Decal paper

So far I have only used clear Decal paper but with some graphics it would make life far easier if I could find a paper thats compatible for glassing onto a board that shows up white.(even on a coloured background)Would rice paper work? Can you put rice paper through a computer printer? Can anyone help! Mark (U.K)

Try Interwest Co.‘s “Silky Heavy Paper”. t- 510-656-0716, f - 510-353-0930, or email . When taped to a piece of 8 1/2 x 11" paper, it is easily fed through a printer. During glassing, this rice-type paper “disappears” and just the color (ink) on the paper is left under the glass. It’s a great way to do logos; through a laser printer, I’ve had no problems with smearing. Is this what you’re going for?>>> So far I have only used clear Decal paper but with some graphics it would > make life far easier if I could find a paper thats compatible for glassing > onto a board that shows up white.(even on a coloured background)Would rice > paper work? Can you put rice paper through a computer printer? Can anyone > help! Mark (U.K)

I went to the art supply store and purchased a pad of rice paper for about $5. I cut it down to size, and ran it through my printer. It works very well. My problem is, I need better graphics software. I can’t really ‘create’ anything. I end up scanning a ready-made design and then dumping it to the printer. Good luck, Gary

I went to the art supply store and purchased a pad of rice paper for about > $5. I cut it down to size, and ran it through my printer. It works very > well. My problem is, I need better graphics software. I can’t really > ‘create’ anything. I end up scanning a ready-made design and then dumping > it to the printer. Good luck, Gary are you using an ink jet printer or a laser printer. does the paper have a designation…type…thickness etc. mahalo, greg

I went to the art supply store and purchased a pad of rice paper for about > $5. I cut it down to size, and ran it through my printer. It works very > well. My problem is, I need better graphics software. I can’t really > ‘create’ anything. I end up scanning a ready-made design and then dumping > it to the printer. Good luck, Gary I’ve been doing the same i.e. handdrawing logos, scanning them in, and ironing out imperfections, and playing around with the colour using adobe photoshop. It’s time consuming but works o.k. This rice paper, does it show up white as in bright white. Does it cover the stringer. The problem for me is that my logo contains a white dog which is fine on any colour board as long as it’s white!! I had a bit of a disaster recently when I sprayed a blank, masking only the area which was to contain the logo, so as to avoid the colour of the logo being corrupted by the colour of the sprayed blank. When I came to glass the blank the decal moved after I positioned it on the white area. It ended up offset revealing just enough of the white area to look terrible. So if I could find a decal paper that stays white, it would save a hell of a lot of hassle. Thanks Mark

i use decal tissue from seabase in cornwall i havent had a prob on white or any colour work yet! and it comes out clear.

i use decal tissue from seabase in cornwall i havent had a prob on white > or any colour work yet! and it comes out clear. Yeah, I do too and it’s great for going clear but I’m looking for something that will show up as bright white on a spray coloured blank. (so you can’t see the stringer or the colour of the blank through the clear part of the decal) Thanks anyway Mark

As far as I know, there’s no such thing as white ink or toner in laser & ink jet printing. This only comes in CMYK. Though I’ve never used it, I’d think silk screening ink would show through as an opaque white and work well in conjunction with rice paper. Problem there is you’d have to design a screen. A cheaper route would be to find a type of white material you could print on that wouldn’t disintegrate during the glassing process. Any ideas?>>> Yeah, I do too and it’s great for going clear but I’m looking for > something that will show up as bright white on a spray coloured blank. (so > you can’t see the stringer or the colour of the blank through the clear > part of the decal) Thanks anyway Mark

No such thing as white on you home printer. It will print as a knock out. The color of the stock (in this case rice paper) will determine what color this knock out will be. Any white you have in your design when printed on rice paper will show the underlying color of your blank. Guys who silk screen lams will put a white flash behind the design (like an alpha channel in Photoshop). Then print your colors over it. I have been unable to find opaque rice paper. If you had that you could print what ever you want on the paper, lay it on a colored board and your white will stay white (even though the computer sees your white as a knock out or absence of color you are printing on solid white). You just better be sure that you cut it out correctly. If you put it on a colored board you will see any mistakes you had cutting out your white paper. Some things to think about, figure out a way to make your rice paper opaque. Let it dry, print to it, them laminate it. Unfortunately when you print to it your quality might not be what you expect. It depends on the complexity of the image. What I have done in the past is simply print on some decent stock of paper. You don’t want something too thick or anything with coating on it, like some photo paper. Just something that will hold a clean line when you print to it, and something that will absorb some resin. If you don’t work it into the paper well enough, it will lift off the board in a bubble. The few that I have done have worked well. They were opaque enough to hide the airbrush color under it and did not lift. I can’t tell you specifically what I used, because I am not sure, it was just laying around, but you can always do a sample piece. If you want to try it, take you logo and drop it into a simple shape (like a diamond, triangle, oval, whatever) so it will be easier to trim out and give it a shot. Or you just mask off areas on your blank when painting, when it comes time to lam, place your regular rice paper logos in those areas. Good luck.

…Get some opaque white Liquitex acrylic paint. Apply generously and carefully to rice paper using a sponge brush. Use wax-paper coated cardboard or something solid, as working surface. The paint will soak through. Let dry thoroughly. Brush on another coat, if necessary(it usually is, to achieve a smooth, consistent, un-blotched coat). Again, let dry completely… You’ll end up with what feels like a piece of cloth. …Now you have opaque rice paper. Feed through the printer (using a piggy-back/feeder sheet). Although not as professional as screening, it’s much less expensive. And should give you the look you’re going for. This worked for me. I printed using a LaserJet and had no problems with blurring/smudging lines. I also painted a layer of gold Liquitex over the white and achieved a nice, opaque, antiqued look. You can see it on the closeup logo of one of my boards in the archives. …deeb…out. GHUNT, CATCH ONE FOR ME!

So far I have only used clear Decal paper but with some graphics it would > make life far easier if I could find a paper thats compatible for glassing > onto a board that shows up white.(even on a coloured background)Would rice > paper work? Can you put rice paper through a computer printer? Can anyone > help! Mark (U.K) This might seem stupid, but why not mask of the area for the decal when painting the board? Or just paint the area white after the gfx is done… regards, Håvard

Hey deeb, I got your email & will respond today. Glad to know you’re alive and well.>>> …Get some opaque white Liquitex acrylic paint. Apply generously and > carefully to rice paper using a sponge brush. Use wax-paper coated > cardboard or something solid, as working surface. The paint will soak > through. Let dry thoroughly. Brush on another coat, if necessary(it > usually is, to achieve a smooth, consistent, un-blotched coat). Again, let > dry completely… You’ll end up with what feels like a piece of cloth. > …Now you have opaque rice paper. Feed through the printer (using a > piggy-back/feeder sheet).>>> Although not as professional as screening, it’s much less expensive. And > should give you the look you’re going for. This worked for me. I printed > using a LaserJet and had no problems with blurring/smudging lines. I also > painted a layer of gold Liquitex over the white and achieved a nice, > opaque, antiqued look. You can see it on the closeup logo of one of my > boards in the archives.>>> …deeb…out. GHUNT, CATCH ONE FOR ME!

Thanks for all the ideas guys Regards Mark