difference between two single fins

So I have my eye on two beautiful single fin semi-guns, and I was hoping to draw on Swaylock’s expertise to determine performance characteristics of each. Unfortunately, I can only afford one.

The first-- 6’10" round pin, vee bottom, pinched rails with bottom edge rolled up (50/50), slight belly in the mid-section of the board.

The second – 7’2" diamond tail that is pretty pulled in. Single concave running from about 18" from the tip all the way off the tail. This board has more outline curve. Rail edges are tucked under, reminiscent of the single fins from the '70’s.

Which one would facilitate more rail-to-rail surfing? Which would accelerate off the bottom better? Any thoughts on the performance characteristics of each?

Ah, so your the reason I couldnt get that name when I signed up to swaylocks!

You beat me to it!

Good to see someone with such a wonderful handle! :slight_smile:

Wow, those are two pretty serious boards, I’ve never ridden anything like them!

But at a guess the 7’2 would be a more responsive machine, despite being longer.

I’ll let the pros tell ya tho, I just wanted to say hello!

Kit

Seems like the 7’ 2" would be more of a big wave board. Something that you can make hard bottom turns, but may be a little stiffer on top turns. Probably something that you could make big gauging turns on solid overhead waves.

The 6’10" would probably be looser, but I’ve found the rolled bottom tends to be a slower design on a short board. Maybe a fun board to ride right in the sweet spot of the wave.

The thickness would also be important because a thicker board with full 50/50 rails will not penetrate as much as a thinner board. The tucked under rail is my favorite, even if the rail is rounder like near 50/50 because the edge along the bottom changes everything.

Quote:

So I have my eye on two beautiful single fin semi-guns, and I was hoping to draw on Swaylock’s expertise to determine performance characteristics of each. Unfortunately, I can only afford one.

The first-- 6’10" round pin, vee bottom, pinched rails with bottom edge rolled up (50/50), slight belly in the mid-section of the board.

The second – 7’2" diamond tail that is pretty pulled in. Single concave running from about 18" from the tip all the way off the tail. This board has more outline curve. Rail edges are tucked under, reminiscent of the single fins from the '70’s.

Which one would facilitate more rail-to-rail surfing? Which would accelerate off the bottom better? Any thoughts on the performance characteristics of each?

If you want to do more rail to rail surfing…why would you choose either one of those boards. There are way better choices. In singles or multi fins.

Solo, I have a number of different options already in my quiver, and I am looking for a single fin. Why don’t you make a suggestion along with your comment that “there are way better choices.” What do you recommend then, buddy?

I have to agree with solo here. first lets get your size, always very important, the waves the board will be used in; remember to some people shoulder to a foot OH is semigun range. I have ridden all manner of singles from 7’2 1970 G&S magic (full length 50/50) to a 6’2 sunset single fin. I gotta say the tucked under rails for shortboard single fins make the board work 10x better. that holds true through the 7’2" Lightening bolt.

Quote:

Solo, I have a number of different options already in my quiver, and I am looking for a single fin. Why don’t you make a suggestion along with your comment that “there are way better choices.” What do you recommend then, buddy?

Not trying to be crass. The fact is neither one of those boards are really made for rail to rail type surfing. Thats what you said you wanted to do or asked which one would be better doing. If I wanted to go rail to rail and wanted to ride a single my answer is always going to be a wide tailed single fin. There are many out there…Horans…Mccoys…Mctavish…some of the old early eighties singles like Button rode.

Guns and semi guns are not made for speed. They are made to channel speed and have control. Rail to rail surfing is for performance. You can do that on those boards…but neither one of them is ideal for it. IMO.

I believe in what I sell…I think the current crop of Horans work unreal for that. I have also seen a really nice little square back fat tail egg nose that looks really nice as well. T Patterson has these little round tail singles that worked really good too.

So…there are my suggestions for what they are worth.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I agree – more info is required. I am 5’9" 160 lbs, 36 years old, and I have been surfing for about 24 years. I would say that I am an above average surfer, meaning I ride all kinds of designs in waves ranging from waist high to triple overhead.

I agree that there are other boards better designed for performance surfing, and I have some of those in my quiver already. I am looking for a single fin that I can ride in clean 10’ - 14’ faces with power – beachbreaks and points. I learned on single fins, and they provide me with sensations and access to lines on the wave face that are un-attainable on other boards.

So my question remains — hypothesize, if you would, on the differences in performance between these 2 designs:

6’10" round pin, hard back edge that rolls up to a 60/40 rail about 1/3 of the way up the board, slight vee.

VS.

7’2" pulled-in diamond tail, single concave beginning 1/3 of the way down from the nose, and extending off the tail. Full rail with the edge tucked under.

As I have already mentioned, I have a host of other “high performance” boards that I ride already. I am not interested in what other designs I “should” be riding – my apologies if my first post was too vague or misleading-- but in what the differences in performance characteristics would be between these 2 boards that, on first glance, look very similar.

Seems like the 7’2" will handle the size and power and have a bit more speed. The other board will turn better, but may not be as fast if the bottom doesn’t have a nice edge for the water to flow off of. I like the straighter tail curve that a diamond or swallow tail offer. I also like the hard point that these boards and modern boards like a bat tail or moon (?) tail have. Seems like you can get a really hard square turn with these shapes.

If you like more curve or bumps in the tail like the merrick flyers, you may like the rounded pin more.

In waves with power at 10’-15’ faces, they should turn just fine. I’d be looking for a board that can go fast when needed. I like to take off on a wave and ride it until I absolutely have to kickout. You need a board that can get around sections and connect bowls to do that. I see that it in the 7’2".

In my experience the wide tailed boards aren’t the best choice for bigger juicier waves.

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I agree – more info is required. I am 5’9" 160 lbs, 36 years old, and I have been surfing for about 24 years. I would say that I am an above average surfer, meaning I ride all kinds of designs in waves ranging from waist high to triple overhead.

I agree that there are other boards better designed for performance surfing, and I have some of those in my quiver already. I am looking for a single fin that I can ride in clean 10’ - 14’ faces with power – beachbreaks and points. I learned on single fins, and they provide me with sensations and access to lines on the wave face that are un-attainable on other boards.

So my question remains — hypothesize, if you would, on the differences in performance between these 2 designs:

6’10" round pin, hard back edge that rolls up to a 60/40 rail about 1/3 of the way up the board, slight vee.

VS.

7’2" pulled-in diamond tail, single concave beginning 1/3 of the way down from the nose, and extending off the tail. Full rail with the edge tucked under.

As I have already mentioned, I have a host of other “high performance” boards that I ride already. I am not interested in what other designs I “should” be riding – my apologies if my first post was too vague or misleading-- but in what the differences in performance characteristics would be between these 2 boards that, on first glance, look very similar.

Go with the 6’10’’ for those size waves and a single fin…why a concave?

Thanks guys — shark country, you describe well what I am after. Solo — why not the concave? Curious…

Happy surfing,

Kit