Epoxy resin swirl advice

When someone can do something like this with epoxy I’ll be impressed. 

Until then… 

I wasn’t out to impress anyone, and didn’t waste any resin. Just mixed up a few very small cups of epoxy resin (the little salsa cups you get at the restaurant) with different colors, dripped them on the glass cloth, and squeegeed in a kinda s pattern.

So iv kept up with all the advice here and have continued my search. Watched some videos. Seems there are a few ways i can go about this. 

Option one is mixing a batch of green and white resin in separate buckets. Pour some green resin in a third bucket, swirl some white resin into that bucket, give it just one quick “whip” with the mixing stick then apply the green/white resin. Repeat until board is saturated. 

Or option two is apply straight green resin to board, then add the white in small amounts in a swirl or “S” pattern. 

Honestly not sure how I’m going to tackle this. I’ll be starting the board late next week. Hopefully do the glassing on Sunday. Seems either technique will get me the effect im after. Might have to run through some of these pictures with my buddy and show him. Explain that there are no promises as this is my first time attempting somthing like this (he already understands this). Let him decide on my approach based on the difference in effect achieved by each option. 

Keep the advice/suggestions/pictures coming. They have all been very helpful and informative. I thank you all

Whatever color hits the cloth first, that’s the color it will be.

I’ve done a few, handles different to pu but works. Definitely seal the blank first, you can’t work the resin as much as solid colour so more risk of draining/ dry spots/ delams.

I do remember one guy on here who did a basic pigmented lam and then added colored drips as part of the filler coat.  He was able to sand it all flush and ended up with a nice abstract.  I’m sorry I don’t remember who or exactly when but a long time ago.  Maybe drive yourself batty searching through the board archives…  if I can find I will post.

EDIT:  I think it was this one by Austin but the description has gone missing.  Also, I don’t think it was epoxy, but:  https://www.swaylocks.com/node/62321

Yeah, Austin never used epoxy. That’s one of the contributing factors as to why he stopped making boards.

from the floor of my glassing area. how hard can it be?

I’ll try and post. The board looks much better in person than my iphone camera. Yes, I forgot to cut the laps. Did it before my young friend, the glasser, used the squeegee. Mike

another

jAnother. A bit of Scott’s ashes were mixed into the lam. Beer was involved so Scott would approve. My advice is to have fun with it. Don’t over work it. Mike

We used Scott’s epoxy. A blank he had begun to shape, his glass, his tools, his fin we cut up and glassed on. Thick the way he liked his boards. Fun fun fun. There were a couple shots of tequila involved as well. Keep it simple for your first.  Mike

Just finished the board. It came out ok. Not great but i wouldn’t call it a homerun either. Good learning experience. I think i may of actually used to much resin? Or possibly it was because i goofed and forgot the addF. 

I’ll post pictures tomorrow. Thanks again to all the folks that contributed advice. I was swinging for the fences, especially considering this is only my second attempt at shaping. All the advice was/is much appreciated

Amazing Charlie!  Reminds me of a Grateful Dead Concert I went to many moons ago.  Very Vivid.  Lowel

I won’t name names, but;  A good friend in the SC Ghetto who is one of the best shapers alive, employs an “in House” laminator.  His laminator did a Board recently that was done the way you are talking about.  Dripped resin in the hot coat.   The whole thing was an attempt to clean up a mistake in the lam.  Sanding was the kicker.  It took more time than it should have.  What resulted was a one of a kind board that took too much time and could never be duplicated.