Epoxy Question

What is the advantage of Epoxy boards vs. the traditional process? Is the foam different? When glassing an Epoxy board is their a different ratio for mixing catalyst with the resin? Somebody educate me please!!!

Check this link: http://www.suncure.com/Manufacturing/Surfboard%20blank/moreinfo.htm>>>>>>> Plus this post from previous thred this week:>>>>>>> Re: Articles on Epoxy/stryo production Greg Loehr – Monday, 23 June 2003, at 9:31 a.m.Coda is one of our customers. His name is Steve Forestall and he makes some nice boards and is actually next door to Resin Research. The blocks your asking about can be bought from Imperial Foam in Ormand Beach. That foam is very light, 2# per cubic foot, and has a high strength to weight ratio. The standard glassing would be 2 layers of 4 oz. on the bottom and 3 layers of 4 oz. on the deck. That is industry standard for that construction. You may put more glass on to make it stronger. For the standard lamination a shortboard usually comes out around 5 lbs.

The advantages are many. Epoxy is stronger so the board comes out stronger with better resin. Since epoxy is stronger it takes less resin in the laminate to do the same job as polyester. And epoxy has a slightly lighter specific weight. This makes a lighter board even with the same blank used for the poly. In fact with epoxy on Clark foam you can use a green blank and it will come out the same weight as the same glassed poly lamination using a blue. And MUCH stronger. You can laminate ANY foam with epoxy. Not just urethane. This gives you the option of making your own blanks. Our new epoxy system is faster than MEK initiated poly so production times are quicker. Cosmetically epoxy is clearer making a whiter board. Yellowing is also slower than with poly. Epoxy can be cleaned up with soap (GoJO type) and water. There is no need for clean up solvents. Epoxy has very little vapor (odor) so work can be done almost anywhere. No masks are necessary with just moderate ventilation. You use approximately 1/3 the amount of epoxy resin to build a board as you would polyester. These last three, immediately above, give you an indication of the reasons epoxies are better for the environment and for labor. Epoxy gives the laminator more work time and there is no real “gel” time to catch you. The resin just gradually thickens as it begins to harden. This allows a higher quality laminate. All the newer fabrics (Kevlar, carbon, s glass, etc.) were designed for use with epoxy. Not surprisingly, they all perform best in an epoxy matrix. I think that covers most of it. Did I forget anything guys?

Often you see boards glassed with high strength S cloth and polyester, but they still end up breaking.The reason is that the poor elongation quality of poly means the resin fails long before the fabric reaches and then exceeds it’s tensile strength.Put epoxy in it’s place and now the matrix and the reinforcment are working together, as Greg commented re. the advanced fibers Carbon and Aramid being designed to work with epoxy.So, a laminate with S cloth and poly is not only weaker than E cloth (standard surfboard fabric) and epoxy, but it is more expensive !I’ve been curious to try a laminate that stands somewhere between the 2 mentioned above - the old carbon/S cloth “Kelly Slater” center strip done first with epoxy, then lightly sanded, with the rest of the lam Suncure poly and E cloth ! Cheaper than full S cloth and epoxy but just a fraction dearer than poly ??? Anyone got some feedback on how that one goes ?

For the weight (and cost) of the extra step and then follow up with poly, it would be stronger (and probably cheaper) to just use epoxy and laminate it with heavier cloth. The real secret to epoxy is the resin to fiber ratio. The weight savings can translate into the ability to use more cloth, or a heavier (stronger) blank. A 4 oz epoxy laminate is only marginally stronger than a 4 oz. poly. But the 4 oz poly is as heavy as a 6 oz epoxy. Strength to weight ratio. Now what John said about s cloth was exactly right. Now if you add s cloth into that heavier cloth, epoxy lamination, now were talking about some real advantage! And one other thing I mentioned above, with epoxy you use 1/3rd the amount of resin as with poly. So the cost isn’t what you think. It’s only marginally more to use epoxy. I have a customer in New Jersey, Fly. He claims that a 15 gal. set of epoxy goes as far as a drum of poly. They cost the same and he gets the advantages I posted above.

Hey Greg , Off topic , I read in the newer Longboarder , about the easter contest in Cocoa bch., you won the geriatric divition. It looks good on ya mate! Way to go.

Greg , I was just poking fun. It sounded as if there was great competition on a wonderful weekend.

Greg, do you have small sample bottles of your brand of epoxy for international customers to purchase ? I investigated a “free” UV epoxy sample recently from Star Technology but the Fedex freight was US$45 for 130 ml.!!! Do you have any southern hemisphere distributors ? My e-mail is:

Greg: What does your company – resin research – do/sell? Thanks Scott

Yes I won at Easter. I guess that makes me officially OLD. I don’t usually enter those things but the Easter contest is fun and I heard there was going to be a swell. Six feet off the end of the pier with 3 other guys out. And I get $400 for my trouble. Nice way to spend a weekend with a bunch of old friends. John, where are you located? Shine, we manufacture and sell Resin Research Epoxies. You can call us at 321-779-2369. Or e-mail me at Our Western distribution opens soon.

WOW! I thought you CANT use epoxy resin on a PU clark foam blank? Also how does an epoxy board ride compared to a traditional PU surfboard? pros? cons? big difference? or hardly noticeable?

since no one answered you, i will. epoxy sticks to just about anything. even clark foam. i’ve been using it on my boards for a couple years now, works good, makes it possibly a little lighter than a typical polyester resin glass job and holds up well. as far as performance goes, i don’t really see much, if any, difference. what i do like is the lack of voc’s and just the overall strong smell of polyester resin in my glassing room.