DIY leash plug

Any proven ideas for mounting the leash without buying a plug?

Do it yourself solutions for a removable single fin would be intresting too.

Thanks,

B

single fin box: drill the box

glass-on fin: glass loop

This may be completely off-track, but Surfco Hawaii makes a peel & stick leash plug:

http://www.surfcohawaii.com/access.htm

Rgds,

P.O.P.E.

Get a piece of 1/2" or so PVC pipe 12" long+/-. Wrap one time with wax paper, lay down a piece of cloth about the width of the length of pipe X 12". Saturate the cloth and lay the waxpapered pipe on one end of the cloth and start wrapping the wet cloth around it fairly tight. When the resin kicks, pull the pipe out. When you get ready to make a leash plug, cut off an inch of the fiberglass “pipe”. Lay down a small piece of wetted out cloth on a small piece of wax paper and set your cutoff piece on the cloth. Now drill 1/8" holes through the pipe from one side to the other about halfway up, and put piece of 1/8" stainless steel welding rod (non-insulated) through the holes. Cut off the long end with bolt cutters. Trim the edge of the bottom of the plug and your done.

do a search for leashloop, leash loop… there are tons about it in the archives…

Leashloop looks way better than any other ways of attaching a leash to a board !

Steve

Quote:

Leashloop looks way better than any other ways of attaching a leash to a board !

Steve

and is likely stronger into the bargain, being tied into the skin of the board, and if you want to relocate it you just sand it off and put another one someplace else.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Quote:

Do it yourself solutions for a removable single fin would be intresting too.

GREAT question! Many ways, you can make a box like the attached…(pic curtesy of someone else who I forgot…) or even develop your own fin system… fun!

hi … i just used a film canister as a mould with two holes in for a nail to go through sideways wrapped a small bit of plasticine around nail …and put in resin and chopped glass … it worked great and looks good to me

perhaps i wasn’t descriptive enough, but i’m really curious to know why everyone goes through so much trouble for something very simple. drill a 1/4" hole through the back of the fin box. fill with resin. let it set. drill 1/8" hole through the middle of your resin-filled first hole. tie a knot in your leash rope and thread it through the hole from the bottom. it’s strong, unobtrusive, and EASY.