covered with dust...

First shape - I skinned my 23" wide old 7’2" single-fin (with some serious difficulty but managed to destroy very little of the foam) and cut the template out for a, in my opinion, good looking 6’6" fish, 18" x 22" x 16". The 7’2" was almost 4" thick so I’m involved with bringing the thickness down to 3". I figured I’d be stuck with using the surform tool - for a long time - to grind the foam of the bottom and started this way. After 20 minutes of passes with the surform I’d gotten maybe 1/8" off over all and took a break to go talk to the friend who kindly is letting me use his garage to shape. I said something like… ‘here’s a good lesson in having the right tools for the job…’ and explained that with a power planer I might be through the thinning process already. He said ‘wait a minute’ - Low and behold, my friends father in-law had given him a tiny electric door planer, with about a 2-1/2" wide blade, when he moved into his house. It was set at 1/8 and could not be adjusted without stopping the motor. With my newness and the amount of foam I had to loose, I figured that what the heck, I’ll pretend to be Parmenter and see how it works. It works damn good - although my skill at keeping the passes even is truly horrible - so I went back to the surform after taking out about 1/2" to even off the holidays. (the old timers are probably cringing now!). But I am happly covered with dust - as is my ‘sainted’ friends garage and everything in it. (I just had a chuckle thinking of my wife freaking out if I had tried this in the apartment - which was actually a last resort consideration.) So I now have a the bottom just about roughed. I need to work on the rails, the Tail, and the deck… Here’s a question - The deck had had a fairly substantial delam fixed at one point by someone filling in the gap with resin. When I peeled the old glass it left the resin ‘field’ which I sanded it down for a good long while without getting it out completely. So I have a deck that needs to be sanded smooth with a patch of resin on one side of the stringer under the back foot. I want to retain as much of the deck foam as possible - the ‘don’t overshape the deck’ idea has sunk in from all I’ve heard so far here. I would rather get rid of the resin on the deck. Better to grind out the resin and fill with something lighter? or just sand the deck and the resin level (that will be hard) and glass over it? I plan on 2 layers of 4oz on the deck. I know the board was surfed for a long time with the delam and think it might be up to a 1/4" to 1/2" deep dent. Ugh. Any suggestions? (Please don’t tell me to scrap it and get a new blank - I’ve wanted to morph this old board for years and I’m having a great time doing it now.) Thanks, Eric

Eric, That sounds like a fun project. Check out this link to an archived thread answering the same quesiton (including input from the Genius). Be sure to search the archives before you post - it may save you time. http://www.swaylocks.com/discussion/archive/index.cgi?read=1739 Let us know how it goes (pics? before & after) Swaylock

Eric: You might try filling the area again (after old resin removal) with a lighter, and whiter filler. Haven’t tried it yet but Jim Phillips mentioned how well resin with plain old table suger works as a good texture,color and ease of sanding. Also the standard microbubbles/QCell fillers. I’d try an area with sugar first. Tom.>>> First shape - I skinned my 23" wide old 7’2" single-fin (with > some serious difficulty but managed to destroy very little of the foam) > and cut the template out for a, in my opinion, good looking 6’6" > fish, 18" x 22" x 16". The 7’2" was almost 4" > thick so I’m involved with bringing the thickness down to 3". I > figured I’d be stuck with using the surform tool - for a long time - to > grind the foam of the bottom and started this way. After 20 minutes of > passes with the surform I’d gotten maybe 1/8" off over all and took a > break to go talk to the friend who kindly is letting me use his garage to > shape. I said something like… ‘here’s a good lesson in having the right > tools for the job…’ and explained that with a power planer I might be > through the thinning process already. He said ‘wait a minute’ - Low and > behold, my friends father in-law had given him a tiny electric door > planer, with about a 2-1/2" wide blade, when he moved into his house. > It was set at 1/8 and could not be adjusted without stopping the motor. > With my newness and the amount of foam I had to loose, I figured that what > the heck, I’ll pretend to be Parmenter and see how it works. It works damn > good - although my skill at keeping the passes even is truly horrible - so > I went back to the surform after taking out about 1/2" to even off > the holidays. (the old timers are probably cringing now!). But I am happly > covered with dust - as is my ‘sainted’ friends garage and everything in > it. (I just had a chuckle thinking of my wife freaking out if I had tried > this in the apartment - which was actually a last resort consideration.)>>> So I now have a the bottom just about roughed. I need to work on the > rails, the Tail, and the deck… Here’s a question - The deck had had a > fairly substantial delam fixed at one point by someone filling in the gap > with resin. When I peeled the old glass it left the resin ‘field’ which I > sanded it down for a good long while without getting it out completely. So > I have a deck that needs to be sanded smooth with a patch of resin on one > side of the stringer under the back foot. I want to retain as much of the > deck foam as possible - the ‘don’t overshape the deck’ idea has sunk in > from all I’ve heard so far here. I would rather get rid of the resin on > the deck. Better to grind out the resin and fill with something lighter? > or just sand the deck and the resin level (that will be hard) and glass > over it? I plan on 2 layers of 4oz on the deck. I know the board was > surfed for a long time with the delam and think it might be up to a > 1/4" to 1/2" deep dent. Ugh. Any suggestions? (Please don’t tell > me to scrap it and get a new blank - I’ve wanted to morph this old board > for years and I’m having a great time doing it now.) Thanks, Eric

Shave out the glass. The deck is already weak. Have fun surfing.

Take out the old resin and fill with Quick Dry dry wall repair. It is what is used on dents and nicks made during mishandling or transporting.

If I can I’ll supply a before and after set of pics - I have the before - as this was my first board owned as a teenager. I’ll try for a during and after shot too. then I’ll need to sneak into the scanner here at work…>>> Eric,>>> That sounds like a fun project. Check out this link to an archived thread > answering the same quesiton (including input from the Genius). Be sure to > search the archives before you post - it may save you time.>>> http://www.swaylocks.com/discussion/archive/index.cgi?read=1739>>> Let us know how it goes (pics? before & after)>>> Swaylock