epoxy lap grinding.....what do you wear

i am making my first epoxy board and have noticed that after i do each lap grind i get itchy fore arms, i wear a 3m half face mask long pants and a jersy but always tend to pull the sleeves up out of habit.the first time i did any lap grinds it was in the evening and i had a shower and went to bed and just thought i had been bitten by mozzies or midgies, but the last time was a bit earlier and i noticed i was getting a lil bit itchy and started to wonder if it was due to glass being in the dust from my lap grinds that i was coming into contact with(which you dont get with poly cause its kinda tacky at the lam stage).

so just wondering if anybody else has noticed this? or if everyone else uses the full hooded dust suites and a full face mask so that they are totally covered while lap grinding???

so boys and girls what do you wear while grinding your laps or doing any sanding for that matter???

cheers

James

Have a look at bammbamm’s glassing video. He wears a 3M organic vapor and particulate mask and a t-shirt with cut off sleeves.

You could try putting a barrier cream on your arms. I have to put an emulsifying ointment around my eyes when I’m sanding epoxy otherwise I get really itchy eczma like crud on my eyelids (needs a steroid cream to clear it up). It works really well.

Karl

so is that from the fibre glass in the epoxy coming into contact with you or is it a reaction to the epoxy dust?

Hi Hunty. Mostly epoxy dust I think but guess the sanded glass don’t help. Doesn’t take much to get the itch goin now.

well i think going all out with the saftey gear may be in order after reading this.

http://www.mrfiberglass.com/safety_information.html#Understanding%20Overexposure

i wear a respirator and a painting suit when sanding

but just some gloves when glassing

its odourless with low voc so you dont need a mask when glassing

and just keep it off your skin

Hey Hunty, keep your sleeves rolled down and maybe wear some gloves and you shouldn’t get the itch, it’s mostly from the dust irritating your skin, barrier cream sounds like a good idea too, but i’ve never tried it.

cheers

What’s up Hunty. Try baby powder. When I’m grinding anything I re-apply baby powder all day long. If I get in a hurry and skip it, I itch like crazy. Def. helps me out. Cheap too.

Itchy itchy,…

Epoxy, though hard after a day still is reactive and contains the stuff that allergies come from. Protection is necessary. The reaction should be complete enough after a few days so if you really suffer allergy issues then perhaps waiting a few days will help. Postcuring in an autoclave will definatly help if you have one available.

The hardners are the irritant/allergenic substance and it is important to realize that the sanding dust may contain unreacted hardner in this initial time period. If you must sand in this period then you should have your upper body covered and at the least a very good dust mask rated for fine particles, eye goggles are also highly recomendable.

With RR and similar “Surfboard” resins you probably will not need a VOC (active carbon) cartridge as long is your room is ventilated but if your vapour mask is rated for fine dust particles, sure, use it if you feel more comfortable with it. Again, it is the hardner that is the potential harmdoer but the amount of vapour produced is really insignificant if you room has decent ventilation. Also note that if your cartridges are not kept in airtight containers they are useless, the active carbon will react with the surrounding air within a matter of hours… so if you do have VOC masks, keep in an airtight container to minimize the loss.

What youv’e experienced is bog standard fibreglass itch, its caused by the fibreglass dust, nothing to do with the type of resin your using. Though you make more dust with epoxy as the lam sets hard.

The dust gets into the pours of your skin and that makes you itchy, espically if its hot and your sweeting.

After a few years you won’t even notice it, but gloves and long sleaves help keep the dust out, a cold shower will help get any dust out, (cold stops your pours opening and getting more dust in) if its really bad rinse with cold water and srub with a green scotch brite pad (the kind for scrubing dishes, sink etc)

If its still causing you grief rub talc in your skin to fill the pours before sanding.

Goes without saying you should where some form of repitory protection when ever your sanding fibreglass.

try doing a search for fibreglass itch, or the itch for more info.

where is the video located? Can someone please paste in the URL.

thanks!

festool dustless sander = 3M paper mask, glasses, boardshorts and shoes…

Dave,

I completely agree, but if you are a person that uses AddF, I would suggest a respirator, just for comfort’s sake… The Xylene odor can be pretty powerful.

JSS

Im one of the lucky ones who doesnt have allergic reactions to resins, epoxies and the glass dust dont bother me

I wear shorts ,tank top and sandals

my sander sucks up most of the dust and I sand with the door open and the ocean breaze blows the rest away so no resperator on my face

When glassing I wear rubber gloves and use uv hardner so the fumes end soon enough

Quote:
Have a look at bammbamm's glassing video. He wears a 3M organic vapor and particulate mask and a t-shirt with cut off sleeves.

Just keep doing lots of em. After a few thousand, your brain decides the itch is backgroud noise and you no longer perceive it. It really happens that way.

Seriously, it helps if you don’t touch the dusty parts of your body at all. Blow the dust off w/air, then wash w/water.

Quote:

where is the video located? Can someone please paste in the URL.

thanks!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-371149051680239499&q=bammbamm808&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=335852;#335852

Jip, I saw your mention of Festool, googled it and found this article about sanding wood floors with a 6-inch.

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/RO150FEQ_review_ms.pdf

Oh, I have to disagree, I have ground as much glass as any other man on the planet and I can say, epoxy/glass combo is very much worse than just plain old polyester/glass itch.

I had a styro custom that the customer jumped off the rocks and hit the fin, this drove the box out the deck.

I sanded the deck first and reglassed with 3 layers of 6 oz., I carefully block sanded out the deck as it was a new board and wanted to cosmetically keep it looking new. The block sanding was done without gloves and it was the WORST glass itch I have ever had, my fingers and knuckles were on fire with the ITCH, now I foiled 585 fins in one night for Fins Unlimited, that was a walk in the park compared to that repair

It does sounds like there is an allergic reaction to the epoxy sanding dust.

I’ve been having pretty bad lung problems from sanding this summer, even after switching to a ‘dustless’ sander. My problems have coincided with switching to a cheaper epoxy, now I’m wondering if it’s a result of less safe chemicals in the budget resin. I remember Greg Loehr saying that the cheaper chemicals tended to cause more allergic reactions.

Hunty, which epoxy are you using?