Ding repair turnaround question...

Ok. So I ripped my leash plug and back end out of my 6’6" awhile back at a super secret highly unknown spot in San Diego.

Anyway, I took it a week later to a local surf shop to get repaired. I specifically told this shop about why I came to them. The reasons were the following:

1. I did not have the time to fix the ding myself.

2. I did not want to drop it off at AquaTech because I’ve heard some bad stories lately about them.

3. They had a one week turnaround promise, and I wanted to get it back as quick as possible, no matter the cost.

It’s a month later now, and still no board. I’ve called or gone into the shop several (5ish) times and have been told that they dont do the repairs, they hate it because they make no money off of them, they have no control over it, they’ll give me a call back.

I’m concerned with a few things that have happened over the course of this time.

1. The board’s tail was a swallow tail. You cannot tell that by looking at the board in its damaged state. I asked them to write down that it was a swallow tail so my board came back how it was. They said they did. On one of my visits to the shop, I asked to see the sheet just to make sure. As I suspected, it was not written down.

2. They promised a one week turnaround (with the only exception being broken boards which is a two week turnaround) and its been a month and no board.

3. They say they’ll call the repair place and then call me, and I have yet to receive a call.

4. On my last call to this place (5 minutes ago) the guy told me that there is nothing he could do, and that I could go down to AQUATECH to complain. I told him that I was told the board would NOT be going to Aquatech and he says “sometimes they send them there for no reason at all.” That’s a direct quote.

5. When my board was originally priced, it seemed low. I asked them about it and explained to them it would need a new leash plug, and even showed them on the sheet where it said “New leash plug (price)” and told them that it wasnt checked. The guy said it was fine, and that the “Large Ding” (only thing checked on the sheet) covered that.

What should I do? My mind is to get ahold of whoever is in charge there, and just let loose. The board I have is a T+C 6’6" Thruster and is actually a REALLY nice board. I dont want these yahoos holding on to it and keeping my board. I was told 1 week turnaround (2 week max if my board was broken, which it wasnt) - I STILL havent seen or heard anything about my board, not to mention the repair job could end up like *****.

What would YOU do?

Aloha

Bryan

Hire Mr T and show up saying “I pitty da fool”

Personally i would go to aquatech and tell them to give you the board. If you are scared of them taking your board then go personally and make sure the give the board directly to you. After this is done i am sure there are more than just one person in your area that can masterfully repair your board to as good as new shape or close too.

Another thing to say to the place your originally delivered it was that you want your money back or you want your board back due to the lack of requirement that they promised on a one to two week turnaround on board repairs. If you do this make sure that you have a receipt and a date to when you delivered your board. If you have this one thing then they will have to comply with your request because of the promise that is made with the delivery of your board.

If with these two things do not work for some way or another then a lawsuit for an expensive board such as yours, that was guess on my part, is the only way. I know this sounds drastic but if you are scared of them keeping your board for themselves then this would most likely bring the board out of its hiding place.

If you have any more questions please post because we are all behind you in this.

Ty

Go pick up your board and bring it to me.

Howzit Bryan, The fact that they said they don’t make money on repairs is a joke. There’s way more money in repairs than in new boards. In repair work you can easily make anywhere’s from $ 300 to $ 500 profit with 1 gal of resin. Compare that to about $ 125 to $ 175 profit made doing a longboard which would also take about a gal to make. Those guys need a refresher course in math. If they out source their repair work they should have informed you from the get go, does fraud come to mind. Now to address turn around time, your repair should take maybe 2 or 3 days at the most, especially since most repair guys use UV resin to hasten the work. We have a repair guy here that would have it back to you in probably 1 day, he’s expensive but I’ve sent people on vacation to him and they were more than glad to pay to get their board back in 1 day. Try checking your local bullitin boards for repair guys, when I was doing dings i would post my card on them and they generate a lot of business. I understand that Feral Dave in Aust. has a drive thru window for repair work at his shop. I’ll take an order of fries with that repair please.Aloha,Kokua

Ding repair shops that I found from doing a Swaylocks search

Joe Roper (619) 275-0447

Moura (858) 350-4656

Ding King (760) 753-0316

Stingray via PM

call Scott Anderson @310-578-5860 ,you’ll find him really chatty and personable!

He owns aquatech.

I love it!!!

Let’s all ring Scott…

Quote:

Howzit Bryan, The fact that they said they don’t make money on repairs is a joke. There’s way more money in repairs than in new boards. In repair work you can easily make anywhere’s from $ 300 to $ 500 profit with 1 gal of resin. Compare that to about $ 125 to $ 175 profit made doing a longboard which would also take about a gal to make. Those guys need a refresher course in math. If they out source their repair work they should have informed you from the get go, does fraud come to mind. Now to address turn around time, your repair should take maybe 2 or 3 days at the most, especially since most repair guys use UV resin to hasten the work. We have a repair guy here that would have it back to you in probably 1 day, he’s expensive but I’ve sent people on vacation to him and they were more than glad to pay to get their board back in 1 day. Try checking your local bullitin boards for repair guys, when I was doing dings i would post my card on them and they generate a lot of business. I understand that Feral Dave in Aust. has a drive thru window for repair work at his shop. I’ll take an order of fries with that repair please.Aloha,Kokua

Hey Mike,

As you well know - I have the ability to do the repair myself. Its not a manner of getting a quality repair - more a manner of not having the time to do it with the current situation in my life. I know for a fact I’m being fed a ton of shit, I’m just wondering what the best way to approach this is. I’ve been without a staple in my quiver (although rarely ridden) for a month now, and there were multiple days that have passed that I wish I had the board. Tough luck I guess. I’m going to the shop when I get back from my trip and giving this guy an earful. Might do it by phone tomorrow.

Aloha

Bryan