damaged fin box

i have a severely damaged fin box on my longboard and i was wondering if it would be possible to leave the fin box and the fin inside the box as they lie and then just glass that fin in there as if it were a glass on fin? i was thinking about putting some fin rope inside the box as well as around the fin, and putting a few layers of cloth on the fin like normal. then hot coat, sand, and gloss as usual, would this work? thanks -steve

i have a severely damaged fin box on my longboard and i was wondering if > it would be possible to leave the fin box and the fin inside the box as > they lie and then just glass that fin in there as if it were a glass on > fin? i was thinking about putting some fin rope inside the box as well as > around the fin, and putting a few layers of cloth on the fin like normal. > then hot coat, sand, and gloss as usual, would this work? thanks>>> -steve You should fix it right unless the board is a beater. It would work as long as you make sure you sand the area you are going to glass to, especially if it is a single fin. You are loading and unload a lot of pressure on that fin when you surf, so you want to make sure you have a good bond with the plastic fin box, your cloth (rope) and resin. Make a jig for the box and your router and do it right. My two cents.

i have a severely damaged fin box on my longboard and i was wondering if > it would be possible to leave the fin box and the fin inside the box as > they lie and then just glass that fin in there as if it were a glass on > fin? i was thinking about putting some fin rope inside the box as well as > around the fin, and putting a few layers of cloth on the fin like normal. > then hot coat, sand, and gloss as usual, would this work? thanks>>> -steve steve, If you do you will be doing the following. 1) Adding thickness to your fin foil that was never intended. 2) Anchoring to a marginal medium that will take a lot of prep in hopes of getting a descent bond. 3) Adding unnecessary extra weight. Get a dremil tool and carefully grind the box out. Then if you still want to glass on a fin, cut & fit foam into the cavity. Get a glass on fin from your local supply store.150 grit sand the area around the old cavity. Layup a 6 ounce patch with approximately 1" overlap around the old cavity. The procede with a traditional glass rope and 12 ounce patch 2/3 the way up the fin and an 1-1/2" overlap around your orignal repair. Otherwise replace the box and use the manufacturers recomendations.

steve, I had a longboard that someone had done what you describe. The fin glassed into the box hummed real loud and slowed the board way down. I ended up grinding off the fin and cleaning out the box to use with another fin. Board worked well after this fix

i have a severely damaged fin box on my longboard and i was wondering if > it would be possible to leave the fin box and the fin inside the box as > they lie and then just glass that fin in there as if it were a glass on > fin? i was thinking about putting some fin rope inside the box as well as > around the fin, and putting a few layers of cloth on the fin like normal. > then hot coat, sand, and gloss as usual, would this work? thanks>>> -steve I would: 1. Remove the fin box with a router – grind it from the inside out, without making the cavity any larger. 2. Remove any foam or glass that is damaged. 3. Get a new fin box (Fins Ulimited), longer than the one that’s in there so you can cut it into clean/solid foam and stringer. 4. Mount the finbox with resin and milled fiberglass. Overfilling the hole to cover any damage around the box. 5. Sand it all flat to the original board level. 6. Add a patch of glass over the finbox and surrounding area (this is very important if you have glass damage that extends beyound the box). lightly sand and feather the edges. 7. Hot coat and sand repair area. 8. Go surf’n. http://users2.fdn.com/~shine

which dremel bit would you recommend for cutting out the box?

which dremel bit would you recommend for cutting out the box? I have always used the little 1/8" steel shank with the toothed ball on the end. It looks like a miny ball end mill.

I have always used the little 1/8" steel shank with the toothed ball > on the end. It looks like a miny ball end mill. A friend’s popular brand name longboard’s box became very loose and was barely being held in by the glass. After removing it we noticed that the box was still shiny on the outside. I’ve always been in the habit of at least wiping it down with acetone and giving it a little scuff to help adhesion and a more solid setting. This was the third board I’ve repaired like this, does everyone else prep their boxes?

A friend’s popular brand name longboard’s box became very loose and was > barely being held in by the glass. After removing it we noticed that the > box was still shiny on the outside. I’ve always been in the habit of at > least wiping it down with acetone and giving it a little scuff to help > adhesion and a more solid setting. This was the third board I’ve repaired > like this, does everyone else prep their boxes? I do the same thing. However, I used a “high surf” brand box, and it never stopped releasing film when wiped down with acetone. That is one reason I would insist on using Fins Unlimited Brand.The ridges that come in the fin should be plenty to hold it in. As for adhesion – assuming it was put in right to begin with – I have found that the old box will not just “pop out” when being replaced. Its a big damn deal to get it out - even when damaged. Shine Shine http://users2.fdn.com/~shine