EPS Sealing - Spackle vs Epoxy w/Microballoons

Interesting that this debate still comes up.   The problem with Spackle these days is finding a good one.  I’ve been using Sherwin Williams Liteweight Spackle of late.  A lot of the liteweight brands have been reformulated.  Too much acrylic and the color has changed to a gray.  Acrylic tends to ball up when screened.  These balls can scratch your blank.    Brands that I have used in the past but won’t use now are;  Fast n Final and Ace.

i stop spakle quickly after i find the good product in europe, same as what greg loehre describe so i don’t know if it change too. after some no spackle boards and my one peel test i come back definitively to epoxy pigment micro cabo past (same consistancy as diluate spackle) find it’s the way to go for me.

…hi Lemat, can you post photos of the applied resin and aerosil?. What about if you have stringers? I have been seeing differents approaches.

Thanks

i don’t have photos, i will take next board. i do my mix around 1/3 resin 1/3 micro 1/3 aerosil, so it’s no runny at all but spread easily thanks to aerosil. but with that much aerosil it’s don’t sand well so i scrap it well to not have to sand too much. except specific color works i like to laminate bottom on fresh seal, so only sand top.