Dave "Davo" Dedrick RIP

What was the time frame re Davo's NA work?

I first worked there in 74 then Davo came in around 76.  He stayed for a good number of years then moved on the Rainbow.  

Classic LP shot of Davo.

great photo. it is hard to say for sure but it looks like he is on a fish or maybe a twin? 

Mike is there a paddle out planned for Davo?

July 16th has been set as date for paddle-out/memorial, no other particulars yet... I'll update as soon as more info is available.

That photo is probably a single fin, but of course I could be wrong. GL might know, he may well have shaped the board.

Dave "DAVO" Dedrick  passed away June 11, 2011. He will be miss by all . DAVO glassed for Natural Art surfboards ,Mike Tabeling surfboards in the 70's then for Rainbow Surfboards until he started his own company known as DAVO SURF DESIGNS one of the first full epoxy factories in the world. He was a Friend and a Mentor.....Rest In Peace my Friend,   Ed Townes

The board was a Natural Art single … I probably did shape that … he glassed all mine.

It was great wave well ridden.  Wish I had known him back in the day.

Boys, I’ll just close with this:  “Life is not a dress rehearsal”

Hey guys - I just ran across this – MD mentioned losing a friend around Le Mans time – I’m sorry for you guys – Davo sounds like he was an awesome piece of work.  Hope you guys bounce into him somewhere out in the universe someday and have some more laughs and story.

(GT, I’m thinking about putting a box in the nose of that board! I think it’ll be fun!)

Greg 

Paddle-out 8:00 am July 16, at 15th Street South in Cocoa Beach.

Celebration of Life 2:00 pm July 16, at Indian Harbour Beach Community Center.

I'll be paddling out on one of the carbon fiber/1lb eps boards Davo glassed for me back in the 80s.

Bump up as paddle out date approaches…

Thanks, Keith.

this thread is worthy of being on top today…I’m sure there will be a good turnout for the paddle-out.

Thanks for putting Davo at the top!

The paddleout this morning was a beautiful thing; about 300 people and at least 150 of them in the water. A lot of them on various and sundry Davo shapes and/or glass jobs. His children placed his ashes in the center of the circle while a nice little set rolled through. I cried.

The ocean surprised us with a fresh couple of feet of north swell, Davo probably sent that for us.... I warned lots of folks to check their cars for improvised bumper stickers advertising unusual sexual preferences (one of Davo's favorite tricks with a piece of 2'' tape).

I went to work for a few hours, shaped a couple while thinking of Dave.

Then it was time for the celebration at the community center. There was great slide show of Davo pics, the boy was not shy around a camera. Larry Pope and I entertained a group with stories about great practical jokes and other antics. Stu Sharpe reminded me of the custom noisemakers Davo would fabricate to scare the bejeezus out of you when you were ''concentrating'' on some important work (or going to the bathroom).

I left a little early to go surfing with my son. I don't think Davo would mind. Perfect glassy peelers greeted me when I got to my beach. We usually have a stiff seabreeze on summer afternoons, but not today. Just lucky? I'm callin' gift from heaven.

I didn't take any pictures this morning, but I'm sure I'll be able to crib some from somewhere on the web soon, and I'll add them here later.

I'm surprised no pics of the paddleout have popped up. I guess I should have taken a camera...

Some on Facebook

a vid of the paddleout, nicely done....

http://surfwatch.smugmug.com/Events/Davo-Paddleout/18313597_rvhss9/1411535641_dkWQZBD#1411535641_dkWQZBD

It is very moving to see so many people turned for DAVO. I bet he must have been looking and smiling wherever he is.

He sounds a GREAT and COOL guy

Mike D

As I read the ATTRIBUTES for DAVO, surely he must have been a FANTASTIC, DOWN TO EARTH, HUMOROUS GUY to ALL who knew him. A loving DEVOTED FAMILY MAN AND FATHER.

YOU GUYS MUST ALSO BE HONORED TO HAVE KNOWN THIS FABALOUS PERSON.

I also read about the thread when he DROPPED OFF his daughter quite a distance away from school, so the kids would not tease her about the van.

Yes, my sister's daughter when at 13, would not allow her mother to kiss her when she was also dropped off at school. I gather its showing your peers as part of independence, growing up AND [YOU ARE NOT MUM'S BABY ANYLONGER] BUT, what would we do without our familes!!!

Ric

1 year later, Davo is missed everyday. Rest In Peace Davo 6/22/1954 - 6/11/2011