El Cocko's Centerfold, collapsible surfboard

not really, but it is the best way to make a board look fast!  …do you think the cleaners are gonna find me here in Utrecht?

Tomorrow I wil post some pictures of the connecting system and the alignment pins. i have to make a better picture first.

i rub it !

it has lightenin dolts on it !!!!!!

i don't brake for kleeners !!!!!!!!!

herb

goot job my ming !

herb

I was joshin ya

very nice work

me like

Here’s a picture of the connecting piece. there is an aluminium part glued in the middle. In this part is the thread for the 2 bolts that pull the aluminium “key” piece down. The key piece locks the two halves in place. I routered out some of the heavy maple wood and replaced it with foam to get rid of some weight.  

For the alignement  pins I first glued in 4 pieces of this brown material we had laying around at the art-school. I don’t know what it is called but it is some sort of textile pressed with resin. I glued them in, drilled holes in one side, made some sharp pins and put them in the holes. Then I mated the board parts and at the place of the impressions I drilled holes. Now the alignement was perfect. I glued in the pins et voila.

to connect the parts, fit the connecting piece in one half, slide on the other half. Then make sure the small pins on the sides go into the holes. Ad the key piece and tighten the bolts with an allen key

For transport i made a hard shell case.

I first stacked the two halves with a piece of foamrubber in between. Then I taped it together wth masking tape. I packed the whole in more foamrubber (camping matress) and wrapped it in plastic.

Then made a case bij covering it in glassfiber with polyester.

This case with board fits in a bag my mother made for me and I was finaly ready for my hollidays

That is one thing i want to make too! Let us know how it works out travelling with it. 

So when are the holidays?

I strongly advise everyone to make a collapible too, if that is what you mean!

If you want to make a case for a complete surfboard that that can't also be too hard.

In the end the board turned out to be a bit on the heavy side, but I wasn't really afraid of that because I heard good stories from people riding hollow wood boards. they tend to be a bit on the heavy side too. I must say that once in the water you can barely notice the weight diferences, but maybe that is also caused by my poor surfing!

I have this note on the boardbag saying: "FRAGILE INSTRUMENT, TOP LOAD PLEASE". The bag looks like it contains an instrument or something like it, being rather big and light. At the airport there were no questions asked and it checked in without a problem. I had to bring it to the odd sized luggage, but it came back through the normal luggage belt.

Next week I'm taking it to France, Normandie, Siouxville, Hatainville area (sorry French readers if I misspelled) to see if I can catch some summer waves with it. I will post a ride report if people are interested.

If there are people here on Sways who like to build a collapsible too, I will give them any advise they need.

regards,

Erwin Woldring

WOW!!!

I made a three piece once, for two reasons: Not to pay board bag fee’s, and to try and have a flex tail…  The later was its undoing, but the start of my Swaytrip.

I like the way you built the blank for the purpose… I shaped a boad then shaped bands around it to have extra glass there for when I cut it.  (I’d started an earlier attempt by shaping and glassing the middle/“belly” section - then a tail, and when I went to hook them up… with my first attempt at a flex attachment… It was so flexable and not very lined up, I started over from scratch…) 

Great to see - I may revisit the idea some day…  Thanks for the awesome, detailed shareing.