Different Materials For Surfboards…
I’d like to hear about all the different materials you have used, or plan on using for surfboard construction. Please include kite boards, body boards, skim boards, etc.
Here’s my pathetic list:.
- Standard Clark Foam Blanks, Poly Resin (just the old norm; some were great, some barked.)
- 1# EPS Block Foam, 1/16" Balsa Skin, ½" Balsa Rails (basic Compsand; I liked each and every one, one is my best board ever. )
- 1# EPS Block Foam, 1/8" Luaun Door Skin, 8# Pour Foam Rails (on the cheap; 2 boards like this, completely flat bottom left me wanting more.)
- Hollow Wooden, 1/8" Luaun Door Skin, 8# Pour Foam Rails (Kayak Stitch and Glue style, dead in the water, now a coffee table.)
Want to use:
- Blue Dow Foam, Bamboo Weave Skin
- Blue Dow Foam, 1/8" Luaun Door Skin
- Standard PU Blank, 1/16" Balsa Skin, ½" Balsa Rails
- Bamboo veneer skin
- Yoga Mat vac’d to the deck
- EVA Foam Skin
- Bamboo Cloth
What’s the good, the bad, and the ugly for these different materials?
As far as I know,
Standard Blanks are fast and easy
Balsa Compsands take forever to make, but ride unreal
Door Skin can’t get into the compound curves for subtle bottom contours
Hollow Woodens are more of a curio deal, unless you’re Danny Hess.
Blue Dow Foam is reportedly waterproof
Bamboo Weave is stiff
Bamboo Veneer is a myth, no body has it in stock
Yoga Mats make me do the Upward Facing Dog, and that makes me feel silly
EVA Foam is easily available in too small of sheets
Devinalcel is expensive
Bamboo Cloth seems like it sucks up resin to no end
Ends up all these materials get finished in much the same way…That is with some type of Fiberglass Cloth and Resin on the outside for a waterproof shell. That’s usually 1/3 of the cost for me to build a board.
Any ideas on these or other new materials for Surfboards?