Epoxy vs Poly; Lest Ye Forget

I acknowledge your EpoxyPoly builds and your statements above regarding durability.  Your three points above confirm what I have always said ;  EPS springs back to rockerbetter than Poly, but EPS is more likely to snap at a certain stress level.  Whereas Poly will go farther under stress, but does not spring back as well as EPS.  So with Poly creases and buckles are more likely.   A lot of new people around Sways these days.  Just a reminder that a Poly core with an Epoxy skin is a solid combo.  Not as smelly either.  Especially when you are new to glassing and doing it in your apartment or garage and your wife has a sensitive nose.  Lowel

Just piling on with support for using epoxy.  I have built around 20 boards and all have used various blends of RR epoxy.  I understood, early on, that epoxy would yellow over time, so I always have added color. I also glass them pretty strong (double 6 oz e glass top and bottom).

All of my boards are still alive and well 12 years into my board building addiction.  This is a problem because I am running out of room to store them.  I have never sold a board.  My early color work was f’ing ugly.  Some may argue that my latest work is problematic as well given that epoxy resin swirls are never as nice looking as poly swirls. I still love each one as if it were a child, though.

Regarding PU vs EPS blanks + epoxy – I have done both.  My son dropped one of my PU/Epoxy longboards down the wooden staircase in front of Jack’s.  It bounced, slid, turned a corner, and then slide some more before coming to rest at the bottom.  To my surprise it survived without any dings.

That said, I personally prefer shaping with EPS.  I always us USBlanks EPS.  It’s easy to work with and sands nicely.  I think the main thing that I dislike about PU foam is that the dust gets in my eyes and itches more than does EPS.  I always wear a 3m respirator (with the round pink filters) while shaping and sanding.  I don’t usually wear a mask when laminating with epoxy.  I have read that RR has pretty low voc’s.  I always have the garage door open to provide plenty of fresh air just to be safe.

One of the best boards I ever had was epoxy over poly, super light and strong and this was a long time ago.

Too bad I can’t use epoxy anymore cause I’m allergic to it. Don’t let the lack of smell fool you, alway gear up when using it.

I’ve had very mild epoxy allergy symptoms.  Enough to know to be extra careful.  Its all toxic.