Epoxy final coat problems

Hey Oceans23,

If you just want to polish the rails out and leave the rest alone. Scrape the bead off with a single edge razor blade. Then wet sand it with 220 with a block to keep the lines perfect. Then you can use a piece of scotch brite for a pad and wet sand it down to 1500. The rest is polishing work that can be done with rubbing compound. That should make it shiny enough I think.

Mahalo, Rich

I just wanted to let you all know that the final coat came out very good. I sanded, wiped down the board(w/solvent), wore gloves to tape it, wiped it down again and let it dry as I mixed my batch of epoxy.

Final had a few zits - since even with a cleaning the shed is still pretty dusty - but no pulls or runs. I cut off the bead on the tape edge, sanded w/400 and put Future on that. All in all, it looks much better than any final coat I’ve done before.

Thanks very much for the help!

Eric J

…hey EricJ, Future or whatever dont seal nothin at all, in a few surf days the coat leaves you…

Hello Greg and folks here, goodday to ya.

Have got this problem time and again with the gloss coat. Wverything is clean and new, brush, room, bucket, nitrile gloves, board, no dust nowhere. Room temps are good and so are the humidity numbers…

What i get is small dots on my gloss. Everytime. Smaller than 0.4 mm for sure. They can be sanded off ok. but still…

It seems to be less when i mix the F in after mixing resin and hardener first. I dont know what it is, but it is all over the board. I always heat my F, but the gloss mix always goes cloudy, and i suspect the F to F… it up for me…?

What is it? I dont want to sand with 400 grit, i want to start attacking my gloss coat with 600-800 at least.

What do i do wrong?

What i want to achieve is the flattest of gloss coats possible.

Thanks for any ideas and feedback

Wouter

i think i’ve gotten the same “dots” once when i used too much add F…they sanded out fine. I believe they are just little wax balls where the wax has accumulated.

see pix…

it came out fine…

also, here is a RR epoxy board that came out pretty shiny…i believe i only wet sanded to 800.