Con "Wing Nose" longboard

If you want to sell it for Three hundred, I'll buy it and pay to have it shipped to OR.  

My memories of the board match Sammy A's, I thought all the wing nose models were flat.  I went to high school in W Los Angeles, and Con Surfboards were down on (i think) Pico  in Santa Monica.  Any way, one day I was out surfing Bay St in SAMO, and traded off boards for a few waves with someone who had a Con Competition Wing Nose.  It was a fun board, turned easy, and rode the nose.

Don't let the Huntington guys near that thing.  It's in good shape.  Stripping the glass off would ruin it.

Mike

Hahaha! 

Yup. 824 Pico Blvd. Phone # was EXbrook 6-8224

There were no adjustable fin systems then. Chances are, that fin was a compression fit with no hardware involved. The fins were meant to be permanent. I found a couple of ads for Con that show both the Wing nose and Comp models. I’ll scan 'em up later, and post them here. One has a good picture of the Comp model fin.

Thanks SammyA...i'd like see the pics...Boy!..i'm really regretting having the box replaced..the older gentleman i bought the board did a heck of alot better job of taking care of this board-just by letting it hang in his garage for over 30 yrs.."SOMETHINGS ARE JUST BETTER LEFT ALONE"...I wonder if the shop i had the box done would still have the old box and fin?To the one who sent me a message-requested more pics of the board (standing up/side-view..etc)..i'll post it later when i get a chance.

These are scans from magazine ads that appeared between May and July of 1966.

The Competition Wing Nose Model. east and West coast versions:

Some ad copy for the Competition Model, with a shot of the fin:

Slipcheck was one of Tom Morey's inventions. It was wax replacement for the nose of a board for added traction when perched on the Nose hanging a five or a ten.

My guess is that the Board is a 66 0r 67 vintage.  26 LBs was about an average weight for a board from that era. As I recall glass was 12oz? Not sure maybe a long time glasser would have more info for you.  Claude Cogens ( The CC Rider) was one of Cons East Coast team riders.  Gray Propper and Claude were the first East Coast surfing stars.  You might want to do a search on the web in regards to your excellent find.

By the way can you sleep at night knowing you stole that Board! Only kidding, I dream of finding a board like that in some garage.

Now get that original fin back in that Board!

Partly correct. Most folks used it on the nose and tail. The middle section would be waxed to avoid unnecessary abrasion on one’s skin when paddling.

Is there an echo in here?

Incorrect. Industry standard in the mid 60s was double 10 oz. Some brands offered single 20, 8 oz, and other combos. Never heard of anyone using 12 oz. In fact, I’ve never even heard of 12 oz, period.

That would be Claude Codgen. He went on to start his own label, Sunshine Surfboards out of Cocoa Beach.

Why was the WC version a pig and the EC not? Been riding a JP wingnose piggie with a big ol D fin the last few days and loving it, would like that pig above minus the wingnose.

Now that you mention it, that does seem odd. EC waves being slower and less punchy would seem to be more suited to a fuller tail. In fact, most 60s EC moels from WC builders were just wider versions of existing templtes. Such as the Weber Performer, Feather, Stylist, etc. All came in East and West versions, with the EC shapes being a tad wider.

What have you got against wing noses? My “long” board is an 8’ Pavel with a wing nose, and it works like a charm. Almost have to force it, to pearl.

It’s a log thing with me, the JP works great but on the nose I like to reset trim for lack of a better term I guess, the wingnose climbs and holds but I like to downshift. Your right though, in other cases such as HP longboards etc… they work great.

[quote="$1"]

[quote="$1"]

If you want to sell it for Three hundred, I'll buy it and pay to have it shipped to OR. [/quote]

Hahaha! 

[/quote]

Sammy! 

Shush! 

It might work!

Mike

here's a few more pics...the one of the board hanging up in the garage rafters is how i saw the board-before i offered to buy it."I thought it was just a board"..i wasn't even gonna ask about it--wasn't even aware of the brand,model or age.I just thought it was a board someone bought at a swap meet or yard sale?the guys house is like 45 miles from the nearest beach....heck i wasn't even familiar with the Con logo.The other pic shows the "slipcheck" before removing some of it.The pic of the tail showing the fin is what i was before (I know..don't say it) I had it replaced(dumb idea)...heck i just bought it for 50 bucks,what did i know at the time.....He even starting saying his son had 2 more  boards in his attic even older.."I dunno I think he  said the brand was B.Simmons and a Peck-penetrator? ..yeah right" last thing i wanna do is go in some hot dirty attic...besides he was asking 250 for both.

what!!!!!..300 bucks..for that price i'll deliver it myself..whataya think Mike..should I?

That board looks so bitchen...

If he really has a Penetrator sitting around you should go get that too.

Mike

I dunno I think he  said the brand was B.Simmons and a Peck-penetrator?..l..okay u got me-a buddy told me to put that one in(sorry guys)....."DREAM ALITTLE DREAM"......Thanks for the scans of the old ads SammyA...wow!!must have an archive of mags.

You can find those old fins here and there. My advice: If the shop that put the box in doesn’t still have the old fin (they probably don’t since they were stupid enough not to advise you to keep it and just reset it) then put out a bunch of wanted ads here on Sways, on CL, on Longboard.net and wherever else you can. There are a few places with big collections (e.g. Matador surfboards on the EC) that might have one lying around. Sure the box makes things versatile but better to have an original fin. Then you can have it reset (many of these old boards have had that done anyway, by necessity) and can sleep at night knowing you’ve put that beauty back the way it should be.

Or you can sell it to me as is. Please check your PMs.

It's hard to tell how much of this thread is a joke and how much is true. But what's not a joke (apparently) is that you had a perfectly good fin removed and replaced with a modern box. Why you did that is hard to fathom. Why the repair shop did it is not. The answer there is $$$

For those of you who are seriously interested here's a little lesson in fin history----

Back in the sixties some manufacturers routed in the fins rather than glassing them on top of the boards the way most are done today. An old G&S ad said "Routed in fins are stronger and neater in appearance".

Many started using a system which came from TRAF aka Tom Morey Skegworks. (TRAF was FART spelled backwards). The system consisted of a fiberglass box which was installed into a routed slot and a polypropelene fin which was wedged into the box. Resin was then poured around the fin base even though it didn't stick to the fin. A variation of this was the Weber Wonderbolt system which, although as SammyA said above was proprietary to Weber, it was also built by Tom Morey's Skegworks. In fact what made it proprietary was that Weber advertised it as his own so no other mfg would touch it. Tom would complain laughingly that he was shoulder hopped on his own invention by Dewey's ad. As Larry Gordon always said, it wasn't who invented something that counted, it was the first to explain it in an ad that counted.

Hobie had a bolt through the top system which was proprietary but I'm not sure if Tom manufactured them or not. I will ask him because I'm interested to know myself..

Oh yes, and you better pass on that "B. Simmons". Certainly not worth the $250. The "Peckertator" on the other hand is quite a collectors item and you better grab it. Actually that was the first name of John Peck's model but Surfer Mag wouldn't take the ad and they had to change the name. (That part is true).