epoxy surfboards vs fiberglass surfboards

XPS is for people who take care of their boards, keep them out of the sun, and prevent them from getting cooked.   Those people are not part of the customer base for this vendor.   

There are some tweaks that can be used to improve upon the older XPS methods.

Your customer base would have to be educated for sure.

Agreed.  For an adult who will use a board bag and store their board inside XPS cponstruction makes sense.  Kids and others who are accustomed to skipping the use of a board bag or are otherwise careless need not apply.  IMO

I have to tell you, I began East Coast surfing in 1965, and I don’t recall the “surf industry” as presented to customers and potential customers here ever being any different from that. An occasional shop owner was the exception, but nothing beyond that.

All I make are EPS boards, they take longer to make, but if you are erious about performance they are better than poly, And now a days I can get them to look as good as any poly board. And yes they completely suck water in if dinged.  That 33 degree company buys container load of over seas garbage.  You are what you eat they say

Hell they look better than the average Poly.  But;  Perform better?  That would be determined by the rider.  Different yes.  Better not necessarily.   I just did a repair on an EPS/Epoxy shaped and glassed by a guy who has done nothing but for years.   An obvious five fin heavy dog.

Interesting… Does he over build them with heavy cloth, or are the shapes slightly off?    I had a hand full of guys I shape for request poly builds, one by one I told them to try the same board in EPS, same build schedule 6x4 top 6 bottom, 2 lb eps foam…everyone of them are EPS converts now.   IDK if i could get away with building poly boards I would, poly is ez:  EZ to shape, EZ and fast to Glass, EZ to sand and gloss.  EPS will fight you at every step.

Cheers my friend.

[Quote=“samiam2”]I have to tell you, I began East Coast surfing in 1965, and I don’t recall the “surf industry” as presented to customers and potential customers here ever being any different from that.
[/quote]

Just might be. If so, that’s sad. Like I said, it’s the way it’s going now that I take exception with, regardless of when or how it began. 

Everybody needs a little dose of due diligence to do their homework if they want the actual truth. Just sayin :slight_smile:

personal fan of epoxy over PU, very hardy, retains pop…average surfer these days knows as little about board construction as they do rocker,…but they can tell you their volume requirements to the tenth of a liter …

Another example of bad info being spread by people who should know better. This shop in New Hampshire has existed since the mid 80s. The owner has been surfing for at least 40 years. Read the descriptions for these used boards. You have to click on the individual item.

https://www.cinnamonrainbows.com/used-surfboards?category=Longboard