Cork on Deck of Board Now Patented???

Hey Huck thats a good looking board , one other plus for Stonys list is cork floats , are there any negatives ?

I have been doing 2mm CoreCork deck patches on all of my daily drivers for the last 4-5 years.

Grip is as good as wax IMO

I can leave my boards in the truck, on the beach, where ever…

One less thing to think about.

Probably a little extra resistance to denting.

I add my cork after the board is sanded and surf ready.

Takes 30 minutes and lasts at least a year.

Usually the board gets destroyed before the cork lets go.

The only downside imo is that it’s UGLY hahaha

I have been using cork from the craft store since about 2007, mostly in perimeter rails. I think I first saw Paul Jensen doing it. I have made 1" solid cork rails, but I now use XPS foam because it’s a faster and easier build and it’s lighter than cork of the same thickness. I like having a water proof material in the rails.

I think all of the cork boards we have are glassed over and not exposed cork. BB30 gave me and my brother cork boards when he was making them, I have a Gemini shape.

If you are looking for a wax alternative, Wax Mat from Surfco Hawaii is the best stuff I’ve found. I also use this from Viskus, it’s more like a wax than the surfco product.

On another instagram post of his he shows a picture of cork with the fiberglass covering it. But in his pic he’s also showing that the cork layer is on the bottom. Any explanation on that?

Cork gets vac’d on with a layer of glass at the same time. Foam/glass/cork/glass or carbon

I meant any explanation as to performance value. What’s the point of cork/glass on the bottom?

All the usual theoretical reasons for any sandwich-skin build: increasing the skin thickness increases stiffness in the structure.  Plus the cork helps absorb impacts and dampens vibration, all of which are good when dealing with stringerless EPS.  

It’s just stinking fugly, and I don’t have the time to mess with bagging.

Don’t know about “performance.”  But my guess is the high compressive strength of cork under glass and over foam allows the use of low density EPS.  Added benefit, cork should minimize water absorption for fractures, cracks etc.

strength/durability. not a classic build from him. it’s mostly 2x4oz on 1.5eps core his standard.

AMEN.

maybe when Mason Ho was spotted waxing the cork? 

i tried many boards with corecork nl20 as a wax replacement, but it is not for the die hard surfers who really need traction, i guess maybe it’s more for the Huck type of surfers ;) 

Friend of mine owns attached black lb and has surfed it for years with the cork, but then he does no hard cutback, let alone off the tops… cruisers in my opinion are best for corecork as traction, provided the rider is [very] average in skill.

Epoxy APS boards are really chattery if going fast on not perfect waves for me, and i have made many a cork board, veneer board, balsa board and the ones with cork feel best [not hard/bouncy] 

Hi Bill,

Did you or do you surf epoxy board Bill? That would be good news, did you check out kazumas test on instagram of poly vs epoxy on a pu blank? That one is prolly going to surprise you if you look it up.

i love the less chattery feel of corecork nl20 in my eps boards in choppy conidtions…

cheers 

wouter

lighter a board is stiff less it need to be to not « chattery ».  but stiff less are strong less…

there are many epoxy on markets with a large panels of properties. can do exact same test with other epoxy with opposits results, just by change young modulus.

gift from Charlie

Fins by the doc

cork pad by me

board at Peter Poppler’s shaping room waiting for recovery on my nect trip to kauai

the board with those fins scare people

I put cork on several on my boards for grip the new stuff from dave at surfco and what my brother showed me is better

cork as structure is for thickness, moldability, waterproofing and damping

I disagree.

2MM Corecork is good for traction.

As good as regular (non FU) wax imo.

I don’t claim to be a ripper but i’m not a cruiser either.

Pretty sure the …Lost boards use 1mm cork?

The last time I talked with the distributor (2 or 3 years ago), the thinnest they would do was 1.5 mm.  Earlier on, they did some 1mm stuff, but he said it was too problematic to get it that thin.  I don’t know if anything has changed since, though.