Dogs and other insects.

More problems for the backyard boardbuilder#1-Animals, Anyone have any good animal stories? Although he’s mans best friend dogs do not help when making boards! My terrier has just attacked and destroyed the lambswool bonnet on my polisher and I’ve only used it once.He also steals and chews up foam offcuts and any sheets of abrasive paper I leave lying around.This plus all the drips of resin he’s got on his back and on his feet make me think he’s just another problem that us backyarders have to contend with. A mate left his board on his back lawn after going for a surf and his Labrador chewed a foot off the front of his board! Anyone else have similar problems? (cats are worse)

More problems for the backyard boardbuilder#1-Animals, Anyone have any > good animal stories? Although he’s mans best friend dogs do not help when > making boards! My terrier has just attacked and destroyed the lambswool > bonnet on my polisher and I’ve only used it once.He also steals and chews > up foam offcuts and any sheets of abrasive paper I leave lying around.This > plus all the drips of resin he’s got on his back and on his feet make me > think he’s just another problem that us backyarders have to contend with. > A mate left his board on his back lawn after going for a surf and his > Labrador chewed a foot off the front of his board! Anyone else have > similar problems? (cats are worse) …I had a burmese cat named,“Chelsea” or as we called her ,“Jellsea” that use to show up just when I started glassing, she use to sit in front of the fan until she just about passed out ,then stagger away.She passed on about 2 months ago ,she was 18yrs old.Herb

Was well into a wood canoe project (the damn thing was ready for glass) when my dog, Boz, got a hold of it. In the picture on Woodenboat, you may be able to make out what remains of the frame in the background. All the cedar strips were shredded beyond repair. Oh well!!! http://media18.hypernet.com/mywb/scripts/show.asp?state=detail&boatid=1182

Was well into a wood canoe project (the damn thing was ready for glass) > when my dog, Boz, got a hold of it. In the picture on Woodenboat, you may > be able to make out what remains of the frame in the background. All the > cedar strips were shredded beyond repair. Oh well!!! John, That`s one hell of a big termite!

Never had the dog or cat problems, but when I got back into shaping I found an old shack out back at a feed store. At first I was all fired up to have this space. on one side was the feed store on the other side was the livestock pens, & across the driveway was the hay barn. I had chickens, pigs, & goats wandering thru the joint every time I would leave the door open. Most of the time it was managable, but with all this country stuff you also get rats. Did any of you know that rats will actally eat foam blanks? I was there for almost two years. I moved out after I discovered some of my highly coveted balsa planks were nearly chewed in two. The new digs are much neater & with much improved lights & stands & all the comforts, but that old shack will always be the place that got me back into grinding boards. You can build a board on saw horses in your mom’s backyard If your stoked enough.

More problems for the backyard boardbuilder#1-Animals, Anyone have any > good animal stories? Although he’s mans best friend dogs do not help when > making boards! My terrier has just attacked and destroyed the lambswool > bonnet on my polisher and I’ve only used it once.He also steals and chews > up foam offcuts and any sheets of abrasive paper I leave lying around.This > plus all the drips of resin he’s got on his back and on his feet make me > think he’s just another problem that us backyarders have to contend with. > A mate left his board on his back lawn after going for a surf and his > Labrador chewed a foot off the front of his board! Anyone else have > similar problems? (cats are worse) Barge, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Your dog shows you unconditional love, more than any local kooks in the lineup will. All my early boards have Rottweiler hairs in the hotcoat from her scratching and shaking close by!