valley. I don’t remember ware they were getting the foam I was just a wee grom at the time. http://dreamflagproductions.com

I have never heard of a tinted hotcoat…maybe if someone makes a mistake or something.Seems to me like when sanding you would get light spots.There is such a thing as an opaque pigment job,it was common in the sixties.The board was glassed,hotcoated(clear),sanded and then the opaque color was layed on just like a gloss but with the logo taped off.Lastly it was glossed in clear resin.Most of the colors were based in white with color added.Comepetition Bands were done in this manner along with panels etc.Robert August rode a white pigmented Jacobs in “Endless Summer”.I did a few resin panels last year,its actually pretty easy. R.B.

color laminates were around in the sixties-Harbour had them 65-66 that I know of and Gordie had the famous coke bottle green thing going in the early sixties-Bing had a few around the mid sixties and I also remember seeing some on a few Greeks and there was a company called Clearlight out of San Clemente(I think) they had the best light blue tints I have ever seen —who started it all? Channin had to be in the best 10-20 guys